James Christians_Nam
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf Mk7 Gti

9n3 GTI Shocks and Camber Questions

Post by James Christians_Nam »

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and I'm from Namibia. I cant find any help here in Namibia and I've searched the internet for many, many days looking for info but have found nothing solid or concrete... :type: :rant:

I have a 2008 9n3 Polo GTI with +/- 115 000 on the clock. Got it around 80 000 on the clock and I bought it from my moms. Now during the time she had the car she asked someone to drive for her or she loaned the car to someone and this person was in an accident and hit a pavement. The car was repaired and so on, I'm not sure what was damaged and what was fixed but I assume it was the ball joints and tie rods and shocks maybe. They seem okay I've had a look at the joints and rods they seem fine. There is some play in the wheel but it comes from the control arm, on the front side of the control arm and not the common 9n3 bushes that normally fail.

I have the last alignment results as follows,
Front Right -1.30
Front Left -2.05
Rear Right -1.68
Rear Left -1.32

I don't know how to upload a pic, my bad. Now my issue is with the front left wheel's camber. The car feels quite unstable at high speeds (It has since Ive had it), around 160 to 180 Kph. And the ride is on the hard side as well. Could this camber be caused by a failed shock and is the camber affecting the stability? And if so could I replace it with a standard 9n3 shock? Im aware the non GTI model shock differ from the GTI ones but in what way? And what would I be risking if I do fit these standard shocks? I know there is no way to adjust camber on these vehicles. And aftermarket parts are very hard to find here and are expensive if I manage to find them.

I called the local dealer here in Namibia, Im in Windhoek by the way and they want 1500 for each shock front and rear. We have a Goldwagen here but they are useless.

I hope to get some clarity and advice on what to do.

Thanks.
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Re: 9n3 GTI Shocks and Camber Questions

Post by Unobeat »

Contact GW Delary and see if they can get you shocks and courier to you.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

you cannot adjust camber on them. So if it is out something is bent.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
James Christians_Nam
Enlisted

Exactly yes. I plan to rotate them soon. I believe they are the same each side and will fit in just to see if it is the shock that is bent.

Thanks.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

It is not just the shock that can bend and a bent shock is sort of visible. The arm that is part of the hub carrier that the shock mounts into also bends and they are not obvious.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

James Christians_Nam
Enlisted

Are you talking about the knuckle? The part that holds the brakes and so? I see yes, could be that. When I rotate the shocks and there is no change in camber then It has to be the knuckle/ hub carrier.

Thanks...
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Yes knucle / hub carrier / bearing carrier whatever you want to call it. The thing that everything bolts to in the middle. The bit that goes up to the shock is made to give way a bit to absorb impact. So they actually bend quite easily in an accident where pavements are involved.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

@OP sorry for hijacking..

@Panic, since u are more experienced than most others here I have a question for u..

I have seen the 9n camber topic pop up a few times regarding "bending camber" and I read that its not a good idea doing so. Every workshop that I have been to that does wheel alignment (all useless in my opinion) says "it" must be bent, and they dont seem keen to explain what they are actually bending.
And as u stated above, that a stub-axle (thats what i call it) is made to give abit of way, is that what's being bent when they try to correct the camber?

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk
When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
James Christians_Nam
Enlisted

See Panic's previous cars!! Ooh I love that RS6 but dont have the money to maintain it... Lol. Im good with my baby GTI for now.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

It's not a stub axle. It is part of the hub carrier. And if anybody has to bend stuff to correct camber I always get very worried becuase there is something inherently wrong. Also correcting it could rather mean they have to simply undo the subframe and moving that over specially it it is + one side and - the other side.

James the cars list are current cars. Not enough space to list previous. There is around 60.
Last edited by panic-mechanic on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

So something on this assembly is possibly bent if the shock is straight. And as hard as it might be to believe it bends in the area between the two yellow paint marks. Or like I said - the subframe possibly moved.

'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

James Christians_Nam
Enlisted

:eek: :crazy: :drool: :drool:

Respect Panic.

I can see how it would be hard it would be to see damage there. I think Im gonna have to remove the hubs as well and have a look at them.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Yeah seems very difficult if not impossible to tell if thats bent. Buying that part used is also not a very good idea then..

We need to find proper alignment shops in each city/area and make that a sticky

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
James Christians_Nam
Enlisted

I called my local VW dealer and they charge 1500 for a shock, front and rear. They couldnt give me a price to fit them. They said that the Polo GTI shock is shorter and thats all difference. Can anyone verify this or shed some light?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

yes shorter by around 15mm
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

James Christians_Nam
Enlisted

So Ill be sacrificing some ride height? Is the damping the same? If I use standard 9n3 shocks with the GTI springs will the ride be bouncy? I think I may have to look into coil overs. Stock GTI shocks are too expensive for me here in Nam.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Maybe do some research on a polo tdi sportline shock? I know that the oem springs on sportlines are lower than highlines, trendlines, etc.. maybe the shock is short aswell and possibly similar if not the same height as the gti..?

James Christians_Nam
Enlisted

Ill have a look into that yes. I think it uses the same shock as the Gti. If thats the case it might be worthless trying to get those. They'll cost the same as the Gti shock

Sent from my SM-A300F using Tapatalk
James Christians_Nam
Enlisted

I spoke to Tyre Rack today. They the can get me Max Trax coil overs for 8300. LOL... And they dont fit them either.
Namibia neh. Kills my vibe.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Maxtrac in SA sells for about 5k. Would be much cheaper to buy it here and have it delivered to u.

I have heard alot of people complaining about maxtrac coilovers though, most preferred is JOM. And if im not mistaken, theres a diy on coilovers on 1 of the forums

James Christians_Nam
Enlisted

Yes I understand the JOM Blueline is the way to go. For what do they go for? Im sure I could get a contact number here on the forum somewhere and then organise delivery an so on. It shouldnt be that hard to install. I dont mind getting my hands dirty.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

A few guys had them on special recently for about R5100. Check gumtree for latest pricing, or alternatively contact the JOM warehouse which should be in Jhb if im not mistaken, for a safer option.

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

I still thinking you a reaplcing the wrong item to solve your problem.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

James Christians_Nam
Enlisted

I hear you Panic. Im not going to buy anything if Im not completely sure. The hub carrier u suggested could be the issue here. I think my best bet is to get the hubs together next to each other and have a look. I think if I rotate the shocks (Looks possible) I can narrow out the shocks and then It should be the hub carrier.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

It would be difficult telling a difference of a few degrees by eye, taking the shape of the part into consideration