BWA intakes stories

dieprofeet
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

BWA intakes stories

Post by dieprofeet »

Hi Guys,
I'm well aware the inductions/intakes/CAI topic on the BWA engine is as old as the mountains. I'm also well aware of all the responses about to follow. I'm dripping new to this forum and regard all the advise here as #1. So here goes. I'm driving a 2007 TT BWA 147kw FWD. I started playing around with all the obvious mods like down pipe and intake and and and.
Being a newbie I managed to source a Motorcade intake (yes I know everyone...hear me out). I'm working in the petro chemical industry and pipes and tubing is my field of expertise. I know how much material cost and I know how much welding labor is. In fact, intakes that you guys are paying 5-7k is merely a couple of hundred bucks for material. So I just refused to be suckered.
Only after I fitted the motorcade intake I realized why these things are 7k. Initially the car pulled like a rocket, until I got onto the N1. Managed to get 110kmh full taps. I had to move to the left lane jumping between 4th and 5th just to avoid trucks ramming me from behind. I took it back to Motorcade and someone there told me a long sad story (which I don't care to share).
Only then I learned about scaling and MAS sensor position...
So the next day I received my new and improved Motorcade intake back. The area where the mas sits are reduced and the mounting block of the Mass had been lifted. Looks horrible, but I reckoned this guy was reading the same forums as I did.
Must say, after this mod the car was perfect. It sounded nice, pulled like a bullet and I was very happy. 6 months down the line without any hassles. I ended up commuting between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth. Still no issues.

Until 2 weeks back. just outside J-bay on my way to CT. same story. Lost power... I drove all the way to CT full throttle 100-110kmh. No boost. no power. I can hear the turbo is venting all the time. swooossshhhhhhhh..... noting going into the engine. Just a DV blowing into the intake. sir lowries pass- 2nd gear, some place back to 1st.

5 different people, same diagnosis, same opinion. The thing about these engines is. You have about 5 weak points. eg- PCV, diverter valve diaphragm, cam follower etc. So when the diagnosis returned with "N249 diverter valve mechanical malfunction". I had no choice to replace the DV with a much better REV D type. When I took my original one out, it looked like it came of the shelf yesterday. Spotless, no signs of any leakage. Installed the rev d.

You guessed it. No difference. On the N2 to P.E 100-110kmh full throttle. That is when I decided to reverse the intake system with the original air box and see what happens. Voila, problem solved. All this kak and hair over a piece of aluminium pipe. So here is I have a couple of questions for the experts:

1. Why did it took the car 6 months 10 000km before it decided it doesn't like the intake system?
2. Would this issue be solved if I do software on the car, or get rid of the Motorcade system all together?
3. Why did the error codes come back as "N249 diverter valve mechanical malfunction" redirecting me in an totally different direction?

Anyone to contribute to this topic or who had success in DIY intake systems. I really do enjoy the intake, the car feels much more alive and turbo lag is definitely less.

thanks guys.
Abnormal
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 20 years
Membership No: 848

Re: BWA intakes stories

Post by Abnormal »

dieprofeet wrote: Being a newbie I managed to source a Motorcade intake (yes I know everyone...hear me out). I'm working in the petro chemical industry and pipes and tubing is my field of expertise. I know how much material cost and I know how much welding labor is. In fact, intakes that you guys are paying 5-7k is merely a couple of hundred bucks for material. So I just refused to be suckered.
Only after I fitted the motorcade intake I realized why these things are 7k.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
But I think the same thing, its just a damm pipe should work fine!

Sorry I have no answers.
Possibly goes into Limp mode. Maybe altitude changes influence it, Maybe an additional climb on the Jeffreys bay route?
\Oo) \ _w_ / (oO/
Camo
Lieutenant
Registered for: 12 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: White-G5 GTi

Post by Camo »

OK,..your car went into limp mode.

1)
Why it took so long to return (well?).
Maybe your car performed poorly all along and you never really noticed it coz of the Intake sound.

2)
The section just before the MAF and going to the Turbo should be a certain diameter (I will measure mine and update). The cars ECU in stock mode is set to only ready so much air. Yes software can resolve the matter, however just do what is recommended and get the MAF Scaling sorted.
The idea is always to get the car running better with hardware mods before even loading software.
SW is like acid to a car that is not running well in stock mode with just hardware upgrades.

3)
Thats coz the MAF (not MAS) scaling on the intake is wrong thus sending wrong values to the ECU resulting in NO BOOST.
Even if the old DV was still fine, If you did have the older version DV then you did the right thing by upgrading.

No with that said,..
I also have a Intake that was build by Kontrol Freaks.
I wanted a complete 76MM Intake which would never work.
During fabrication I was told it will not work as I would need software coz of MAF scaling.
But I new better and insisted on 76MM right through.
End result,..well read your POST.
I had to go back to Kontrol Freaks now known as Strada Performance and it was rectified with the correct specs and diameter,..
...................PROBLEM SOLVED,...NEVER HAD BWA INTAKE STORIES AGAIN....................................
CW MKV GTi - Kontrol Freaks CAI - Xcede DP + Exhaust - DogBone Insert - 30mm Lowered - R8 Coils - RevH DV - 20" AMG Wheels - R32 Bumper & Mudflaps
Camo
Lieutenant

Post by Camo »

Send pic of intake....like to see what you have
CW MKV GTi - Kontrol Freaks CAI - Xcede DP + Exhaust - DogBone Insert - 30mm Lowered - R8 Coils - RevH DV - 20" AMG Wheels - R32 Bumper & Mudflaps
Camo
Lieutenant

Post by Camo »