oil problem on polo 9n3 gti

El Toro
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

oil problem on polo 9n3 gti

Post by El Toro »

Hi guys. While checking water and oil in my car (9n3 gti) early this morning I noticed that the oil does smell like petrol a bit. Then I decided to give the air filter a dusting and noticed that the air filter and the air box also smells of petrol. It's not very strong but it's there. Is this something I should be worried about and how serious is this issue? I've read that it could be caused by a failing FPR or dripping injector. What are your thoughts on this. Any help please. Can I still drive the car like this.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: oil problem on polo 9n3 gti

Post by panic-mechanic »

It's so hard to give an opinion on something like that as you are the only guy that can judge how bad the oil is thinned and it it is Ok to drive like that.
Any mods on the car or all stock. Like Maybe running an atmospheric dumpvale instead of recirc?.
But yes if you can smell fuel and it looks liek the oil level is maybe higher I would rather drain and get fresh oil in there and find the cause asap.
can be many thing form stuck injector to failed airflow meter to water temp sender etc.etc.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Don't drive it if the oil smells like petrol. Call your insurance and have it towed to a macky.

You risk engine failure as the diluted oil has most likely lost its lubricating properties

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
El Toro
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by El Toro »

Thanks guys. I have changed oil and oil filter since the oil was quite black and thin as well apart from having the petrol smell. I do a lot of short trips like maybe 20 km per day and on the odd occasion stretch it a bit. Perhaps it's from all the short trips that I do. Will monitor it now and take it from there.