RayThompcti
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years
Car Make: VW
Car Model: CTI

2l 8v gotech help

Post by RayThompcti »

Good day, i need some help.

I have recently converted my kjet to electronic injection.
Found a bargain online for the whole system for R2800 ( 2l 8v head, intake manifold, injectors and goteck mfi v5)

So i did the convertion myself. The hole system is from a 2l ady engine. I installed it on my 1800cti. So what i need help with is that the fact that i drove the car today on the map the previous guy had on the system. The car was running okay on my way to place (bout 70km from my house). On my way back, obout 6 hours later the car started to just cut out. Got it started imediatly again, but it did this obout 3 times in that 70km.

Can it be that the ecu is getting to hot or can it be the coil.(using direct fire with bottle tipe coil)

And the second thing is i want to know if anybody might have a map i can compare mine to. Want to make sure all settings are right. Already have al the cables and software for gotech.

I know i would need to go and have it professional tuned, but spend a lot of money now and would only by able to do it at a later time and this is my only car.

Will realy love any help and advise given.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: 2l 8v gotech help

Post by PapaJo »

Did you check all wiring connections and earths?
Did the guy you bought it from used the same type of coil?
Where did you mount the ECU as you ask if it geting too hot?
Take screen shots of your settings and post it in your thread for guys using the same system or have the knowledge to give you advise and answers.
Did you check the ignition side of things like an overheated coil or bad coul or plug wire connection?
RayThompcti
Enlisted

Post by RayThompcti »

ImageImageImage

Here Is the Screen shot of the main Tuning screen and some logs that I took while driving. Hope this would be sufficient.

The Gotech box is in the engine bay, right about where the TP 100 module sits.
The plug wires are brand new ones and so are the plugs. The coil is also the same one the other guy used.

My coil was still fine so I'm still using it. have a new one and can replace if its the coil. Just want to make sure before I take out the old one if the coil could be the reason for the car just loosing power. All the wiring is newly done and correct. even added a few extra earth cables.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Problem is you are guessing as to why it cut out.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
RayThompcti
Enlisted

Post by RayThompcti »

Well thats why im asking for help. How am I to be sure if i dont even know where to start looking

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

panic-mechanic wrote:Problem is you are guessing as to why it cut out.
:iagree:

Did you check all wiring connections as recommended earlier?

The coil charge time of 2,9 might be a bit high for the round coil. On Dicktator and Spitronics, this is normally set at 2,5ms. Consult the Gotech tuner to verify if your current value of 2,9ms is a suitable value for the type of coil you have and if the coil is correct for that system. Your coil and rpm graph follow eachother and coil and rpm offset graphs need to be with a smaller offset and closer on top of each other.

On your throttle position and injector time graph, it seems that your injectors are limited to a max value and flatlining even when throttle position still increases, with the odd spike up. What size injectors are you using and what was the observed duty cycle on the injectors? There is no scaling values that can tell us what is the values. Looking at the horizontal spacing it seems that injectors are only reaching a max value of +_3,5ms if each horizonral line represents 1ms. Please provide the scaling values for the graphs.
RayThompcti
Enlisted

Post by RayThompcti »

ImageImageImageImage

Here is a few more images of the log. Went and checked all the wiring as well, every thing is the same as the wiring diagram I have.

Thanks for helping Papajo
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Injector time value on graph is in the region of 7ms to 7,5ms reading it from the graph. Engine load and injector values are following eachother. What is strange is that the ignition angle data was zero up until after the x value of 1:55:495 and the starting to follow the same pattern as the other two graphs.

I would start by checking the distributor, distributor cap and sparkplug leads. Are you using copper wire sparkplug leads or graphite sparkplug leads?

The coil duty values is varying a bit from the pattern on the injector times and could be due to coil charge time, possible coil breakdown in the making or spark related to distributor. You can also check the plug and wire firing from Gotech to coil and ensure there is not a bad connection on that point in the plug.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Remove the Gotech ecu from inside the raintray and install it inside the cabin. You will say good bye to the ecu after the first time it rain.
RayThompcti
Enlisted

Post by RayThompcti »

I would start by checking the distributor, distributor cap and sparkplug leads. Are you using copper wire sparkplug leads or graphite sparkplug leads?
Its the Lukas Coper Spark plug leads. Will get new leads if needed

The distributor is new one I got from GW. If I'm correct the gap must start as soon as the no 1 cylinder is on top?

Will install the new Coil today. The ecu is already moved to the inside of the cabin.

Thanks PapaJo
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Gotech suggests from their installation manual that good quality suppressed HT leads are to be used and not solid core HT leads.

Is the distributor the one without mechanical internal advance? Should be the correct one you got supplied. Yes it will start to indicate timing from no 1 trigger.
RayThompcti
Enlisted

Post by RayThompcti »

Thanks PapaJo

Got the car sorted, got some new plug wires and put the new coil i had in.

Everything in the log is following like you explained to me.

Now just for the Dyno.

Does anyone know a good tuner in the Vaal Triangle area that can help me to tune the Gotech and what price would i look at?

Thanks

PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

RayThompcti wrote:Thanks PapaJo

Got the car sorted, got some new plug wires and put the new coil i had in.

Everything in the log is following like you explained to me.

Now just for the Dyno.

Does anyone know a good tuner in the Vaal Triangle area that can help me to tune the Gotech and what price would i look at?

Thanks

Its a pleasure and glad it is sorted now. I don't know who can tune Gotech in the Vaal, but will ask around for you.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Contact RBTS

http://www.rbtsracing.co.za/Dyna%20Tuning.html

ACD Vaal Motorsport (in Meyerton - found on facebook)
016 362 3267
http://www.vaalmotorsport.co.za/