charcoal cannister on polo 9n3 gti

El Toro
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

charcoal cannister on polo 9n3 gti

Post by El Toro »

Hi guys. I just want to find out about the charcoal cannister on 2007 polo 9n3 gti. Has anyone ever changed this part. My car has about 200k on the clock now and just thinking that maybe over time it is blocked or clocked up or has a leak or something and causing the fumes I can smell when idling. Can someone tell me where it is on this car and also what is the part number for the cannister.
Deranged_9n3
Darth Vader
Registered for: 13 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
Membership No: 1639

Re: charcoal cannister on polo 9n3 gti

Post by Deranged_9n3 »

El Toro wrote:Hi guys. I just want to find out about the charcoal cannister on 2007 polo 9n3 gti. Has anyone ever changed this part. My car has about 200k on the clock now and just thinking that maybe over time it is blocked or clocked up or has a leak or something and causing the fumes I can smell when idling. Can someone tell me where it is on this car and also what is the part number for the cannister.
:fear: WUT
My Youtube Channel

Tiguan Track & Field 4Motion

20" Rotors l Airlift Performance l 63mm Downpipe and DPF Delete l PD-Tuning Software

Polo TDi RaceCar

GTB2260VZK l 76mm Stainless DP and FF l FMIC + Stainless Boost Pipes l Nitrous l PD-Tuning Software

GTB2260VZK
13.2 1/4mile @ ODI

Loud 'n Low, Rollin' Coal
El Toro
Cadet

Post by El Toro »

What are you trying to say here dude. Are you being sarcastic here.
Deranged_9n3
Darth Vader
Registered for: 13 years 3 months
Car Model: Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
Membership No: 1639

Post by Deranged_9n3 »

Never in my life have I heard of something like this. So basically, I am waiting for someone more knowledgeable than myself to give some clarity on the subject
My Youtube Channel

Tiguan Track & Field 4Motion

20" Rotors l Airlift Performance l 63mm Downpipe and DPF Delete l PD-Tuning Software

Polo TDi RaceCar

GTB2260VZK l 76mm Stainless DP and FF l FMIC + Stainless Boost Pipes l Nitrous l PD-Tuning Software

GTB2260VZK
13.2 1/4mile @ ODI

Loud 'n Low, Rollin' Coal
chrisg4
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Cupra 1.8T
Membership No: missing

Post by chrisg4 »

I assume he is referring to a catalytic converter?
Soldier510

Seat Cupra 1.8T
Toyota Corolla 1.6
Ex Polo 9n3 1.6i Comfortline
Ex Golf V 2.0 Black Magic
Ex Golf IV 1.6
Ex Jetta II Clx
Ex Toyota Corolla 1.3
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

The charcoal canister is a part of the EVAP system, a fuel smell can be a result of it leaking, not sure how often they need to be replaced, I would say almost never. First check that the car isn't leaking fuel from the fuelling system, if you're sure it isn't then replace the canister.
El Toro
Cadet

Post by El Toro »

I am actually referring to the carbon canister or evap canister which ever you want to call it. I've read up on it and people do say that if the charcoal in the canister gets degraded over time it can and will cause emissions issues by venting all the fumes into the atmosphere and hence the smell of fuel I am getting. Also by venting these fumes into atmosphere, it's not going to the engine where it is used so someone correct me if I'm not mistaken here but this can affect the air fuel ratio as well.
El Toro
Cadet

Post by El Toro »

I have checked and am certain that the car is not leaking fuel or else I would have easily seen it on the garage floor. No fuel leaks no water leaks and no oil leaks.
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

You won't necessarily see it on the floor. Deteriorated rubber can sweat fuel and when it does leak it normally only does so under pressure and then it's as a fine mist (which is its most dangerous form as it vapourises very easily). Find a second hand canister or just replace it.
Keshan_G
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 9 months
Car Model: Polo 9n3 GTi

Post by Keshan_G »

THANAS wrote:You won't necessarily see it on the floor. Deteriorated rubber can sweat fuel and when it does leak it normally only does so under pressure and then it's as a fine mist (which is its most dangerous form as it vapourises very easily). Find a second hand canister or just replace it.
Is it possible to delete this?
Current:
'07 Blue Polo GTi 9n3
Powerflow 76mm DP- 63mm Zorst> 90deg intage/cone> Forge TIP> Forge Splitter DV> Forge Charge Pipe> Cupra FMIC> BC Coilies> R8 Coilpacks> 4Bar FPR > Devils Own Stage2 WMI
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

So the very basics of it is like the picture. it is possible for the evap purge valve side to be blocked or not working then maybe fuel is filling the charcoal canister and you are smelling it. To delete you will have to do some plumbing and then it might be smelly all the time.
The thing is there can only be raw fuel in there if the tank was overfilled and it pushed into the canister.
if you smell it ALL the time I am back where you need to check or replace all hoses.
it is very possible to have a fuel leak and never see fuel on the floor.
You could even have a leaking o-ring around in injector and smell it but never see fuel at all on the floor or dripping.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
El Toro
Cadet

Post by El Toro »

Thank you much appreciated