Not idling

claytonmeyer
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Not idling

Post by claytonmeyer »

I have a Jetta 3 1998 modem CLX 1800. Problem is the car doesn't want to idle. I start it up then idles for not even a second then dies again. Previously it started and I could drive but any random time it just dies don't matter if I'm in 1st , 2nd , 3rd , 4th , 5th gear , driving fast or slow uphill or downhill. What have I done to fix it :
1. Replaced igniter (modulator) , coil , distributor and plug cables
2. Overhauled alternator
3. Checked fuel pump , fuel pressure , fuel line , fuel filter
4. Disconnected return to tank directly onto carburettor
5. Took it auto electrician to do diagnostics - They didn't even touch my car and said the car is breathing too much
6. Took it to mechanical and was advised the issue is electrical not mechanical.

Can I have some suggestions on how to fix the problem before I take my piece of metal to the scrap yard ??
175SBU
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 6 months
Car Model: MK1 1.4i, MK2 CSi

Re: Not idling

Post by 175SBU »

I see the only thing that you mentioned about the carb is disconnecting the return and no mention of service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Not idling

Post by panic-mechanic »

What have you done in terms of actual diagnostic. IE is there spark? Can you see fuel delivery in the carb by looking down the barrel?. have you tried something like quickstart - which will let the car run and then die if you stop spraying it - that would point to a fuel problem.
Did you do a compression test?
Have you checked the timing, both ignition and cam?.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.