mk1 smoking

wesley ZA
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 6 months

mk1 smoking

Post by wesley ZA »

morning guys

So i got my car back together and it runs great now i have a new issue.

my car smokes alot.. smoke is blueish so im assuming its burning oil.. stem seals have been replaced it doesnt smoke on first start up in the mornings it only smokes when u drive or accelerate... nothing on engine brake... only on accelerating...

is there a temporary solution to lessen the smoke? thicker oil maybe? that high millage stuff? im using the 20w50 thats suppose to be in the engine but now it smoke a kak lot... i will replace rings but not right now just got car going this week..

any advice or fixes?

thanx
TDIFlava
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Re: mk1 smoking

Post by TDIFlava »

Do a compression test and see if it is the rings that is shot, and is there a lot of oil coming from the breather hose could be sump pressure, this is a carb right? if the compression test checks out and no oil coming from the breather could be that the stem seals where installed wrong who did this for you when you changed the head gasket? just some points look at
Current:
Audi A3 8p TDI (Decat, twin S4 tail pipes, 17" rims, SQ sound system) (103kw/420nm)
Polo Classic 9n3 1.9 TDI (Decat, SQ sound system)
Golf MK1 aka Gravedigger
Ex:
Citi Golf 1.4 Sport (RIP)
wesley ZA
Enlisted

Post by wesley ZA »

Its fuel injected... and yes there is oil in the breather pipe... brand new head gasket and sump gasket... ontake and exhaust.. stem seals got replaced by ART engineering who skimmed and recon the head... I hope they even did put new stem seals in
wesley ZA
Enlisted

Post by wesley ZA »

Will do compression test today... whats the normal compression figures for a 1.4i mk1?
wesley ZA
Enlisted

Post by wesley ZA »

Will do compression test today... whats the normal compression figures for a 1.4i mk1?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

around 10 bar
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
wesley ZA
Enlisted

Post by wesley ZA »

compression is fine,, had my car on diagnostics machine and its over fueling.. they say the smoke i see could be fuel... advised me not to open the engine yet as the ecu could be with wrong settings... so taking it tomorow to get mapped for a 1.4 and then see what happens
TDIFlava
Cadet

Post by TDIFlava »

So nothing wrong with the motor then, fueling was going to be my next option when you came back with the results of the compression test as over fueling will cause smoke as well keep us updated when mapping was done. Did you change the ecu? if not might be the water temp sensor that is not reading the temp right but that would have been picked up by the diagnostics.
Current:
Audi A3 8p TDI (Decat, twin S4 tail pipes, 17" rims, SQ sound system) (103kw/420nm)
Golf MK1 aka Gravedigger
Ex:
wesley ZA
Enlisted

Post by wesley ZA »

Original ecu got damaged by a guy who claimed to know what he was doing... so now its running on a bridged ecu probably from a 1.8 or 2L... he also said I should consider changing the temp sensor it had some abnormal readings.. so thats the things im going to focus on... ecu and temp switch
wesley ZA
Enlisted

Post by wesley ZA »

One stage temp reading on machine was -90
WeirdSteam
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI

Post by WeirdSteam »

1st change the Temp sensor before fiddling with the map, the cant change alot on the mapping of the MP9 ecu, but there are guys that can reflash it to a different map i had my 1.8 Box flashed with the 2.0 PoloCup 288 Cam Map by Dominic cost R1200 bucks to do takes about 30min, Sure he can help you with a 1.4 map if thats the problem on your ecu.
wesley ZA
Enlisted

Post by wesley ZA »

head is coming off... oil is leaking in to no 4 piston and no 3 has some anitfreeze traces.
gasket failure again and im replacing piston rings since im opening the engine again
wesley ZA
Enlisted

Post by wesley ZA »

just want to be sure about stem seals which way should they be installed? just want to make sure they are in correctly
TDIFlava
Cadet

Post by TDIFlava »

Did you torque the head in the wright sequence a head gasket doesn't fail just like that, vale stem seals should be installed with the metal peace on the bottom and the o ring spring at the top, to be able see that you going to remove the lifters and valve springs. Good luck with the redo of the head gasket make sure the block is clean and level before you install the new gasket. Remember 40nm, 60nm, 90deg + 90deg.
Current:
Golf MK1 aka Gravedigger
Ex:
wesley ZA
Enlisted

Post by wesley ZA »

yeah i followed the sequence.. 1 to 10 and so on... did the correct torque settings... (well according too my torque wrench) i might have missed something, noticed antifreeze leaking between the head and block, gona use a diif torque wrench that makes more sense... one i had showed 30nm then 60nm so i had to guess where the 40nm would be
wesley ZA
Enlisted

Post by wesley ZA »

its either gasket failure or rings... that oil had to come from somewhere
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

30 or 40 as an initial will not make it fail. If you did 60 nm and then twice 90 degrees it should be fine.
Was the head skimmed and the block checked for straight when you had it off?
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
wesley ZA
Enlisted

Post by wesley ZA »

Yes was skimmed block checked... all checked out
wesley ZA
Enlisted

Post by wesley ZA »

I'll make sure this time block is ok... if not... whole engine needs to come out... stage by stage