Carb to fuel injection

Natkat
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 5 months

Carb to fuel injection

Post by Natkat »

Hi guys! I have been lurking this forum for a long time so its about time I got involved!! This is my situation...

I have a mk2 golf csl 1.6 8v carb. I want to do the following over a period of time as funds become available :grin: :

1.Carb to fuel injection
2. Bottom end rebuild
3. Turbo conversion

Currently I am at 1. And have the following parts:

2L 8v fi head with 276 cam and venier which is already put on my 1.6 HM block running on standard carb for the moment.

Mp9 short intake with fuel rail, injectors and throttle body.

I need to know if I need a mp9 loom and ecu to make the fuel injection conversion work? If I for instance source a 1.6i ecu Im quite sure it won't run properly as the cam is not standard plus the bore/stroke is different as to the 1.6i block vs my HM so what timing ect wont add up or am I wrong? I have considered going dicktator but would like to make the proper choice and at this moment I am not sure which will be better. Also guys quote me over 6k to supply.fit.tune which is a bit pricey. I do not have any wiring loom with the rail and intake, injectors ect.

So to round it up:

1.what else do I need to complete this fi conversion.
2. Note that I wont be using the 2l 8v ady/2e block in this build. I will be sticking with my 1.6 HM block with already a fi head.

Many thanks!
UDC
Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 2 months
Membership No: 1041

Re: Carb to fuel injection

Post by UDC »

aftermarket management route will work out cheaper and better option if you going turbo route, find a tuner and ask him what management system he uses and go with that

you also need to figure out how you going to fuel the injection system, bolt on system would be to get the pump setup from a Gti or Cli Mk2, which makes use of 2 pumps, intank lift pump and external high pressure pump (which is hard to find complete with surge tank housing etc). Lift pump setup you can still buy, so you may need to make your own surge tank and high pressure pump setup....or find a mk3 injection tank which has one pump and bolts onto the mk2 easily.
Natkat
Enlisted

Post by Natkat »

Thanks a lot. One thing I should know, the injector plug/leads does that come with the management setup or do i need to get that additionaly as the parts that i have has no wiring.

Many thanks
UDC
Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 2 months
Membership No: 1041

Post by UDC »

the management will come with a wiring loom but you will need the injector plugs etc
zlakay001
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 6 months

Post by zlakay001 »

Natkat wrote:Thanks a lot. One thing I should know, the injector plug/leads does that come with the management setup or do i need to get that additionaly as the parts that i have has no wiring.

Many thanks
Hi. You can make up the injector plugs with small push on lugs but I'm not sure you can do that with the tps plug. With the pump story a lift pump is definitely needed. If you can't get a gti or cli surge tank pump setup a 6bar inline pump and fuel filter would work too it'll just be noisy if not mounted with rubbers and deadning

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

you can buy most of the plugs. Really don't do small lugs. Dictator and perfect power sells plugs.
Go here and you can buy online.
http://gngdevelopments.co.za/store/inde ... _66&page=3
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Natkat
Enlisted

Post by Natkat »

Thanks for the input guys. I decided to go with a mk3 fi tank with intank pump and std dicktator. I bought a used ecu and everything is going to be installed this coming saturday. Last thing i need to know is how do i load a 1.6 8v map on to the ecu? Plus where can I get it? Once its done I will take it for a dyno tune and post results
Natkat
Enlisted

Post by Natkat »

Just some feedback on my build.

I managed to complete the efi conversion however I had somr major hickups but i guess thats part of the game. Fuel pump broke in thr mk3 tank so i took the tank out and put back my old carb tank but with a few modifications. I drilled a 20mm hole at the bottom next to the float and plugged a brass fitting with flat flange nuts with O rings both on the inside and outer and tighted the crap out of it. I then added a nipple on the outside of said fitting where a fuel line connects to, going to velociti 3.5bar external fuel pump then to the rail. From the rail the return line goes to the pump therefore i do not have any priming issues and the tank is now gravity fed. The car is making 83kw and 144nm. I wil upload video to youtube soon and post link. My next question will be regarding turbo on this motor.

I need to know if the 1800 carb motor (i think it is DX) crankshaft will work in my HM block with 1.8t 20v rods and pistons and it so if comp ratio with be suitable for above 1bar boost.

Many thanks for input so far!