Polo classic 1.4i 1996. step by step head removal.

DanHar
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Polo classic 1.4i 1996. step by step head removal.

Post by DanHar »

Hey guys so my polo classic 1.4i, 96 model has an issue with the engine/motor. I need to get the cylinder head off to see what the problem is(hopefully only the head). the tappet and all minor pipes and plugs are already detached from the cylinder head and the injection chamber. Still need to remove the cam belt and undo detach the cylinder head from the engine. I've been told that there's some specific sequence in which to follow when removing the head, and i have no clue what that might be. so if anyone had any advice that would be great. Also need advice with regards to marking the timing of the car. Thanks.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Polo classic 1.4i 1996. step by step head removal.

Post by panic-mechanic »

so before removing the belt turn it to TDC which means cylinder no1 at the top. There is a mark on the crank pulley and cover that will line up. then there must be a mark on the cam pulley at the top that should line up to the top of the tappet cover in front. Also take the distributor cap off and mark exactly where the rotor sits.
now take the belt off. Remove the other losse stuff. cambelt pulley and the covers that attach to the head in front.
exhaust manifold, water pipes etc.
Undo the headbolts form the middle to the outside. Pick head up and place on table. Have a beer.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
caddy club
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 10 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Caddy AGG 2L Carb
Membership No: missing

Post by caddy club »

and before you remove the intake/exhaust manifold first undo the exhaust from exhaust manifold and then take the head of, leave the manifolds onto the head it makes it easier to remove the manifolds with the head off the engine, that's if you want to remove the manifolds from the head
Caddy Club AGG 2L Carb 1998 model
DanHar
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by DanHar »

Awesome, thanks for the help guys that's about all I needed to know. And the beer sounds like a plan :D
Mark Schmuhl
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Mark Schmuhl »

panic-mechanic wrote:so before removing the belt turn it to TDC which means cylinder no1 at the top. There is a mark on the crank pulley and cover that will line up. then there must be a mark on the cam pulley at the top that should line up to the top of the tappet cover in front. Also take the distributor cap off and mark exactly where the rotor sits.
now take the belt off. Remove the other losse stuff. cambelt pulley and the covers that attach to the head in front.
exhaust manifold, water pipes etc.
Undo the headbolts form the middle to the outside. Pick head up and place on table. Have a beer.
Could I follow the same instructions for removing a citi golf head 1.4 carb 2005 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

You could unless you don't drink beer
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Mark Schmuhl
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Mark Schmuhl »

panic-mechanic wrote:You could unless you don't drink beer
ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk