Polo Classic not starting

Jay_K
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Polo Classic not starting

Post by Jay_K »

I'm having a bit of an issue,

Last week my Polo Classic 1.8 wouldnt start with the key anymore. Push start is not a problem.

We tried to bridge the started but there was only a HUM.

WHen the key is turned, the dash lights come one but nothing, but there is no sound. There was no indication that the starter was starting to give issues.

A friend suggested that its not the started, as a starter doesnt just work one minute and not the next, and that it must be the solonoid.

Is there a desisive way to check whether its the solonoid or the starter, or has someone had similar issues and is able to point me in the right direction.
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Re: Polo Classic not starting

Post by Unobeat »

If your battery is in good condition then it Sounds like the starter might be the issue as my car did the same last week and i had to survive by getting pushed in the morning and afternoon to get going.

I eventually removed my starter from the car and went through to my local electrician who refurbished the starter and all is good again.
My solenoid and drive gear were still good, just the brushes and the amature were worn out.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Jay_K
Enlisted

Post by Jay_K »

Unobeat wrote:If your battery is in good condition then it Sounds like the starter might be the issue as my car did the same last week and i had to survive by getting pushed in the morning and afternoon to get going.

I eventually removed my starter from the car and went through to my local electrician who refurbished the starter and all is good again.
My solenoid and drive gear were still good, just the brushes and the amature were worn out.

Is it a pricy affair??
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Jay_K wrote:
Unobeat wrote:If your battery is in good condition then it Sounds like the starter might be the issue as my car did the same last week and i had to survive by getting pushed in the morning and afternoon to get going.

Is it a pricy affair??
Depends were you go.
I paid R450.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
8VALVE-zn
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 5 months
Car Make: VW Golf 1
Car Model: 2.0 h8 valve

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

Could even be as simple as a starter relay. Locate the relay, have it swapped out for a new one and then check. Solenoid that's bad will tend to just give a initial turn but nothing on the next swing....Having the starter refurbed is a good idea, here in Durban I pay less then R200 to get that done
2000 Golf 1 Chico- CRANKCASE [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported & chopped by Fastcar, 288 Estas Billet, 4-2-1 43mm Brospeed Branch, 50mm-57mm-63mm Exhaust] + THE PART (2B1 speacials) -Final power @ Autotrix 111wkw & 210wnm :drool: :evil:

2007 Velociti- WHITEWALKER [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported, valve swirled, 276 Estas, 4-2-1 Branch, 57mm piping from front to back] :oops: :drool:
Jay_K
Enlisted

Post by Jay_K »

I hear a "tick" in the relay when I try start.

Maybe I should check that first
8VALVE-zn
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 5 months
Car Make: VW Golf 1
Car Model: 2.0 h8 valve

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

Lets us know what happens. In the future lets the guys know where you from, so if we cannot help we can point you in the right direction
2000 Golf 1 Chico- CRANKCASE [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported & chopped by Fastcar, 288 Estas Billet, 4-2-1 43mm Brospeed Branch, 50mm-57mm-63mm Exhaust] + THE PART (2B1 speacials) -Final power @ Autotrix 111wkw & 210wnm :drool: :evil:

2007 Velociti- WHITEWALKER [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported, valve swirled, 276 Estas, 4-2-1 Branch, 57mm piping from front to back] :oops: :drool:
Jay_K
Enlisted

Post by Jay_K »

Can some one advise a decent place in roodepoort??

I found one ontdekkers for a recon starter and he reckons between 650 and 1300, as the polos had different 3 different types of starters
Luke92
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 7 months

Re: Polo Classic 1.6 just clanging but not catching when I overhauled the engine no fuel is getting to the plugs.

Post by Luke92 »

Polo classic 1.6 just clanging no fuel I getting the plugs.