Heintz
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: CITI MK 1

2010 MK1 1.6i dead - please help!

Post by Heintz »

Hi guys and girls!

Yesterday I had my Shurlock ECU changed out with a short loom and a MP9 ECU (decoded). On driving the car home, it cut out - instantaneously! There was no lights etc. on the cluster, no indicators, nada, nothing working... On further inspection, it was found that poor routing of the new loom had caused a short on the ignition wire (black with yellow line on it). We then added another wire directly to this one and connected it directly to the battery and viola!, there was life in the car again. I drove the car home like this, but have no idea what could have blown. The car starts from the key but only if it is "hot-wired" as described. It however doesn't turn on or off from the inside (ignition) and the connection from this black/yellow wire to the battery has to be broken before the engine will stop.

I have checked all the fuses and nothing is blown. The remote on the key works when locking and unlocking, but still no power is showing on the cluster. Does this mean that the alarm-immobilizer is stuffed, and if so, how do I by-pass it? Is there any relay that might have blown, and if so, where is it located?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Heintz
Enlisted

Re: 2010 MK1 1.6i dead - please help!

Post by Heintz »

Quick correction... The wire used to "hot-wire" the car is a solid black one and does not have the yellow marker...
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

Take it back to whoever did the work by changing out the Shurlock ECU (I think you mean immobilizer) and short harness. Why was it changed?
Heintz
Enlisted

Post by Heintz »

The ECU (Shurlock) was changed out for a MP9, because the Shurlock was giving problems. I definitely mean the ECU. The car was back at the guy who did the swap for me, but he couldn't trace the problem, as all his work checked out...
-=sT3V3=-
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 1 month
Car Make: ShitiGolf + CRX
Car Model: 92' ADY + 91' B20Vtec

Post by -=sT3V3=- »

sounds like something was overloaded when wiring changed, ie a fuse is blown or a primary power source shorted and burned.

The guy who installed the short harness needs to check his connections to source and adjust accordingly.

I suspect he used the igntion to ecu to power the fuel pump directly without a relay.