8VALVE-zn
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 5 months
Car Make: VW Golf 1
Car Model: 2.0 h8 valve

2.0 8v Gears hard to select

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

Hi Guys,

So recently I bust the rear gearbox mounting on VW golf1.

This caused major issues not only with my linkages but also my branch!!

Anyway, now the car is kitted with the Super rear gearbox mount from Wikus along with the rest been changed to poly. I've got the linkages reset, and while at my friend who helped setup my linkages I did a little test and all gears selected perfectly.

After leaving his place I decided to floor it on the way home! When taking the offramp to my place I stopped at a robot, tried to get the car into first gear and it just would go...I just put it into 2 and took off as the guys behind me were getting a bit edgy!!

Please note that the clutch is a 210mm Sachs copper clutch kit with less than 2000km on it. when I eventually do get gears there isn't any funny grinding of gears or anything of the sort. The initial push into the right gear is a problem!!

Could it be something on the linkage system or on the outside that needs to be looked at? or The rest which will be on the inside ( clutch or pressure plate).

Thanks in advance. :hug:
2000 Golf 1 Chico- CRANKCASE [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported & chopped by Fastcar, 288 Estas Billet, 4-2-1 43mm Brospeed Branch, 50mm-57mm-63mm Exhaust] + THE PART (2B1 speacials) -Final power @ Autotrix 111wkw & 210wnm :drool: :evil:

2007 Velociti- WHITEWALKER [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported, valve swirled, 276 Estas, 4-2-1 Branch, 57mm piping from front to back] :oops: :drool:
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: 2.0 8v Gears hard to select

Post by PapaJo »

Redo you linkages. Might have been that it was not properly fastened on the rod.
:RTuned
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: CitiSport 1.4i, Citi.Com 2.0i
Membership No: missing

Post by :RTuned »

I've had a similar issue, the linkage mechanism rests and is settled upon the steering rack, inspect the steering rack bushes and replace if necessary. My driver side STR bush was tearing up on the edges and allowed for undesired horizontal movement of the rack which made it quite a struggle to get into gears at times as the fixed alignment of linkages were no longer stable (especially under excessive vibration while hammering the vehicle or turning left/right). Alternatively, check for worn linkage grommets/rubbers/spacers and if they're all equipped (none missing/might have come out of place).
2008 CitiSport 1.4i 8v - MPI+UniQ, Estas 272/Adj.Vernier, 77.0kw/133nm. (Dynotech)
Rides thread here: http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=189528

2003 Citi.Com 2.0i 8v (AGG) - MP9+UniQ, Gasflowed Head, Intake Port/Matched, 110kw/190nm. (Dynotech)
Rides thread here: http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=189529
8VALVE-zn
Cadet

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

Howsit man, thanks for your reply.

Its definitely not the linkages, the car is able to select all gears without using the clutch when switched off.

A friend and I checked it out last night, and when we switched the car off it immediately took gears but when on it will just not go into gear.

The issue is either with the push rod or the actual pressure plate! This is such a bummer!! It seemed like the problem is only getting worst!

Will have to drop the gearbox and check all components proper!

I was on the dyno when this started happening :roll:
2000 Golf 1 Chico- CRANKCASE [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported & chopped by Fastcar, 288 Estas Billet, 4-2-1 43mm Brospeed Branch, 50mm-57mm-63mm Exhaust] + THE PART (2B1 speacials) -Final power @ Autotrix 111wkw & 210wnm :drool: :evil:

2007 Velociti- WHITEWALKER [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported, valve swirled, 276 Estas, 4-2-1 Branch, 57mm piping from front to back] :oops: :drool:
UDC
Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Membership No: 1041

Post by UDC »

did you try adjusting the clutch cable, is the rubber spacer present on the gearbox end
JohnnyVw
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Post by JohnnyVw »

Maybe set your clutch cable higher, turn the black/white plastic circle thing down to loosen the nut on the cable by turning it down then, screw the black /white plastic thing up till the clutch is set higher then turn the nut on the cable up so everything is tight.

This will increase the push on the rod onto the pressure plate, then just adjust it down so that you not riding the clutch, and high enough that it engages.
8VALVE-zn
Cadet

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

We tried moving it into various positions and still nothing!! The box will get stripped today and the inspection will continue, at this point the pressure plate seems to be the culprit! In the test we used the reverse gear, after adjusting the clutch several times we put the car into reverse and every single time it grinded before going into gear!!

I will be sticking in a new clutch and pressure plate shortly!! I have a to combo which I use and will continue to use!! 210mm Sachs Power Clutch & LUK Pressure plate- works the charm!!

JohnnyVw
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Post by JohnnyVw »

Set the cable and pedal to its highest position and see if it still grinds.
8VALVE-zn
Cadet

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

What are the signs of a failed push rod?? That the only thing other than the pressure plate that I believe that would have gotten buggered

Thanks guys

8VALVE-zn
Cadet

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

Yo guys,

So the problem has been sorted out...the pressure plate had failed due to a very bad clutch assembly, the push rod had never hit the centre of plate that goes over the rear mail seal...it was visible as the plate showed dents on either side of the centre point! Anyway the entire cluth was over and all is well!