MP9 ecu

nicky1
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

MP9 ecu

Post by nicky1 »

Hi all

first time posting something. both my sons are the proud owners of MK 1 golf rabbit two doors. first one had a 2l conversion in his with the mp9 system running good. 3 months down the line he turbo charged the engine and still halling ass. obviously he removed the mp9 system that was already set up for the 2l engine and wired a mini x system to make the turbo work.
question is . my youngest son is busy with his 2l ABY engine in the golf and I would like to find out more about the mp9 system...he does has an old mk1 wiring harness (without mp9) , how would I wire the mp9 just to work on the engine. I believe there is a short wiring harness available just for mp9 for engine management. where if any can I get hold of this as we are going to run only NA on this one.
do I have to change to the mp9 complete harness or is it better to go with after market ecu. reason why I want to use the old mp9 is it was going well and very fuel effeciant.

Nick from Krugersdorp.
Torker
General
Registered for: 18 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf GT
Membership No: 1464

Re: MP9 ecu

Post by Torker »

Hi and welcome to the Forum. I've got the wiring schematic for the MP9 so if you are handy with wiring you can make up your own harness, works better if you can find the MP9 ECU plug as well. The easiest aftermarket system to use will be Dicktator Std, very easy to connect and to set up, can not do idling as well as the MP9 but otherwise a fine management that get the job done. PM me your E-mail address, I've got a lot of MP9 diagrams and notes that I can send you.

Current rides:

VW Golf - 83 GT 2.1 16V 2-door with throttles
VW Golf - 78 LS 2.0 8V 4-door (2.1 ABF with throttles in progress)
VW Golf - '08 Citi Storm - 1.4 for now
Hyundai - 1.4 Getz (daily)
nicky1
Enlisted

Post by nicky1 »

Thank you
I did reply via PM , here is my email if u can provide more info , much appreciated.
nick.barnard@mtn.co.za
how does one add photos
nicky1
Enlisted

Post by nicky1 »

hi all, from a frustrated Nicky1.
busy with my 1982 Golf LS rabbit 2 door. already fitted the new ADY engine and DGG gearbox. Busy with wiring. Got the body as an empty shell. well when I say empty, I mean empty , no harness , carpets , just a rust bucket . well painted , done, engine done and now for the difficult part. I got my hands on a original harness with the ceramic fuse holder, what I thought to be decent, but half the wires are not in that Harness.
question , if I get a MP9 harness, will this harness connect normally to my old dash, obviously no rev counter in dash, but is the plugs the same, or do I need to get a mp9 dash as well. please help. I do have a already set up mp9 unit for the 2l engine but the wiring seems to be a night mare . wanted to keep the old school dash but obviously the newer one with the rev counter will work better. will the later consol fit into the old dash please advice .
I will post some pics if I can find out how to insert pics .
UDC
Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Membership No: 1041

Post by UDC »

The so called mp9 short harness is just a shortened version of the full wiring harness from the newer spec golf1, so yes it would be perfect for your application as all it does is connects from the mp9 ecu to all the injection components to make this fuel injection system work, basically everything is plug and play to all the sensors i.e injectors, map sensor, knock sensor, 4pin water temp sensor, 3pin coil, Throttle body. You just need to connect power and wire up fuel pump relay and connect a signal wire to current rev counter if you get one fitted, the rest of the cars electronics will be controlled by the existing harness for lights, indicators etc etc etc.
nicky1
Enlisted

Post by nicky1 »

Thanks you for the info, appreciate.
Just one more thing, the ADY engine does not come with the airflow meter. what will I do in this case. Obviously this sensor is important when mixing air and fuel ratio . do I need to make a contraption to fit between the intake and the air filter for this with a airflow meter in ...
Torker
General

Post by Torker »

Neither MP9 nor Dicktator uses an airflow meter. MP9 uses an combination of rpm, TPS and MAP to determine the fuelling, Dicktator uses rpm, TPS or MAP to do the same.

TPS - Throttle Position Sensor
MAP - Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor
Current rides:

nicky1
Enlisted

Post by nicky1 »

Hi

thanks for that, that is why the world consist of experts with experience to know these these things, ...
I appreciate a forum where finally information with regards to a specific subject is delt with and responce time is quick
Thanks again.
can u please advice me on something else. I have the standart cam and my son would like to fit the 288 cam. some on the forum adviced that 276 is better for everyday use . your opinion...
also , do I have to use a vernier pulley when using the 288 cam or can I leave the pulleys as is.
Torker
General

Post by Torker »

I had 276, 288 and 298 cams in my 2.0 8V Velo (if I could find a bigger hydraulic cam I would have tried that as well). I enjoyed all of them but the bigger cams really made the car come alive. 276 is a fine cam if you want to keep the motor 'stockish', 288 is better if you want a bit more performance. MP9 will be able to do both with some help, either get a custom map or a piggy back chip like the Q-chip, my Velo worked fine with the wilder cams with MP9 and Q-chip, I eventually changed to Dicktator to bypass the built-in restrictions on my standard MP9 ECU.

At the end of the day it all depends on what the driver can live with, I know guys that found the 276 too rough for a daily whereas I consider it a 'stock' cam.

Edit to add: Vernier pulley is only required if you've skimmed the head or decked the block, I use it because it looks great...
Current rides:

nicky1
Enlisted

Post by nicky1 »

Thanks for your input.
Only reason why I am going the mp9 route is because I have the 2l mp9 map already on the mp9 unit. secondly , this was only an empty shell when i bought it and specially over December when u start to fix a car, budget is getting lower and lower, and so many unforsene exp . My son just past his std 10 and needs the car to get to work asap and therefore looking for the cheapest best route for now. Dictator will follow soon.
Does 288 cam make a huge difference in fuel consumption .
Torker
General

Post by Torker »

My consumption stayed pretty much the same with all 3 cams, around 10l/100km. You don't know what the MP9 that you've got is mapped for? If it is mapped for a 276 cam it will be belter to stick with a 276 for now, 288 will throw the fuelling out.
Current rides:

nicky1
Enlisted

Post by nicky1 »

make sense : does anybody know in and around Krugersdorp or West rand, who does the mapping of the MP9 's.
Torker
General

Post by Torker »

nicky1 wrote:make sense : does anybody know in and around Krugersdorp or West rand, who does the mapping of the MP9 's.
This is where the problem comes in with MP9 - you can get a generic 'Bin Laden' map for 2.0 motors, if you are lucky it works fine and will give you no problems. I tried one in my Velo for 3 days before removing it and fitting the Q-chip, it was so bad I'm lucky nothing broke. You can get one of these remapped ECU's for around R1000 on exchange. The other option is a full custom map, eg. FRC (Pluto on the Forum), that will cater for all your mods and optimise power and fuel consumption. Last time I looked this option cost over R3000 (I stand under correction) so more expensive than a stand alone basic management.

My advice would be, fit the motor and see how it works with what you've got, maybe you are lucky and your MP9 will work with your setup. If not, you can decide to go for a remap or aftermarket management.
Current rides:

nicky1
Enlisted

Post by nicky1 »

Thanks, will do it as u suggested.
Damz_g
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Damz_g »

Hi guys sorry to bring up an old forum but I just purchased my first car which to be a 1.4i mk1, I'm having trouble with the spitronics which is in the car and want to move over to mp9, 'Tork' much would be appreciated if you could guide through the pin out and wiring harness to wire up the mp9 system as a stand alone unit, while I'm at it. The previous owner had fitted in the polo 6r dash in the car but never connected up the cluster to really work. Is there a way which I can make it work or maybe get the help of an auto electrician.
Thanks
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

Damz_g wrote:Hi guys sorry to bring up an old forum but I just purchased my first car which to be a 1.4i mk1, I'm having trouble with the spitronics which is in the car and want to move over to mp9, 'Tork' much would be appreciated if you could guide through the pin out and wiring harness to wire up the mp9 system as a stand alone unit, while I'm at it. The previous owner had fitted in the polo 6r dash in the car but never connected up the cluster to really work. Is there a way which I can make it work or maybe get the help of an auto electrician.
Thanks
Where are you based and what is wrong with the Spitronics setup you have? Was it properly mapped?

Good luck in matching the Polo wiring to the mk1 wiring. Look for a Polo donorcar and get the harnass and start from thee.
Damz_g
Enlisted

Post by Damz_g »

I think the map is off in it as it switches off when coming to robots, the car has the polo harness already just need someone to wire it up for me. I was told changing to mp9 would be for when I want to do mods and change the cam
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Damz_g wrote:I think the map is off in it as it switches off when coming to robots, the car has the polo harness already just need someone to wire it up for me. I was told changing to mp9 would be for when I want to do mods and change the cam
Definitely off then and not tuned in well. Why don't you just get it tuned in? Aftermarket ECU's cope better with mods and changing cam as MP9 maps are limited and does not cater for all the different mods.

Where are you based and then we can direct you to someone to assist in tuning and helping with the wiring?
Damz_g
Enlisted

Post by Damz_g »

I'm in the Durban area. I was also told that if the battery is unplugged the map could go off, is that even possible?
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Damz_g wrote:I'm in the Durban area. I was also told that if the battery is unplugged the map could go off, is that even possible?
No map will stay as it is saved on the ECU.
Damz_g
Enlisted

Post by Damz_g »

PapaJo wrote:
Damz_g wrote:I'm in the Durban area. I was also told that if the battery is unplugged the map could go off, is that even possible?
No map will stay as it is saved on the ECU.
I was also told that there's a passcode on the management which would have been put by the first time mapper, is there anyway to bypass this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

In that case the tuner who put the map on prevents anyone else to see or work on his map. Either you go back to him and tell him he need to fix it or you find someone else with a map or place that can load a new map and tune it again. I will be possible to reset and overwrite with a new map.

I take it you haven't got the cable and software and a map to check or reload for you. Try to find someone that has a cable ans software to check if map is accessible. They could have told you lies to keep you away from it.
Damz_g
Enlisted

Post by Damz_g »

The problem is I have no contact whatsoever with the previous owner as I bought it from a buddy that buys and sells cars, if it's possible to put a new map then it'll be better to just put in a complete map. Thanks a lot for the info papa jo

PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Eish, internet not very good on my side and post got lost now. Re-type below.....

Just before you go and find another map and someone to load it up. If you were in the Vaal, I could have helped you, but Durban is a bit far away and I don't know anyone in that region who can assist you.

Did this occur since you got the car and not idling and dying when stopping? Is car driving fine other than just die when stopping? No spluttering and holding back when driving and is fuel consumption acceptable?

Post some pictures of the setup. What you also need to confirm is if there is an idle stop screw on the throttle body to prevent it from closing completely. Idle stopper screw can be adjusted to open the throttle slightly to prevent it from smothering the motor. Check this first.
Damz_g
Enlisted

Post by Damz_g »

PapaJo wrote:Eish, internet not very good on my side and post got lost now. Re-type below.....

Just before you go and find another map and someone to load it up. If you were in the Vaal, I could have helped you, but Durban is a bit far away and I don't know anyone in that region who can assist you.

Did this occur since you got the car and not idling and dying when stopping? Is car driving fine other than just die when stopping? No spluttering and holding back when driving and is fuel consumption acceptable?

Post some pictures of the setup. What you also need to confirm is if there is an idle stop screw on the throttle body to prevent it from closing completely. Idle stopper screw can be adjusted to open the throttle slightly to prevent it from smothering the motor. Check this first.
Okay will definitely check up on everything in the morning and give you a detailed breakdown of it