Vw 2E/ADY/AGG/ABA decisions decisions, which 1 do I buy?

The Gti Guy
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk2 Gti crossflow 8v

Vw 2E/ADY/AGG/ABA decisions decisions, which 1 do I buy?

Post by The Gti Guy »

Good Afternoon Everyone

I want to do a Vw 2.0 8v conversion on my mk2 gti 1.8 8valve. The car will remain my daily drive,I drive on average about 30 kms a day. I wana do the following to the car:
Vw 2E/Ady/Agg/Aba
Management (dicktator)
Cylinder head port & flow
282 estas
57mm into 63mm powerflow exhaust
Branch

I already have a branch on the car, its currently 1.8 8valve k-jetronic. I bought management already I just need all the other goodies. I checked up and the Aba is a crossflow motor, will this be a better buy for these mods, will it perform better? Is the 8 valve parts of Vw Aba different because its crossflow? Like starter, alternator etc. I am looking at doing this December or March/April next year for the latest. I am aiming for 110kw (flywheel power) mark.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Oh and keep it clean guys.

Regards
:driving:
M3THANOL
Blue Bomber
Registered for: 11 years 9 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf Mk2...now....2.0L 8V AGG
Membership No: 1822

Re: Vw 2E/ADY/AGG/ABA decisions decisions, which 1 do I buy?

Post by M3THANOL »

Hey buddy, welcome to the club :hug:

As you have already found out, the ABA is a cross-flow motor, where as the other 3 are u-flow engines. For the mods that you have listed a u-flow motor( head actually) will be absolutely fine!!! Where the cross-flow head would be preferred is if you are planning on running ITB's/ Side draft's or going turbo. This is not saying that all of those can't be done on a u-flow head but it gives you much more space and then you decrease the effects of things like heat soak and such if you want to turbo because then the intake isn't sitting right above the turbo. It all comes down to what you want to eventually do with the car, if the mods you stated are all you want to do for now, go for a 2E/ADY or AGG. Heck, you can even get an ABA head and put it on the 2E/ADY/AGG (with only slight modifications) if you decide to build a MONSTER :driving:

The main differences between the 2E/ADY and AGG is that both the ADY and AGG have the "short" intake manifold and they have a 60-2 crank sensor setup where as the 2E has the "long" intake manifold and still uses the old dizzy setup that you would have on your current engine. The advantage of the ADY and AGG is that they were produced later so they are newer engines and with the 60-2 setup you can run either with a coil and dizzy setup getting it's trigger from the 60-2 trigger wheel that is on the end of the crank or you can use a coil pack ( no longer needing a dizzy) also being triggered by the 60-2 wheel
I'm literally can't evening!
http://www.iamsecond.com/

Current: The Blue Bomber
http://www.vwclub.co.za/phpbb3/viewtopi ... 1&t=151592

1/4 mile: 16.5s @ 133km/h (ODI-2013/10/27)
1km: 165km/h (ODI-2013/10/27)
The Gti Guy
Cadet

Post by The Gti Guy »

Hey Methanol

Thanx for the reply then its nou use buying myself the ABA, the listed mods will be the end of it. If I want a monster 1 day I'll buy 1 or build 1 up using a cheap mark 1, want to give this car a nice standard look as its got nice potential if I make it two fast no1 will appreciate the beauty of it lol. Uhm some 2E has Mahle pistons hey which the Ady/Agg don't have but I'll get any1 2E/Ady/Agg. I just hope she will run very nicely with these mods as many people give me this phrase "Go ABF 1 time" I prefer 8 valves more simpler even I can play mechanic @ times these motors are that simple. Oh 1 more thing can I use 5w40 oil on my existing or new engine? Or what oil shoud I us?

Thanx for the advice

Happy Dubbing

Torker
General
Registered for: 18 years
Car Model: Golf GT
Membership No: 1464

Post by Torker »

8V motor will perform well at the coast, should get the same performance as an ABF up at the Reef. If you should rebuilt the motor use a cheaper (mineral) oil to run in, then switch to the more expensive stuff. I use Castrol Edge 5W40 in all my engines and it serves me well.
Current rides:

VW Golf - 83 GT 2.1 16V 2-door with throttles
VW Golf - 78 LS 2.0 8V 4-door (2.1 ABF with throttles in progress)
VW Golf - '08 Citi Storm - 1.4 for now
Hyundai - 1.4 Getz (daily)
The Gti Guy
Cadet

Post by The Gti Guy »

Thanx Torker

Maybe I should use 15w40 then and after the first service interval change to 5w40.

Thanx again everyone.

Take care
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

The Gti Guy wrote:Hey Methanol

Thanx for the reply then its nou use buying myself the ABA, the listed mods will be the end of it. If I want a monster 1 day I'll buy 1 or build 1 up using a cheap mark 1, want to give this car a nice standard look as its got nice potential if I make it two fast no1 will appreciate the beauty of it lol. Uhm some 2E has Mahle pistons hey which the Ady/Agg don't have but I'll get any1 2E/Ady/Agg. I just hope she will run very nicely with these mods as many people give me this phrase "Go ABF 1 time" I prefer 8 valves more simpler even I can play mechanic @ times these motors are that simple. Oh 1 more thing can I use 5w40 oil on my existing or new engine? Or what oil shoud I us?

Thanx for the advice

Happy Dubbing

My ADY came with Mahle pistons. What you won't get with an ADY is a forged crank, I think the 2E came with a forged crank. But really, I don't think you will ever take the engine to the stage where forged components become necessary.

ADY/AGG definitely if youre going to go Aftermarket management (which you said you are).

Also as it is a newer engine, the likelihood is that the mileage on them may be less. My import engine was supposedly at around 60 000km, but the internals all looked even newer than that. They generally come off of automatics (from what I'm told and what I've seen), which doesn't exactly encourage hooliganism.

Good luck! :hurray:
M3THANOL
Blue Bomber

Post by M3THANOL »

CitiCitiBangBang wrote:
The Gti Guy wrote:Hey Methanol

Thanx for the advice

Happy Dubbing

My ADY came with Mahle pistons. What you won't get with an ADY is a forged crank, I think the 2E came with a forged crank. But really, I don't think you will ever take the engine to the stage where forged components become necessary.

ADY/AGG definitely if youre going to go Aftermarket management (which you said you are).

Also as it is a newer engine, the likelihood is that the mileage on them may be less. My import engine was supposedly at around 60 000km, but the internals all looked even newer than that. They generally come off of automatics (from what I'm told and what I've seen), which doesn't exactly encourage hooliganism.

Good luck! :hurray:
That as well. As he also said, it isn't a "cast in stone" rule that the ADY's and AGG's don't come with Mahle pistons, because from what I have read and heard, a lot of guys have found that they in fact did have Mahle pistons in their motors. Now don't quote this as the truth but I have even heard some claims of guys finding forged crank's in their ADY's and AGG's.

The Gti Guy
Cadet

Post by The Gti Guy »

Thanx Citi yeah u right I won't need forged internals as I have no plans on boosting it. Ja Ady/Agg + Management and I'm good to go yes. And yes I'll get 1 with less than 100k mileage which is good. Thanks for the info tho Citi I appreciate it.

Kind Regards
The Gti Guy
Cadet

Post by The Gti Guy »

Thanx Methanol

Btw which 8 valve motor do u have Methanol? Oh 1 more thing will I need a valve spring retainer kit?

Please advise
THANAS
Forum Advertiser

Post by THANAS »

The Gti Guy wrote:Thanx Citi yeah u right I won't need forged internals as I have no plans on boosting it. Ja Ady/Agg + Management and I'm good to go yes. And yes I'll get 1 with less than 100k mileage which is good. Thanks for the info tho Citi I appreciate it.

Kind Regards
No problem! :wink:

I see you're also in CPT, I can vouch for Mikes Place in Epping. I got my motor there and aside from the dust and grime that had settled on it and the effects of some rough handling (broken plastic covers, stripped wiring etc), the motor was in very good condition.

http://www.mikesplace.co.za/
Tel: 021 534 0070

Start a build thread, let us know how it goes. There are many others who have done this conversion (I'm in the process) who can help with the details.
The Gti Guy
Cadet

Post by The Gti Guy »

Will do Citi. How do I start a thread here?
Solo786
Brigadier
Registered for: 17 years 1 month
Car Make: Porsche,BMW,VW
Membership No: 1251

Post by Solo786 »

Just use the kjet head and strap it to a 2.0 bottom..

I love kjet!
The Gti Guy
Cadet

Post by The Gti Guy »

K-Jet= Not for me!!!

Its just personal preference but management on a Ady is what I'm looking for. K-jet parts are scarce also had to look for months for a fuel distributor. Besides management will iron out any idling issues I will have with a modified camshaft. Its a case of out with the old and in with the new lol

My feet is itching for this conversion already

:drool: :driving: :troll:
Abnormal
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 19 years 11 months
Membership No: 848

Post by Abnormal »

k-jet can handle a cam pretty well, possibly better than efi even.
\Oo) \ _w_ / (oO/
The Gti Guy
Cadet

Post by The Gti Guy »

Then why is every1 tell me to get rid of the K-jet :bang:

I am all in favour of management tho I want to run a 282 cam quite big hey, but if you are going to lodge a compelling case I'm all ears.

K-jet with dicktator maybe I should try how this will work as I already have the dicktator, what you guys reckon?
THANAS
Forum Advertiser

Post by THANAS »

The Gti Guy wrote:Will do Citi. How do I start a thread here?
Post your ride here: http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

You can give a history of your pride and joy and then just upload as you go along, there's a 'New Topic' button top left!
Goodluck! :grin:
THANAS
Forum Advertiser

Post by THANAS »

The Gti Guy wrote:Then why is every1 tell me to get rid of the K-jet :bang:

I am all in favour of management tho I want to run a 282 cam quite big hey, but if you are going to lodge a compelling case I'm all ears.

K-jet with dicktator maybe I should try how this will work as I already have the dicktator, what you guys reckon?
EFI EFI EFI EFI EFI EFI! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Abnormal
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 19 years 11 months
Membership No: 848

Post by Abnormal »

Its either K-Jet or Dictator not both unless you want to use the Dictator for timing only.
\Oo) \ _w_ / (oO/
Torker
General

Post by Torker »

The Gti Guy wrote:Then why is every1 tell me to get rid of the K-jet :bang:

I'm running a K-Jet solid lifter head with electronic injection (Dicktator) in my GT, using a custom intake manifold and fuel rail.
Current rides:

The Gti Guy
Cadet

Post by The Gti Guy »

Thanx every1.

@ Citi I'll start that thread now pal :)

And I'm going Efi(dicktator) else I wasted my money and it has more benefits than K-Jet.

Now for my thread :crazy:
M3THANOL
Blue Bomber

Post by M3THANOL »

The Gti Guy wrote:Thanx Methanol

Btw which 8 valve motor do u have Methanol? Oh 1 more thing will I need a valve spring retainer kit?

Please advise
I am running an AGG in my car, the other difference between the 2E/ADY/AGG is that the AGG makes maximum torque earlier than the 2E and ADY, I am not sure why?!?!? Check it out here http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=103903

No you shouldn't need to replace anything inside the motor, just do a service on it ( plugs, oil, flush the coolant system, cam belt and tensioner), you might have to replace some of the coolant pipes and just have a look at the water pump, mine started getting noisy after about 3 months, so maybe just replace it with a new one because it is a pain having to do the water pump while it is in the car, not difficult just :bang: because you are dealing with water pipes and draining of coolant which is never "fun" especially when you then spend the next few days tightening and re-tightening hose clamps because of those leaks that just seem to defy logic.

So of them motors come with some fancy plugs, mine came with Denso iridium plugs, in fact, I am still running them :eek: . I tried some normal Bosch plugs and it didn't like them at all hahaha

The Gti Guy
Cadet

Post by The Gti Guy »

Thanx Methanol :thumbup:

Those plugs u run with the motor, does any spare shop sell them? How much? I suppose they are spec'd to the motor? Does it pull much better than the OEM bosch plugs? Many people underestimate the difference a spark plug can make in performance, I don't :troll:

Can you indicate the powerband a 282 will kick in from? Is it from 3500- 7500, I wana know so that I can make sure I will rev till there.

I was going to start a thread but I'll start it once I'm bought the motor.

I really appreciate all the informative replies from you guys, can't receive any better advice than from people who has been there and done that.

Have a lekker day guys.
Torker
General

Post by Torker »

The Gti Guy wrote:Thanx Methanol :thumbup:

Those plugs u run with the motor, does any spare shop sell them? How much? I suppose they are spec'd to the motor? Does it pull much better than the OEM bosch plugs? Many people underestimate the difference a spark plug can make in performance, I don't :troll:

Can you indicate the powerband a 282 will kick in from? Is it from 3500- 7500, I wana know so that I can make sure I will rev till there.

I was going to start a thread but I'll start it once I'm bought the motor.

I really appreciate all the informative replies from you guys, can't receive any better advice than from people who has been there and done that.

Have a lekker day guys.
282 will probably make peak power in the region of 6000 rpm with single throttle in a 2.0. With 276 and 288 in my 2.0 my rev limit was set to 6450rpm, I only raised it to 7000rpm when I fitted the 298.
Current rides:

The Gti Guy
Cadet

Post by The Gti Guy »

Hey Guys

Just a question, I see a lot of 2e sub assemblies being fitted with Abf/16 valve heads and they becoming common on gumtree for like 5-6k I know for turbocharge they will be great but how will they perform in n/a form? Also isit worth the risk buying over a motor from some1 else as opposed to a shop?

Regards
M3THANOL
Blue Bomber

Post by M3THANOL »

the compression ratio is near perfect when putting the 16V head on the 8V long block, at around 8.5:1, for boosting but low if you plan on staying N/A. You would need to get different pistons to bring the compression ratio up and in the end of the day your have gone about it the LOOOOOOONG way. Just get an ABF which is a 2.0L 16V if you plan on staying N/A or a 2E/ADY/AGG if you plan on staying N/A 8V