Registered for: 9 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 1.9 TDi Highline 96KW
Membership No: 2083

TDI electrical issue

Post by stig »

HI Guys

2009 Polo 1.9tdi highline
I recieved my car back from a panelbeater recently as i was in a small prang, left rear door , quaterpanel, rear bumper , left rear light damaged. The morning of the day i am supposed to go fetch the car they call me and tell me that the rear doors central locking do not work. They will send to autoelectrician to investigate.

After waiting 30mins after the initial time i was supposed to receive the car i get it and everything looks good. The same evening i notice the new tail light park lights dont work, check the bulb and its fine. Checked fuse for left side tail lights and its popped. replaced with a new 5A fuse and problem is fixed.

The next day i drive through town and notice a plastic burning smell when in the car, eventually when i got home i investigated and found the fuse i replaced to be melted and a gaping hole in the fuse holder. i decided to remove the new tail light, and put a new fuse in but it immediatly starts to heat up when I switch the lights on. Can it be because of the damage caused by the first fuse melting or am I right in thinking somewhere there is a bad electrical short/issue?
The panelshop only opens in the new year, anything i can do to troubleshoot or should i just leave it and wait for them to fix?

Pic of the fuseholder
The Ride:

'09 Polo 1.9 TDi 96KW HighLine
Mods: Straight-flow FMIC ,Stainless boost piping, RKmotion tuned, 17" Audi A5 Reps, Cobra coilovers, SMF cutch kit
H&M Dyno Night: 114KW 429NM
Dubrun 2016 Autotrix Durban: 131KW 458NM Wulfchip Stage 2
Blackout 2017 Precision Race Dyno: 120kw and 450NM RK-motion Stage 2

Supervan II
Cadet
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: SEAT
Membership No: missing

Re: TDI electrical issue

Post by Supervan II »

1. No, just put in a new fuse;
2. Park vehicle in the street/driveway, well clear of the house;
3. Go have a beer whilst watching your favourite TV program;
4. Ignore the smoke, and eventually the flames that eminate from said vehicle;
5. Phone the fire-brigade when you notice that the vehicle has almost burnt out;
6. After the fire has been put out, submit claim to insurance company.
(said with tongue firmly stuck in cheek)

I.would.not.touch.that.vehicle.until.that issue.has.been.sorted.

If the repairs were done via insurance, contact them immediately! If not, find the owner of said panel-beater ASAP!
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

This is a start of another Sniper thread!!

Take car back and make sure you have on record they had an auto-electrician working on the car. Meanwhile are all the fuses correct as per what should be there?

Wrth SuperVan's point 6. , as per Sniper, you will be left with a burnt out car, car payment and no claim settled.

+1 contacting insurance wrt repair issues you have. Put all you stated about panelshop on record with them, asap
stig
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 1.9 TDi Highline 96KW
Membership No: 2083

Post by stig »

Howie-WP wrote:This is a start of another Sniper thread!!

Take car back and make sure you have on record they had an auto-electrician working on the car. Meanwhile are all the fuses correct as per what should be there?

Wrth SuperVan's point 6. , as per Sniper, you will be left with a burnt out car, car payment and no claim settled.

+1 contacting insurance wrt repair issues you have. Put all you stated about panelshop on record with them, asap
The Sniper thread immediately came to mind. I notified my broker shortly after i found the problem. Also had them send an email to the panelshop but they closed till the new year. I have a SMS from the panelshop stating they took it to auto electrician.

Just sucks i have been without my car for a month, now itll be more like two months. Hopefully the panelshop owns up and fix the problem.
The Ride:

'09 Polo 1.9 TDi 96KW HighLine
Mods: Straight-flow FMIC ,Stainless boost piping, RKmotion tuned, 17" Audi A5 Reps, Cobra coilovers, SMF cutch kit
H&M Dyno Night: 114KW 429NM
Dubrun 2016 Autotrix Durban: 131KW 458NM Wulfchip Stage 2
Blackout 2017 Precision Race Dyno: 120kw and 450NM RK-motion Stage 2

Jueshen
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by Jueshen »

disconnect battery and do not use!!
Ex:
2007 Polo GTI
Eurodyne! 230WHP & 390NM @ KAR 2016 - without OB