1.9 tdi polo knocks

Benjibot
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 6 months

1.9 tdi polo knocks

Post by Benjibot »

Hi all i own a 1.9 2004 polo tdi 211000km
If have a problem the fan belt snap and somehow ended up between the camshaft pulley and timing belt . The entire engine was solid and would not turn at all

After removing the timing belt i also removed the cam , the wasnt really damaged . I then replaced all 8 cam followers as 3 were badly worn replace the camshaft and timing belt and tensioner

After a full oil change 5w 30 from shell it started the engine it ran beautiful no misfire and no noise

After apprix 10 mins at idle the engine starts to misfire and noise are evident almost a metal grinding noise if the rpm are increased to 2000-2500 rpm this noise disappear

One can then switch the engine off and restart and for 5-10 there are no misfire or noises and this is the case each time surely this are not common with possible bent inlet or outlet valves

I haven’t driven the car as I’m afraid of creating even more damaged

My question is could it be the cam, cam bearings oil pump or PD pump
I will appreciate any suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Re: 1.9 tdi polo knocks

Post by panic-mechanic »

It is unlikely but not impossible that a valve will do that but of course I hate discussing noises without hearing it.
You probably won't like to hear it but younshould have taken the head off and had a real good look at everything.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Benjibot
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 6 months

Re: 1.9 tdi polo knocks

Post by Benjibot »

panic-mechanic wrote:It is unlikely but not impossible that a valve will do that but of course I hate discussing noises without hearing it.
You probably won't like to hear it but younshould have taken the head off and had a real good look at everything.
Thanks i think this is the last in my quest to find the fault

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk