What to look for when buying high mileage 1.9TDI?

ThatBloke
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

What to look for when buying high mileage 1.9TDI?

Post by ThatBloke »

I'm going to look at a 2002 Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDI Manual 220,000km on the clock, been looking for a Golf Estate but there are not many around :(
What must I look out for to prevent buying a lemon?
Potential pitfalls of these older A4 avants/1.9TDI engines?
Luckily it's a manual so hopefully no expensive gearbox issues but are the manual boxes in these vehicles relatively hassle free?

Pic of the vehicle:
ThatBloke
Cadet

Re: What to look for when buying high mileage 1.9TDI?

Post by ThatBloke »

Bump, would appreciate some advice guys, I'm going to see the vehicle tomorrow so time is of the essence.
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

220k is hardly high mileage for a tdi. The best is to go there with VCDS to scan and do a quick log. If that's not possible, I would ask that the owner let you cold start the car. Check for signs of recent, major engine work (i.e if the head gasket tab on the front of the motor looks new, etc. Check for turbo whining, white smoke, black smoke, an uneven idle, tappety motor sound. Check the long term fuel consumption on the display.
ThatBloke
Cadet

Post by ThatBloke »

THANAS wrote:220k is hardly high mileage for a tdi. The best is to go there with VCDS to scan and do a quick log. If that's not possible, I would ask that the owner let you cold start the car. Check for signs of recent, major engine work (i.e if the head gasket tab on the front of the motor looks new, etc. Check for turbo whining, white smoke, black smoke, an uneven idle, tappety motor sound. Check the long term fuel consumption on the display.
Thanks THANAS, I don't have a VCDS currently but I may be able to borrow one, will that be able to show a history of the fault codes?
How do you check the long term fuel consumption, scroll through the dashboard display info and one will be the long term consumption?

Apart from running through the gears and doing a road test what can I check on the gearbox, noises to listen for?
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

U wont be able to check the fault history on that specific car.. u can check for any existing fault codes though, mileage rewinding is also common - vcds can check true mileage.

U can also kind of tell condition of injectors from vcds.

Gearboxes seem quite strong on them, u can listen for whining while driving, or the common dmf issue - a rattle that goes away when the clutch pedal is pressed. U can also check for clutch slippage (go WOT from a lower speed in a low gear (be reasonable when doing this)

These are about the most costly stuff that can go wrong (also what thanas has advised regarding smoke, turbo, etc). Also check if the car has a service history and what type of oil was being used - proper spec of oil is very important on these engines.

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk
When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
ThatBloke
Cadet

Post by ThatBloke »

Thanks Ashveer, appreciate the info.

At 220,000km what kind of work should have been done recently or what will be coming up soon?
Diesel still uses timing chains etc?
How much parts crossover is there between the Audi and VW 1.9tdi and does Goldwagen carry a fair amount of the spares?
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Cambelt should have been done at 180k kms.
Personally, i dont trust anybody. If i was in your situation, i would replace the cambelt kit with a service irrespective of the mileage. (Thats just me though..) A service with a cambelt kit parts only cost around R3k

A clutch should be quite worn out at 200k kms, depends on how the previous owner has driven it. If theres no slipping or dmf rattle then u should be good for now. A new clutch kit ranges from R5-9k depending on the make and whether is a dual mass or single mass kit.

Again, if the incorrect oil has been used then the cam assembly should have some wear. Its not a problem unless the car has drivability issues (misfiring, tappet noises, unstable idle, etc). A cam kit costs around R5-6k parts only.

If the car is stock, i would also remove the catalytic converter and clean up the egr and intake manifold. Maybe even drain out the oil from the intercooler.

I assume the car has a PD engine, the only chain it has is from the crank to oil pump. Otherwise its belt driven.

As Thanas also mentioned about smoke and turbo whining etc, all this stuff really depends on how the vehicle has been used as there is no specific time that the turbo/injectors/piston rings, etc must be reconditioned or replaced. So u take it as it comes (u can check for wear on these parts though so u have an idea on what will need to be done). 220k kms on a diesel engine is no issue, they can take much more it just depends on how its driven and maintained.

If the car has a pd engine, then yea most of the pd engine stuff is interchangable. There are a few differences on certain stuff between the longitudinal (on audi) and transverse engines (polo, golf), like the intake and exhaust manifolds, boost piping, etc is different.

And yes, goldwagon stocks most if not all parts for these cars.

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
ThatBloke
Cadet

Post by ThatBloke »

Went and looked at it just now, nice body, interior not terrible considering the age(apart from that velvet touch coating that goes south on all older vag vehicles) but aircon is not working, apparently the compressor is toast and will cost R15k+ to repair :(

It wasn't totally cold on start up, made a small amount of black smoke but when the guy was moving the car out of the parking area it made a fair amount of blue smoke, what would that indicate?

Apparently the turbo was replaced recently, guy is asking R55k, probably too much even if the aircon wasn't broken, especially seeing it's the Avant/old/higher mileage.

I took it for a spin, man that engine pulls when the turbo kicks in! Very surprised, would be a fun car to drive, nice smooth clutch.
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

Walk away, I wouldn't buy a car without working aircon unless it never came with it in the first place. Plenty good TDIS out there.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Blue smoke is oil..

ThatBloke
Cadet

Post by ThatBloke »

Ashveer03 wrote:Blue smoke is oil..

Seems the oil can be turbo seals, valve guide seals or worn rings
THANAS wrote:Walk away, I wouldn't buy a car without working aircon unless it never came with it in the first place. Plenty good TDIS out there.
At R55k not worth it, R40k just maybe
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Yeah can be either of those.. im sure u could find a better 1

ThatBloke
Cadet

Post by ThatBloke »

But I'm mighty impressed with the acceleration on the 1.9tdi, especially on a big car like an A4 stationwagon it pulled like a sports car and it seemed like it had legs, I was in a residential area so couldn't really test it but to my mind best of both worlds, apparently very good economy and a bit of gas when you need it.

The polo 1.9tdi with such a small body must shunt?!
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

I have a polo 1.9tdi sportline, pretty nippy when stock, more like a demon when modified.. lol

ThatBloke
Cadet

Post by ThatBloke »

Ashveer03 wrote:I have a polo 1.9tdi sportline, pretty nippy when stock, more like a demon when modified.. lol

It must be seriously nippy with mods. What advantages would your modded 1.9 diesel have over the the stock polo gti petrol, more low down grunt?

How is the torque curve applied in the stock TDI?
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Im sure i would smoke a stock polo gti.. with the stock turbo and stage2 i could run away from a stock manual golf 5 gti

Regarding the torque, it has loads of torque low down (i havnt dyno'd yet - still running in a new clutch but it should be between 400-500nm)

Tabiso
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Tabiso »

Guys, my problem is that when driving over 140-160, the car starts to over heat. Months back, I was involved in accident and everything was repaired. On a steep incline, it gets quicker to over heat. Golf 5 1.9 tdi.

What could be the problem?.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carel040
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by Carel040 »

(That bloke) walk away look for a decent 1.9 Tdi polo ASZ are scarce ATD are also fun to drive just did stage one one mine smoked stock mk 5 GTI lol sleeper factory stock

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Tabiso wrote:Guys, my problem is that when driving over 140-160, the car starts to over heat. Months back, I was involved in accident and everything was repaired. On a steep incline, it gets quicker to over heat. Golf 5 1.9 tdi.

What could be the problem?.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please start ur own thread and u will be advised from there.

Jueshen
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by Jueshen »

man how much i love mine!
but blue or white smoke could be injectors, which are 7-9 k each, can be refurbed / swopped for 3k each
4.4l per 100km is my consumption calculated when filling at the pump, obc says 4.2
over 1750km on a tank everytime with still over 7l left in reserve! (85l tank)

b6 1.9tdi common faults:

Plenum Chamber Grommets - have not experienced this
-Plenum Chamber grommets block with silt allowing water to fill the plenum chamber infront of the windscreen. Causes flooding into passenger footwell, ECU, HVAC fan, brake servo.
-Remove grommets by removing battery and battery tray.

Wiper mechanism seizing - have not experienced this
-The mechanism that links the motor to the wiper arms can seize up
-Remove mechanism and regrease all moving parts

Air con regas - have not experienced this, but could be colder
-Airconditioning system slowly leaks and requires regular regas. Pump fails to operate below a certain gas pressure.
-Regas every couple of years.

Brake Light Switch - have had this happen once
-Traction control light comes on when brake pedal is first pressed
-Replace Brake light Switch

Airbag connector below seat - have this fault on front passenger seat, i clear with vcds and have found a good seat position
-Airbag connectors below driver or passenger seat cause airbag light to come on
-Clean connector and add switch lubricant to connections

Speakers crackling - i have this happens for a split second or so
-Door connections for speaker wires were manufactured with grease in the terminals which breaks down and causes speakers to fail & crackle
-Remove grease from door connectors

Rear washer jets block - think mine is blocked, but i dont use rear wipe as is sits skew after use and is a mission to get aligned!
-Rear washer jets block causing washer pipe failure and corrosion within tailgate
-Keep jets clean

Glovebox hinges - have not experienced this
-The soft close damper/ glovebox light switch unit becomes stiff putting unnecessary stress on the glovebox hinges
-Remove plastic cover on the side of the glovebox and lubricate light switch plunger

Worn fuel line - this i can see how it happens, but i dont have the issue as mine is sitting correct
-On 1.9 TDI -The fuel line rubs on the underside of the air intake pipe that goes into the EGR valve. Wear occurs because braided protection slides further down the fuel line exposing the rubber.
-Reposition braided protection on fuel line and secure with zip tie/ jubilee clip

HVAC failure - i have this issue show up in vcds, but i cant say it affects anything, i clear with vcds and re-calibrate every no and then
-There are small servos that control the HVAC system which are prone to failure. Motors show signs of failure when the start to 'click'. Defroster flap commonly first to fail. Remove glovebox to access 4 servos including defroster flap.
-Replace servo or disconnect whilst open.

Coolant Temperature Sensor
-Prone to failure and throw an intermittent fault code
-Replace coolant sensor

Thermostat - mine was stuck open and car was never reaching temp, replaced with cambelt service and gets to 90 in 10min and stays there!
-Prone to fail overtime and engine can no longer remain at 90 degrees during use. Engine takes a long time to warm up.
-Replace thermostat

Battery failure - have not experienced this
-First signs of the battery failing is a brake warning light on the DIS followed by 3 beeps. First occurs during cold weather. A good battery should hold 12.6v, weak battery will be 12.2v or less.
-Replace battery

Rear Anti roll bars - have not experienced this
-Anti roll bars corrode, crack the plastic collar which then damages the rubber bush.
-Replace anti roll bar and rubber bushes

Wiper blades - have not experienced this but i do know you have to buy proper audi blades and not just any generic, but i made a plan and fitted generic ones :)
-Clips securing the wiper blade to the arm break. Also plastic hinge piece prone to wear allowing deflector blade to touch & scratch the windscreen.
-Replace entire wiper arm as clips are not available separately.

another issue is suspension creak which i have when turning, apparently the anti roll bars need greasing to could be shock top mounts

think thats about it!
Ex:
2007 Polo GTI
Eurodyne! 230WHP & 390NM @ KAR 2016 - without OB
2013 Honda Ballade Elegance
1996 Honda Ballade 150i
1994 Honda Ballade 150 Luxline
1991 Citi Golf 1.3
2009 Citi Rox 1.4i
2007 Polo 1.6 Comfortline
1989 Citi Sport 1.8
ThatBloke
Cadet

Post by ThatBloke »

Thanks Jueshen, that's some awesome info, your fuel economy is amazing.

The 2hnd TDI seems to be the best value with the A4, cheap to pick them up once a bit past 10yrs old, reliable and great economy for such a big car and a bit of performance when needed.

Is yours a B6 or newer version?

The 1.9 TDI has been around for donkeys years now, how has it been uprated and modified over the years?
Jueshen
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by Jueshen »

mine is b6 avant, 6 speed, avf engine code
Ex:
2007 Polo GTI
Eurodyne! 230WHP & 390NM @ KAR 2016 - without OB
2013 Honda Ballade Elegance
1996 Honda Ballade 150i
1994 Honda Ballade 150 Luxline
1991 Citi Golf 1.3
2009 Citi Rox 1.4i
2007 Polo 1.6 Comfortline
1989 Citi Sport 1.8
ThatBloke
Cadet

Post by ThatBloke »

What is a Audi Avant 2004 model 1.9 tdi 6 speed 96KW like?
I'm going to see it tomorrow, everything checks out thus far but the owner says it has slight engine vibration at idle but that the vibration goes away at speed, he says its the one engine mounting needs replacing - does that sound about right?
Could an engine vibration at idle perhaps be something more serious?

Is there anything in general I should be looking out for when I go view it?
At start there should be at most a small amount of black smoke and no white or blue smoke otherwise?

Does anyone perhaps know a mechanic near Epping in Capetown that I can take the vehicle to for a quick check-up and confirmation on the engine mounting?

I got a lift from George to CT tomorrow morning and I'm driving down specially to have a look at it!!
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

ThatBloke wrote:What is a Audi Avant 2004 model 1.9 tdi 6 speed 96KW like?
I'm going to see it tomorrow, everything checks out thus far but the owner says it has slight engine vibration at idle but that the vibration goes away at speed, he says its the one engine mounting needs replacing - does that sound about right?
Could an engine vibration at idle perhaps be something more serious?

Is there anything in general I should be looking out for when I go view it?
At start there should be at most a small amount of black smoke and no white or blue smoke otherwise?

Does anyone perhaps know a mechanic near Epping in Capetown that I can take the vehicle to for a quick check-up and confirmation on the engine mounting?

I got a lift from George to CT tomorrow morning and I'm driving down specially to have a look at it!!
If im not mistaken the 96kw 6speed is the "S-Line" with an AVF engine aswell.

Mountings are really not a common thing on this car, i have worked on a good few audi tdis with over 200k kms and never ever had a mounting issue. Its probably a dual mass flywheel vibration/rattle, which should fade off with the clutch pressed in as explained in the earlier posts. It could be a number of other things aswell, a misfire or maybe even a bashed up exhaust for example, very difficult "guessing".

A broken mounting should be quite noticeable though, if the engine has alot of movement when being revved up a little, or while driving - during gear changes..

Blue or white smoke is not acceptable.

ThatBloke
Cadet

Post by ThatBloke »

Thanks Ashveer, seems another common issue with idle vibrations is the timing not being set properly after changing the cambelt?

Ideally should there be no white or blue smoke whatsoever or is a little bit of either at certain times passable?