Turbo oil leak

marius1968
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Turbo oil leak

Post by marius1968 »

Hi I need some advice. I have a T5 1.9tdi AXB.
Last month my oil drain pipe on turbo blocked. Had a run away incident because oil found its way into intake. Only damage was cylinder head gasket blown., I could still drive it for a week after turbo was rebuilt. Then head was overhaul and new drain pipe fitted, but now oil still seeping out of exhaust. Took turbo back guys could find nothing wrong. Any ideas what could have gone wrong after cylinder head rebuilt?
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Re: Turbo oil leak

Post by Jetta2 »

It could be oil in the exhaust left over from the last incident.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
marius1968
Enlisted

Post by marius1968 »

Hi thanks for reply will take exhaust off this weekend. Are there a reducer in the oil feed pipe on these Kombi''s?
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

marius1968 wrote:Hi thanks for reply will take exhaust off this weekend. Are there a reducer in the oil feed pipe on these Kombi''s?
Upon some research, i have kind of come to a conclusion that most journal bearing turbos dont require an oil restrictor in the feed line. Most stock 1.9's that i have seen did not have an oil restrictor on them either (garrett and kkk turbos).

If your kombi still has a catalytic converter its probably clogged up with all the oil and should be removed..

Could also possibly be worn out valve guides thats passing oil to the turbo, well if the turbo is not leaking, something else is.

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk
When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
marius1968
Enlisted

Post by marius1968 »

Hi Ashveer
Kombi been decat. Head's been overall new guides and seals, but I took the cam out last night to me it looks like intake number 5 there looks like a small piece of metal stuck underneath where lifter fits in will. Will do further inspection
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Sorry but i dnt really understand that, is the metal stuck under the lifter? (Inside the lifter, where it contacts the valve?)

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Struggling to understand how anything cam/lifter related will cause oil to seep out of the exhaust. Not saying you must not fix what you see wrong there but cannot relate it to the original problem. And it takes a long time for an exhaust to clean up after massive turbo failure .
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
marius1968
Enlisted

Post by marius1968 »

Ashveer at the valve springs bottom end. How do I post pics on forum? Panic all I can think of nothing is lining up properly with that piece of metal there so oil pass through
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Yeah u rather post a pic, i used to use photobucket but its full of crap now days, u gotta find another picture hosting site like postimg or something like that (there are a few threads with directions to posting images). U basically upload the pic to their site and post the image url in ur message.

I honestly dont know which piece of metal u talking about, but the only way that oil would go into the manifold will either be from a worn guide or valve stem seal, unless the head is cracked causing oil to leak into the exhaust ports which is very unlikely to happen..
The engineers who recon'd the head would have noticed if something was incorrect/damaged in there.

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

it has to seriously push a valve out the way to cause what you are thinking. Remeber these things run in a guide. if it is pushing that hard the valve will most likely not even close and get donnered by the piston so I doubt it.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

marius1968
Enlisted

Post by marius1968 »

Took the head of that I saw was just the way the head was cast. Taking the head to work tomorrow I work at a Jeep dealer so our Technician's have a look at it. What I can see i'ts wet with oil inside exhaust ports
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

All of them? What does the pistons look like on top? Wet. If it's all of them them possibly the turbo is still pissing oil into the intake side otherwise you have a bottom end with all the rings broken.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

marius1968
Enlisted

Post by marius1968 »

Panic stripping the bottom this weekend. From what I can see head visual inspection my problem lies on 1,2 and 3
marius1968
Enlisted

Post by marius1968 »

Hi guys
I'm back took the sump of tonight first thing I noticed the oil pickup had a good amount of gunk in front of filter looks like old sealer. Will take the pistons out tomorrow to do rings and bearings. Can the blocked filter cause the oil to push back up the turbo drain pipe? Funny had no oil pressure warning light
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

no.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

marius1968
Enlisted

Post by marius1968 »

A lot of oily carbon top half(sides) of pistons
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Piston ring issues...

marius1968
Enlisted

Post by marius1968 »

Thanks lucky no cylinder wall damage
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Get the bore measured up to see if all within spec, do it properly the first time

marius1968
Enlisted

Post by marius1968 »

Thanks
marius1968
Enlisted

Post by marius1968 »

Today I strip the rings off number 2 piston between the oil and compression rings a piece of piston came off seems to me it was cracked all a long. Problem is I don't have R2500 for a new piston now looks like I gonna have to look around for a good second.
marius1968
Enlisted

Post by marius1968 »

Anyone in the Port Elizabeth area who''s got a spare piston to sell? I believe the A4 1.9tdi pistons are the same
Jambalya
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 3 months

Post by Jambalya »

marius1968 wrote:Hi I need some advice. I have a T5 1.9tdi AXB.
Last month my oil drain pipe on turbo blocked. Had a run away incident because oil found its way into intake. Only damage was cylinder head gasket blown., I could still drive it for a week after turbo was rebuilt. Then head was overhaul and new drain pipe fitted, but now oil still seeping out of exhaust. Took turbo back guys could find nothing wrong. Any ideas what could have gone wrong after cylinder head rebuilt?
I had a runaway incident on a hot stat and have since found that my turbo oil return pipe is leaking. Makes me wonder if the two are connected? :geek:
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

You need to put a picture with your request. There are literally several versions of pistons that might fit. So take a pic and put it here it will help your quest greatly.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

marius1968
Enlisted

Post by marius1968 »

Manage to find 4 pistons coming of a Jetta 4. Had my tech check it out he''s happy. The seller say''s it's high performance forged pistons. What's the difference between forged and cast oem pistons are the any changes that need to be made?