Cross Polo 1.9TDI Yes or No

Onetyrefire
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Cross Polo 1.9TDI Yes or No

Post by Onetyrefire »

Hi Everyone

I am debating whether or not to buy a Cross Polo 1.9TDI and would like some input from previous owner/experts on running costs and things to keep an eye on.

I'm in the process of selling my current car, a Golf 4 GTi (132kW), simply because the mileage is getting a bit high and part replacements are becoming more and more frequent, which I simply just cant afford as I do like to keep my car in mint condition. Next year I will be travelling alot since I will be studying (night classes) and working (full time) so I require something lighter on fuel and on the wallet preferably. Going to be driving +- 40km urban/highway mix everyday and every 2nd weekend or so I drive up to the west coast to go visit the family.

I have found this Cross Polo for sale with 128000km on the clock for R110k. Im going to check it out (check for service history, turbo recall maybe etc.) the weekend and test drive it. Would you guys recommend it?
I have been scared away from the 1.9TDIs from reading the common turbo and injector failures and considering a set of Injectors can cost anything from R2.5k refurbished to R6k new each I sh@t myself.I know diesels are lighter on fuel but services are more frequent. Is this a win or lose?
Do you guys think the 1.9TDi will be an affordable car to run and not a money pit? Because my other option would be to get a Polo Vivo and they are boring as hell but probably super cheap to run.

Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Cross Polo 1.9TDI Yes or No

Post by panic-mechanic »

Injector failures are really not that common on them.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

My brother (spdgti) has a '08 Xpolo, 290k km's, other than normal servicing with proper oil, only just now had a failure (starter motor) R2.5k from GW. No issues with Turbo's (it is a full import, not made here) Brother used to work in Atlantis and they love the open road, decent torks and excellent fuel economy. I'd take the Cross just because it looks different to a normal Polo. Services are same as normal cars, 15k km / year. Important to have proper oil used though.
The one you looking at Red by any chance?
Onetyrefire
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Post by Onetyrefire »

Howie-WP wrote: The one you looking at Red by any chance?
Yeah it is
Jueshen
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by Jueshen »

i think the 1.9tdi cross polo is still the PD injector.
use fully synthetic engine oil of correct vw spec and fill with 10ppm or 50ppm and you can change oil every 15k, so not much more but rather less maintenance, can be done at 10k but its a waste of good synthetic oil, up to you

only town driving will see a drop if driven correct but these things are best for highway.
but if driven correct all around you will get good consumption, less than 5l per 100km

so i say yes if its in a good condition, get someone to scan it, and check in engine modules group 13 i think for injector flow figures closer to 0 better, max 2, if figures doesn't look good could be a sign of lobe wear or injectors going.

check for smoke on cold start, thick white or blue is sign of injectors going
Ex:
2007 Polo GTI
Eurodyne! 230WHP & 390NM @ KAR 2016 - without OB
2013 Honda Ballade Elegance
1996 Honda Ballade 150i
1994 Honda Ballade 150 Luxline
1991 Citi Golf 1.3
2009 Citi Rox 1.4i
2007 Polo 1.6 Comfortline
1989 Citi Sport 1.8
MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years 1 month
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi »

when you say your G4 is on high mileage, what are we talking about?
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...
Carel040
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 3 months

Post by Carel040 »

Not mutch goes wrong with the atd engines but listen for clutch rattle , use vin no phone any vw and ask for service history

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
Carel040
Cadet

Post by Carel040 »

O yes go for cross polo should use 4.8 lt to 100km nice cab

Carel040
Cadet

Post by Carel040 »

One more thing to do get the Dpf removed it will protect the turbo from harmful heat