Polo 1.6 TDI Limp mode after acceleration

Shaindren
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Polo 1.6 TDI Limp mode after acceleration

Post by Shaindren »

Hi All

I Have a 2012 Polo 1.6 TDI. This Morning after accelerating to overtake a truck, the car went into Limp mode with a flashing glow plug light. After switching the car off and restarting it, it's back to normal however, if you drive it hard over 3000 rpm, it goes back into limp mode.

Any idea what could be the issue here?

Car has been serviced 2 months ago, turbo sounds normal, no boost leaks.

Any help would be appreciated.posting.php?mode=post&f=91#
Dewaldt
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Re: Polo 1.6 TDI Limp mode after acceleration

Post by Dewaldt »

Hi,

I have post (1.6 TDI Polo 2012 )the something this morning and I have the same car and the ECU needs to be replaced, new one R 22 700 vat incl.....
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

DPF regeneration needed?
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
Shaindren
Enlisted

Post by Shaindren »

ECU Seems to be fine as this was tested. DPF not the issue as a DP is fitted. Thinking may the EGR Cooler is gone. Will try getting it tested today. Fingers crossed
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Came here to post "Are you driving Dewaldt's car???" :crazy:
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

by what mechanism will a leaking oil cooler trigger an engine light?. Just trying to figure the logic? not saying it ain't just trying to figure how the management would know?
Try by getting a scan done and see if there is faults shown?.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Shaindren
Enlisted

Post by Shaindren »

Hi all. Got a scan done by someone I know. It picked up a P0087 - fuel rail/system pressure too low.

Can anyone help with what could actually be done to fix this issue?

Panic, too much reading on the net before scan hence I thought the egr packed up lol.
Tabiso
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Tabiso »

I am not certain but one thing I can tell you, your boost sensor, need to be replaced and the head gusket. I had the same problem.

And Please note that, since the replacement of the parts, never drove over 130-180 and for now the car seem to be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tabiso
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Tabiso »

Anyway, panic. Your advise on the problem I had, so helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vtroubleume
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 9 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: VW Golf Plus 1.4 BUD 2007

Post by vtroubleume »

This is a common problem in most modern diesel turbo cars lately, In most cases a fuel pressure sensor gets replaced and will still read faulty because the "boost system " is not running up to the computer boxes tolerances standards . Most cases , the turbo's veins aren't working properly, the compressor wheels have ware on them, it can be a boost leak, a faulty boost sensor , a faulty fuel pump in the engine and not in the intank fuel pump . Hope they can sort it for you.
Ex : Polo Vivo, Renault Clio 3 1.6, Renault Megane and Scenic 1.9dci, Renault Clio 3 1.4, Renault Clio 2 1.4, Peugeot 308, Mini Cooper R56 1.6, Polo Tdi 1.4, Jetta 5 2.0 Tsfi Sportline, Ford Focus 2.0a, Bmw 320d E46 f/l, Citi Golf Chico 1.6, Corsa 1.7d converted with Gsi 1.6 engine, BMW X5 3.0im, Bmw 328 E36,Opel Kadett Ts by Group N Opel team, Jetta Vr6, Bmw 316i E36, Astra 160ie, UNO Turbo by Rudi, Bmw 325i Turbo by Alpine, Golf Gti16v exec, Mazda 323 Egi, Bmw e30 318i f/l
8VALVE-zn
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 4 months
Car Make: VW Golf 1
Car Model: 2.0 h8 valve

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

Any update on the fix to what the scan picked up? I got my car scanned this weekend and it is the exact same issue that you picked up as well.
2000 Golf 1 Chico- CRANKCASE [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported & chopped by Fastcar, 288 Estas Billet, 4-2-1 43mm Brospeed Branch, 50mm-57mm-63mm Exhaust] + THE PART (2B1 speacials) -Final power @ Autotrix 111wkw & 210wnm :drool: :evil:

2007 Velociti- WHITEWALKER [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported, valve swirled, 276 Estas, 4-2-1 Branch, 57mm piping from front to back] :oops: :drool:
4ePikanini
Lieutenant
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Touareg R5
Membership No: missing

Post by 4ePikanini »

Change the fuel filter as a start.

Get it scanned with VCDS and report back.
My Touareg Build
2005 Touareg R5 Air & Bi-Xenon
8VALVE-zn
Cadet

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

Car went in for a service and the fuel filter was changed- after the service was done the car refused to start. The scan thereafter picked up the low fuel pressure error. Anyhow, tried a bit later and the car started just fine no clear signs of any problems
2000 Golf 1 Chico- CRANKCASE [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported & chopped by Fastcar, 288 Estas Billet, 4-2-1 43mm Brospeed Branch, 50mm-57mm-63mm Exhaust] + THE PART (2B1 speacials) -Final power @ Autotrix 111wkw & 210wnm :drool: :evil:

2007 Velociti- WHITEWALKER [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported, valve swirled, 276 Estas, 4-2-1 Branch, 57mm piping from front to back] :oops: :drool:
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

8VALVE-zn wrote:Car went in for a service and the fuel filter was changed- after the service was done the car refused to start. The scan thereafter picked up the low fuel pressure error. Anyhow, tried a bit later and the car started just fine no clear signs of any problems
Probably because the filter was just empty.. normally takes a good few swings before its filled up again - vcds could also be used to run the intank pump to fill up the filter

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk
When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
8VALVE-zn
Cadet

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

Shot for that Ash, when we chatted further this was the method used to get the filter filled. The car has an issue starting from time to time.

It would crank- RPM doesn't move at -> Switch the car off and then on, crank again and it would crank to about 500rpm without taking start. Turn off again, turn the key on and wait 5-10 sec -> Crank again and the car will start with a very rough and jump idle. After driving for about a 2km everything smoothes out and car drives with no issues at all. Like mentioned before the scan reads an error relating to low fuel pressure.

Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

I honestly dont understand how a fuel pressure sensor would mess around with a rpm signal..
I take it as this is a common rail injection?
When the car eventually starts, is there any overfueling? I would go through the measuring blocks and check rail pressure and stuff while swinging..
There could be something stupid going on like air in the fuel lines or a mixed up fuel pipe (kind of unlikely to happen since the car does start and run)

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk
When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Krabby
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 11 months
Car Model: Polo 6R 1.6TDI

Post by Krabby »

I am having the same problem with my polo, what was the fix to the problem?
S viljoen
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years

Post by S viljoen »

Hey guys, I'm in urgent need of some advice. I have a touran, 1.9tdi. The turbo is going into limp mode. Once you switch it off and switch it on then it is fine until you get up to speed then it is the same. I have taken it to Bosch and they have a diagnostic and changed the sensors. I have checked the pipes, no leakage. I have changed the diesel filter. I have already spent a fortune but still not fixed. I have seen that guys recon the turbo but after 3 month some goes into limp mode again. Anybody else with similar experience and solutions to this?
8VALVE-zn
Cadet

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

The fix for me was adding a stage 1 file and coding out the EGR and DPF.

Shaindren
Enlisted

Post by Shaindren »

Hi all

Been a while

Problem was my Diesel High Pressure Pump. Had this replaced and i was good to go.
Krabby
Cadet

Post by Krabby »

Shaindren wrote:Hi all

Been a while

Problem was my Diesel High Pressure Pump. Had this replaced and i was good to go.
How much did it set you back? Having the same issue with mine booked into VW Bryanston on Monday

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

Shaindren
Enlisted

Post by Shaindren »

Cost a good 21500. Killed me softly :twisted:
Krabby
Cadet

Post by Krabby »

As I go check what my extended warranty values are looking like for such claims

Krabby
Cadet

Post by Krabby »

My car went to vw, they say software was update, test drove the car and it ran fine. Drove the car home mostly in traffic so never got a chance to push it. Today coming home from work, glow plug light starts flashing but the car doesn't go into limp mode and then the engine is now on.

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

You really need to scan for faults and see what it is complaining about. It is literally guessing without that and it could be anything from boost issues to fuel pressure to egr to dpf and a couple of thousand others. Or as simple as a dead brake light switch.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.