1.9tdi Polo repair suggestions.

Docharding
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

1.9tdi Polo repair suggestions.

Post by Docharding »

Hi all

I need some advice, I have a 2006 1.9tdi Polo that is nearly on 200000km and I want to spend a bit of money on getting things done. So what I would like to know what are the common issues I should think of doing now before they become a problem. There are no problems at the moment, touch wood, however I'm thinking about just doing the whole suspension, CV's, bearings etc any advice would greatly appreciated

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
VGTI
Major
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: Cheap Ass Porsche
Car Model: 9N Sooter
Membership No: 807

Re: 1.9tdi Polo repair suggestions.

Post by VGTI »

Don't fix stuff that is not "broken"... leave the bearings, they are a pain to replace and quite expensive if you get OEM ones.
CVs, same story, if they are noisy yes replace but mine is at 328500km on original CVs, CV boots and bearings.

Suspension, look at Lower Control Arm bushes and shocks if they haven't been replaced before. You can get decent Bilsteins from Goldwagen for a good price.

Check your intercooler, it might be leaking. You will see a lot of dirt and oil on it if it does.

Your alternator pulley will fail at some stage, replace that, the tensioner and belt.

Save the rest of the money for turbo, injectors and tandem pump in case they give issues.
'04 Polo TDI 1661.9 km on 58.05l
'13 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Elite
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

VGTI wrote:Don't fix stuff that is not "broken"... leave the bearings, they are a pain to replace and quite expensive if you get OEM ones.
CVs, same story, if they are noisy yes replace but mine is at 328500km on original CVs, CV boots and bearings.

Suspension, look at Lower Control Arm bushes and shocks if they haven't been replaced before. You can get decent Bilsteins from Goldwagen for a good price.

Check your intercooler, it might be leaking. You will see a lot of dirt and oil on it if it does.

Your alternator pulley will fail at some stage, replace that, the tensioner and belt.

Save the rest of the money for turbo, injectors and tandem pump in case they give issues.

Your car is just on another level in terms of being reliable, it just never cease to amaze me.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
vee4410
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 5 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n3 1.9 TDI, 9n 1.6

Post by vee4410 »

It all depends. Issues are not always dependent on mileage or age. Do the shocks and control arm bushes as those are probably worn and rather just put some money away for any other maintenance that you might need down the road.
Current Rides:
2007 Polo 9n3 1.9 TDI
2004 Polo 9n 1.6
2015 MB w205 C180
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

vee4410 wrote:It all depends. Issues are not always dependent on mileage or age. Do the shocks and control arm bushes as those are probably worn and rather just put some money away for any other maintenance that you might need down the road.
:iagree:
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Tdi jetta 4 ever
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 13 years 5 months
Car Model: Jetta 4 1.9 Tdi, Isuzu2.5DKBLe
Membership No: missing

Post by Tdi jetta 4 ever »

As vgti mentioned. Dont fix that is not broken. Just do your normal services and major service when due. The suspension components can be checked and replaced only when needed or worn. Check brake disc and pads while you at it.
Robin
Current rides: 02' Jetta 4 1.9 Tdi, 99' Isuzu KB 250 Dle(Faithfull aka slowmo) Mercedes Benz ML 270Cdi
Ex rides: 82' jetta 1.5 Gls(sold), 88' jetta Clx(sold with tears in my eyes)

Rather buy a good quality part that will last then buying a cheap part that won't last.

VCDS user with HEX-USB+CAN cable(Rosstech)

robinwisse@gmail.com
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

Looking at your mileage your major(cam-belt,tensioner's water pump) is due if not done already.

Otherwise as others have said, don't fix whats not broken.
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
dazza
Field Marshal
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW and VW
Car Model: Amarok and Citi Sport
Membership No: 1327

Post by dazza »

If never done previously, I would do a sump service just to be sure the pickup is nice and clean
Darryn Van Rooyen
Current: 17 Amarok V6 D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6
Current: 91 Citi Sport 1.3
Current: 05 Kawasaki 200KDX, 16 KTM 300 EXC
Previous:
14 Amarok BITDI D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
12' MKVI GTI Manual
2009 Audi TT 2.0TFSI S-Tronic
2008 Honda CBX250 Twister - Crashed!
2011 Amarok BiTDI D/C Highline 4Motion
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
Wolfburger
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years
Car Model: 6C Cross Polo

Post by Wolfburger »

Hey gentlemen,

I've got abit of a problem, My car recently made this strange noise upon idle and light acceleration on the right hand side of the engine, like a bearing/belt noise I've done some research and thing it could be a possible alternator pulley that has went but before i place the car under the knife i just would like to know if it a possible problem, the cars alternator pulley has never been replaced to my knowledge and i am sitting on 346 000 on the ODO

Cambelt and tensioner was done 3 months back.

This noise is just really annoying as I'm OCD to strange noises on my car

any advice would be appreciated

Thanks Chaps
Current: 2015 6C Cross Polo TSI(Honey Orange) - Ginger
2009 Golf 5 GTI DSG - OEM Look - Sold
2007 Polo 9N3 Black Magic - Sold
1998 Bottle Green Jetta VR6 Executive - So
ld
Admin to : https://www.facebook.com/pg/ScenePointsSa
VGTI
Major
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: Cheap Ass Porsche
Car Model: 9N Sooter
Membership No: 807

Post by VGTI »

Yes most likely your alternator pulley (one way bearing). Mine jumped off at around 270000km.... literally... landed on the chassis leg with the belt.

The pulley is a bit pricey but available at Goldwagen or Diesel Electric and you will need the necesary spline tool to take it off. Replace the belt tensioner and belt at the same time.

I have the spline tool at home somewhere but will have to look for it, you are welcome to borrow it
'04 Polo TDI 1661.9 km on 58.05l
'13 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Elite
Wolfburger
Cadet

Post by Wolfburger »

Shot!

Will try and replace ASAP dont want any nasty things happening to my beloved lol

Thanks for the offer boet but ive got that laying around, Just wondering how much will it cost *Thinking* currently running a 1.4 BLM motor
ld
Wolfburger
Cadet

Post by Wolfburger »

Went to my mac and Diagnosed the strange noise on the right side of the engine as a falling water pump and not a alternator pulley as the noise seems to becoming from underneath the tensioner

Hopefully I can get it sorted this week and avoid driving the car at all

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
ld
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Wolfburger wrote:Cambelt and tensioner was done 3 months back.
You might as well have done the water pump too. My brother's Xpolo is on 290k km, and water pump was always done at cambelt (even though pump that was removed looked new still)

ps: has the water pump ever been replaced on yours? :driving:
Wolfburger
Cadet

Post by Wolfburger »

Yeah I should have now I know for next time

Yes it was last replaced at 135 000 according to the service books so this current one has a good 7 years to it's name.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
ld
Tdi jetta 4 ever
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 13 years 5 months
Car Model: Jetta 4 1.9 Tdi, Isuzu2.5DKBLe
Membership No: missing

Post by Tdi jetta 4 ever »

It can also be the bearing on the tensioner.
Robin
Current rides: 02' Jetta 4 1.9 Tdi, 99' Isuzu KB 250 Dle(Faithfull aka slowmo) Mercedes Benz ML 270Cdi
Ex rides: 82' jetta 1.5 Gls(sold), 88' jetta Clx(sold with tears in my eyes)

Rather buy a good quality part that will last then buying a cheap part that won't last.

VCDS user with HEX-USB+CAN cable(Rosstech)

robinwisse@gmail.com
ThatBloke
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Post by ThatBloke »

Shouldn't some preventative maintenance be done on the injectors, have them tested etc?

Is the 1.9tdi engine relatively bulletproof, is it the same basic power plant as on the golf and A4 of those years?
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

ThatBloke wrote:Shouldn't some preventative maintenance be done on the injectors, have them tested etc?

Is the 1.9tdi engine relatively bulletproof, is it the same basic power plant as on the golf and A4 of those years?
Purging injectors at every service or every second service is some sort of preventative maint..

In my knowledge all 4cyl PD engines are the same. Turbos and injectors are the only differences between them (74kw, 96kw and the boss is the cupra i think 118kw).
Some stuff such as the intake and exh manifolds, etc are different from longitudinal on the audis than on the transverse on the polos and golfs.. otherwise they basically the same.

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk
When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving: