Field Marshal
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Make: VW and VW
Car Model: Amarok and Citi Sport
Membership No: 1327

Re: 2008 polo 1.9tdi couple of questions

Post by dazza »

Advice:

Buy the best car you can with the lowest mileage you can afford. Only buy if the car has full service history at dealers or at decent RMI agent.
Keep the car serviced regularly using the correct spec oil and do the sump service.
Take an aftermarket warranty(Most will cost R200-R300 per month) if you do not have money readily available for repairs. If you can access 15-20K easily then leave the warranty.
No need to take a service plan in my opinion.
Have the car checked by someone who knows the car in question well after taking delivery, take back to dealer if any serious issues are found
Darryn Van Rooyen
Current: 17 Amarok V6 D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6
Current: 91 Citi Sport 1.3
Current: 05 Kawasaki 200KDX, 16 KTM 300 EXC
Previous:
14 Amarok BITDI D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
12' MKVI GTI Manual
2009 Audi TT 2.0TFSI S-Tronic
2008 Honda CBX250 Twister - Crashed!
2011 Amarok BiTDI D/C Highline 4Motion
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
Eyecon
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by Eyecon »

Hi All, new here, and also on the market for a TDI 2006/07 sportline.
Most of the info you guys are giving is fairly generic. Its astounding that the repair costs are so high? Currently driving a accord, and so far so good - the repairs on that thing is next to nothing with close to 250k on the clock.

This tdi i heard is hardy, but based on what im reading, its not what its rep puts it out to be? or am i mistaken? cause if its only good to hit near 400k on milage before issues or must be low milage, how reliable are they actually then?
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Eyecon wrote:This tdi i heard is hardy, but based on what im reading, its not what its rep puts it out to be? or am i mistaken? cause if its only good to hit near 400k on milage before issues or must be low milage, how reliable are they actually then?
Wat ????
dazza
Field Marshal

Post by dazza »

Eyecon wrote:Hi All, new here, and also on the market for a TDI 2006/07 sportline.
Most of the info you guys are giving is fairly generic. Its astounding that the repair costs are so high? Currently driving a accord, and so far so good - the repairs on that thing is next to nothing with close to 250k on the clock.

This tdi i heard is hardy, but based on what im reading, its not what its rep puts it out to be? or am i mistaken? cause if its only good to hit near 400k on milage before issues or must be low milage, how reliable are they actually then?
I had a polo sportline for 2 years - zero issues
I had a Cupra TDi for 3 years - zero issues

That being said its a second hand car with an unknown past and anything can go wrong.
If the exterior and interior condition of the car is good and full service history then it should be OK. A car that was not treated with respect by the previous owner can quickly be identified by the condition of the car overall
Darryn Van Rooyen
Previous:
12' MKVI GTI Manual
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
Eyecon
Enlisted

Post by Eyecon »

Howie-WP wrote:
Eyecon wrote:This tdi i heard is hardy, but based on what im reading, its not what its rep puts it out to be? or am i mistaken? cause if its only good to hit near 400k on milage before issues or must be low milage, how reliable are they actually then?
Wat ????
Based on this forum purely. Dont get me wrong im keen on one, however not must is being said in this thread. Apart from use good fuel, and regular oil changes with the right oil. Injector issues?

Other than the above what are "known" issues... as practically every make n model of car has a known issue. Your advise is HIGHLY appreciated
Eyecon
Enlisted

Post by Eyecon »

dazza wrote:
Eyecon wrote:Hi All, new here, and also on the market for a TDI 2006/07 sportline.

That being said its a second hand car with an unknown past and anything can go wrong.
If the exterior and interior condition of the car is good and full service history then it should be OK. A car that was not treated with respect by the previous owner can quickly be identified by the condition of the car overall

DAZZA- BIG thank you!!!! i have to agree with you on that. Last one, why is there the cloth interior vs leather - most cloth interior has the sunroof?
dazza
Field Marshal

Post by dazza »

Eyecon wrote:
dazza wrote:

DAZZA- BIG thank you!!!! i have to agree with you on that. Last one, why is there the cloth interior vs leather - most cloth interior has the sunroof?
On the sportlines if I recall, Leather, Sunroof and ESP were all options and not standard on the car
Darryn Van Rooyen
Previous:
12' MKVI GTI Manual
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
VGTI
Major
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: Cheap Ass Porsche
Car Model: 9N Sooter
Membership No: 807

Post by VGTI »

dazza wrote:

I've had mine for 12+ years and the most I've spent on repairs was R2500 for a new intercooler (Valeo) from Goldwagen.

Small things like brake light switch, fan resistor pack and so on are hardly worth mentioning!

The car is now on 312400km and still using the original turbo, clutch and injectors!

Maintenance is also cheap...
Replaced rear brake pads and disks at 195000km
Replaced front brake pads and disks at 64000km and again only at 220000km

As said if it was looked after it should look after you!
'04 Polo TDI 1661.9 km on 58.05l
'13 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Elite
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

VGTI wrote: I've had mine for 12+ years and the most I've spent on repairs was R2500 for a new intercooler (Valeo) from Goldwagen.

Small things like brake light switch, fan resistor pack and so on are hardly worth mentioning!

The car is now on 312400km and still using the original turbo, clutch and injectors!

Maintenance is also cheap...
Replaced rear brake pads and disks at 195000km
Replaced front brake pads and disks at 64000km and again only at 220000km

As said if it was looked after it should look after you!

Wow
12 years, its been a long relationship.
It has treated really well, did you buy it new ?

I dont see you selling her ever or if you do what will you replace her with?
When a car has treated you so well, you just wish it could last you forever.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Leon.9
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 4 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: 1.9tdi

Post by Leon.9 »

To the TDI crew - salute!

Advice please on related thread.
2 deals i have to consider:

1) What is the book value o a 2008 polo 1.9 tdi 96kw sportline 5 door, with the red I?
135 000km on the clock, full service history with agents.

Guy is asking for 110k. Is it a fare price? i know they were made in limited numbers.

2) 2007 2 door sportline with 150 000km with fsh with agents
One owner asking price 95k

which is the better deal?
"Every dog has it's day!"
VGTI
Major
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: Cheap Ass Porsche
Car Model: 9N Sooter
Membership No: 807

Post by VGTI »

Leon.9 wrote:To the TDI crew - salute!

Advice please on related thread.
2 deals i have to consider:

1) What is the book value o a 2008 polo 1.9 tdi 96kw sportline 5 door, with the red I?
135 000km on the clock, full service history with agents.

Guy is asking for 110k. Is it a fare price? i know they were made in limited numbers.

2) 2007 2 door sportline with 150 000km with fsh with agents
One owner asking price 95k

which is the better deal?
I think this one depends on your choice for 2 or 4 door...

Both of them are just run in and if they were well maintained with the correct oil should run for ever

Check body work and make sure the cambelt and tensioner and pulleys were changed.
'04 Polo TDI 1661.9 km on 58.05l
'13 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Elite
deon rupnarain
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 2 months
Membership No: missing

Post by deon rupnarain »

Got my 1.9tdi early this year and to date problem free driving

Mileage is 190000kms , with FSH till 171000kms ...

Beautiful car and excellent economy .

If u buying from a dealership u have a 6mnt cooling off period so u safe ....

If u buying pvtly, check hiw long he had the car and quote the VIN number at the agents to check wgats been done to the car , u should be able to know what type of conditon of car u buying from these little things here...

Heeneyways ...good luck!!!!

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk
Current :
2008 1.9tdi 6 speed 4door :grin:
2022 Toyota Corolla Xr :bang: