Winter - windscreen misting (inside)

This forum is designated for Detailing discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 2033

Re: Winter - windscreen misting (inside)

Post by Howie-WP »

ChefDJ wrote:Would it not be viable to have the aircon repaired?
Yes..... on the list of things to do. Just looking for an interim solution. Cat crystals seem to be working, used the car whole week and no misting.
ChefDJ wrote:Summer is coming.
The mk3 Gti is my winter car, I don't use the .:R32 in the rain :oops: So for summer Wookie for the win.
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member

Post by Howie-WP »

So back to this thread.
Cat crystals working well. I however want to properly clean the inside of the windscreen, what is the best method to remove the grim and stuff to clean the glass best?? I need to do this for Wookie as well.
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Post by lawrence »

Use a decent glass cleaner - Meguiars crystal glass cleaner works well and smells really good but is a bit pricey. Autoglym Fast glass is dirt cheap by comparison and works just as well. Mostly anything in between should be ok, as long as it is a reputable brand.

You want to avoid cleaners with amonia in them, especially if you intend applying on tinted windows.

Cleaners with any form of silicone in them will lead to misting issues on interior glass.

The real trick to cleaning glass though is using LOTS of clean and dedicated glass towels, so that you avoid smearing dirt from one part of the glass to another.

For the outside glass:

Wash during your normal car wash
Then clay off any contamination - Larry (Ammo NYC) has a good glass cleaning video, in which he uses a razor (attempt at your own risk) to remove the contamination.
You can also then machine polish to further remove anything on the glass
Clean with a clean MF towel and a heavy'ish application of glass cleaner (lots of cleaner to breakdown the initial grime)
Repeat with a fresh MF towel but this time a light mist of cleaner (less cleaner to avoid streaking)
Top with something like C-Thru

For interior glass

Clean with a clean MF towel and a heavy'ish application of glass cleaner (lots of cleaner to breakdown the initial grime)
Repeat with a fresh MF towel but this time a light mist of cleaner (less cleaner to avoid streaking)
Wipe with a dry MF towel

In both cases I will wear nitrile gloves to avoid the oils from your skin getting onto the towel, and then onto the glass.

Wipe up/down on the exterior glass and left/right on the interior.... if you get any streaking you will know if it is on the inside or outside by the direction of the streak.

It also helps to have some stand on the other side of the glass and shine a torch into your eyes while you move your head around looking for streaks...

You want a cloth that is relatively short nap (not a super plushy one)

I have a set of 10 (that only every touch glass - don't expect to get your glass properly clean if you are using a MF towel that was previously used to apply a tyre dressing or wax for example.

Something else that I have been finding works very well for your final wipe to avoid any possible linting issues are the SUEDE MF Towels that are used when applying ceramic coatings, which are available at most of the dedicate detailer stores.
4ePikanini
Lieutenant
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Model: Touareg R5
Membership No: missing

Post by 4ePikanini »

Make sure the inside glass is crystal clean.

Wipe with microfibre cloth and surgical alcohol. Then clean again with a fresh microfibre. The cleaner the glass, the less mist.
My Touareg Build
2005 Touareg R5 Air & Bi-Xenon
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member

Post by Howie-WP »

Thanks for the feedback guys, will be trying this. Only recently noticed how grimy the glass was on the inside. Might also be as the Mk3 is not used as often and was left parked in the garage with window(s) open.
markfish888
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Model: B7A4 -JETTA Mk2
Membership No: 1787

Post by markfish888 »

I have tried potato, shaving foam ( old diving trick) , limited success..

The only cure i found was to keep window spotlessly clean inside.
( if you smoke, you making it worse, the condensation clings to the smokers film)

Do not use the same chamois / microfibre you use for car paint/intrerior
I use Meguiars window. had 1 bottle for 3 years now it still 3/4 full , only use a little at a time.
Must use 2 dedicated , clean/new microfibre. 1 to apply, 1 to buff.
Dont use the same one to apply , and wipe off.

Meth Spirits and newspaper also worked, but I dont know if safe for tint..
MK2's dont die, they just get faster!!

markfish888
Cadet

Post by markfish888 »

dlb post
Last edited by markfish888 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

markfish888
Cadet

Post by markfish888 »

rain-x also good, must apply according to instructions