Where did you start?

This forum is designated for Detailing discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
GaVeN
Committee Member
Registered for: 14 years 10 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: A4 B8 Sooter
Membership No: missing

Where did you start?

Post by GaVeN »

Where did you start detailing? Or, how did it come about?

I see all too many guys doing "detailing", but have very limited knowledge on paint, characteristics & the do's & dont's. Seen so many new guys on the radar, and then they disappear altogether, or making rookie mistakes.

I'm curious to find out how other detailers here started out, and how you ended up doing it.

I personally started off by spray painting, and with that comes the wet sanding & polishing stage afterwards.
The holograms from compounds, pads & rotary got me researching & chasing that perfect showroom finish.
From there I got a few clients asking me to rectify panelbeater recklessness etc.
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace

Re: Where did you start?

Post by amstel18 »

I am no detailer, but from personal preference, I always like having a clean car that is good looking.

I started out with my first car back in 2008, and the Meguiars phase kicked in, where I thought it was the bees knees. So in search of a better look I started experimenting with different products and reading up on different and improved methods.

I quite enjoy cleaning my car, its relaxing for me. But this bloody water restrictions ain't helping. I am itching to do a full decontamination and wax on my new car...
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
Dirty Harry
Captain
Registered for: 15 years 4 months
Car Make: People Carrier
Car Model: footswagen
Membership No: 1640

Post by Dirty Harry »

By seeing Lawrence posting his mirror like results. Then noticing and feeling how terrible my car is. Went to the Meguiars course, thought I could make some extra pocket money from it, then I realised what actually went into it. It is **** ton of work, but the results are rewarding. I had stopped for a while, but now having a dark color car again the need to sort the paint out has got me dusting off my equipment and playing around.

I'll be honest, I know f-all about this stuff compared to the likes of Lawrence and Gaven, but I know enough to be able know **** paint when I see it.
Kyle
General
Registered for: 11 years
Car Make: Porsche
Car Model: Adidas TYP 64
Membership No: 1922

Post by Kyle »

Well I had some panel beaters in the family, always volunteered to help when it came to the polishing stage.

Then pretty much just trying to perfect my own cars, then friends got involved and asked me to sort theirs out...

Spiraled from there really.

Think the main thing is I spent a long time perfecting my technique on my own and family owned cars before offering it as a service.
Current:
'03 BMW E46 330i Individual

Ex:
'06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon
'03 S3 8L
'11 A3 1.6TDi
'70 VW Beetle 1600 Twin Port
'00 A4 2.4 V6,
'09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T,
2013 Vivo Gran Turismo,
E36 M3 Coupe,
E46 320i Individual MSport,
'98 Civic V Tec,
E36 318is Msport,
E30 318i Coupe,
GOLF MK1 GT

Why make things easy for yourself when you can make them incredibly difficult and complicated.
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 8 months
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Post by lawrence »

I started off like most people do - wanting to keep their own car looking good.

Landed up spotting a free Meguiars course somewhere on the old speed and sound forum and booked myself on it (along with Troy [6_teen valve] and Vasi [Devzo].

The bug bit, and bit hard.... and it has never let go...

The reward I get from the turn around in the cars itself is great, as is the reaction from most owners.
But it is even more rewarding to play a small part in motivating others to look after their cars better and help educate them
All the 'science' behind the detailing (chemicals etc) also really interest me
And then ever changing environment and constant development means a never ending stream of new stuff to learn, which helps keep the ageing brain in check.
Irfaan
fuckitimtiredletsgetdonewiththis
Registered for: 15 years 10 months
Car Model: 07' Velociti, 06' MK5 GTi
Membership No: 1757

Post by Irfaan »

GaVeN wrote:
I see all too many guys doing "detailing", but have very limited knowledge on paint, characteristics & the do's & dont's. Seen so many new guys on the radar, and then they disappear altogether, or making rookie mistakes.
Not as rookie as this:

Someone on Facebook posted a pic of their "detailing" work done on an Audi S3 recently, no close up's not even corrective close ups, just a photoshopped 50/50 pic where the left side of the pic is miraculously 2 shades darker with a yellow over tone (even the street and sky seems like it was detailed) :lol:

Anyway, my toppie was a panel beater, I was always around the shop and I only knew that a rotary machine existed, I never understood how to get rid of swirls. I hologrammed and added buffer trails all over my Citi. Enter Lawrence, read his in depth explanations, started youtubing, and now I know how to use my 1 bucket, chamois and sunlight liquid much better

:troll:
Yip I still got my 1.4 Citi
Zubair
Major-General
Registered for: 21 years 3 months
Car Model: MK1

Post by Zubair »

Started off as therapy, grew into passion and currently on obsession.

Special thanks goes out to Lawrence for encouraging the madness.
Ex '02 Citi.Com 20VT K04
Ex '12 GTI 6 Candy White,Manual,Revo STG 2, 250whp 460nm KAR pump fuel only.

'80 MK1 L 2Dr 8V Throttles
'92 CTI 16VT 240whp @ Panic 0.3 bars boost.
'12 GTI 6 Candy White DSG 14.4 @ 160km/h Tarlton Stock Std.

Zubair Aka Boost Junkie

ZUB-AIR-RESEARCH
Boost Developments
MaX
Lieutenant
Registered for: 12 years 6 months
Membership No: 1802

Post by MaX »

Started in school where my dad gave me his car for the Saterday night jol if I washed it. From there it was an ever growing desire to get the car to look better than the other guys' cars and from there it grew to an obsession. Made lots of mistakes, learnt from them and happy to call myself an enthusiast detailer with enough skill to keep my cars looking better than those owned by the regular weekend washer :) Will never do this as a business, its more a hobby
2014 BMW F30 335i(A) ActiveHybrid3
2015 Golf VII GTI DSG Performance Pack

ex:2011 Polo GTI DSG
2011Jetta 2.0 TSI (CAW)
Kyle
General
Registered for: 11 years
Car Make: Porsche
Car Model: Adidas TYP 64
Membership No: 1922

Post by Kyle »

Irfaan wrote:
GaVeN wrote:
Not as rookie as this:

Someone on Facebook posted a pic of their "detailing" work done on an Audi S3 recently, no close up's not even corrective close ups, just a photoshopped 50/50 pic where the left side of the pic is miraculously 2 shades darker with a yellow over tone (even the street and sky seems like it was detailed) :lol:

Anyway, my toppie was a panel beater, I was always around the shop and I only knew that a rotary machine existed, I never understood how to get rid of swirls. I hologrammed and added buffer trails all over my Citi. Enter Lawrence, read his in depth explanations, started youtubing, and now I know how to use my 1 bucket, chamois and sunlight liquid much better

I saw that :lol: :lol: :lol:
Current:
'03 BMW E46 330i Individual

Ex:
'06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon
'03 S3 8L
'11 A3 1.6TDi
'70 VW Beetle 1600 Twin Port
'00 A4 2.4 V6,
'09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T,
2013 Vivo Gran Turismo,
E36 M3 Coupe,
E46 320i Individual MSport,
'98 Civic V Tec,
E36 318is Msport,
E30 318i Coupe,
GOLF MK1 GT

Why make things easy for yourself when you can make them incredibly difficult and complicated.
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 8 months
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Post by lawrence »

Kyle wrote:
Irfaan wrote:
GaVeN wrote:
Not as rookie as this:

I saw that :lol: :lol: :lol:
Please post a pic here - I need a laugh :lol:
Le Clue
Field Marshal
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Model: Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
Membership No: 1458

Post by Le Clue »

i started at the bottom now I'm here..
Previous Rides:
2016 VW Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
2011 VW Golf Mk6 R
2007 VW Golf Mk5 GTI
2013 VW Polo 6R GTI
2011 VW Scirocco GT 2.0TSI
2010 VW Golf Mk6 GTI
2007 VW Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
2009 VW CitiRox 1.6i
mikhail117
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 1 month
Car Make: Volkwagen
Car Model: CW Polo 6R GTi

Post by mikhail117 »

My grandfather was a panel beater and used to restore old cars. At the time, while I found myself interested, the bug only hit when I bought my own first car. I completely ruined the paint trying everything to get it to "shine", then learned about detailing and took an interest in it. Got most of my theory from Lawrence and his openness to sharing, before finally getting some practical training at Crossley and Webb in Cape Town. Got to work on some amazing cars and much like Lawrence and Kyle mentioned, started with my car, had a friend want theirs done and it took off from there
Mikhail Petersen

mjpetersen@mweb.co.za
dazza
Field Marshal
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW and VW
Car Model: Amarok and Citi Sport
Membership No: 1327

Post by dazza »

Started to play around when I got my 87 Citi. Since it was going to be a project car I wanted to do most of the work myself, that being mechanical and cosmetic. Have read probably all Lawrence's detailing threads here and decided to get a few key pieces of equipment to start "learning" on the golf.
Since then have watched a lot of Larry's videos on youtube (AmmoNyc) and read a few detailing articles
Darryn Van Rooyen
Current: 17 Amarok V6 D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6
Current: 91 Citi Sport 1.3
Current: 05 Kawasaki 200KDX, 16 KTM 300 EXC
Previous:
14 Amarok BITDI D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
12' MKVI GTI Manual
2009 Audi TT 2.0TFSI S-Tronic
2008 Honda CBX250 Twister - Crashed!
2011 Amarok BiTDI D/C Highline 4Motion
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
devZo
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years
Car Model: Polo TSI
Membership No: 1395

Post by devZo »

My interest in proper car care and detailing stemmed from my dad’s obsession with always having a clean car. This rubbed off on me-experimenting with products on my folks and family member’s vehicles. I remember doing the meguiars deep crystal 3 step(paint cleaner, polish, wax) by hand with applicator pads numerous times and I think this somewhat explains my slightly crooked fingers, lol.

As Lawrence mentioned, attended the Megs course and this is when i got really hooked. It was at this class we all got to take the Megs Dual Action Polisher for spin on the bonnet of a Daytona Violet m3. Seeing what was achievable using this polisher prompted me to place an order for one the very same day! After refining my skill on my own vehicles I started offering it to others.

It is a labour of love, in a constantly evolving environment. I am not one to knock down the techniques and methods of others in the industry. If there are people willing to pay for someone to hack their vehicle then so be it-invariably they will end up on the doorstep of a more experienced detailer to sort out their mess!
Polo TSI Highline DSG
ex:Polo TSI Comfortline
ex:MKVII GTI DSG
ex:MKVI GTI DSG CPi Tuned
ex:MKV GTI CPi Tuned
ex:Polo TDI Sportline
ex:VeloCiti 1.4i
Ex-Rides Thread
LoW n SloW
Lieutenant
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Post by LoW n SloW »

The bug bit when i had my 1st corolla back in 2009, always wanted it clean, but was always worried about the fine line that i saw at night under street lights and in the sun... so i bought a buffer at autostyle, that shook my whole body. only used it once and i gave it away to my one friend hahahahaha

And resorted to use my hands "polishing" my car using cleaner wax

Then i got my ibiza and joined this forum where i figured ive been doing everything wrong my whole life, attended a detail demo at Dubcorp, where LAwrence and Kyle did magic on a small detaitl on a Audi a4, since then i never looked back and kept doing research ever since

Now i have my own DA been collecting products that i need to get started now i even have a bonnet to practice new products on... still alot to learn also do alot of youtube learning from the legends themselves Kevin Brown, Larry Kosilla and the crew
2001 'rolla 160 gle (ex)
2000 'rolla facelift RSi (ex. miss this) - exhaust and vernier
2005 old schooled caddy (ex)
2001 'rolla RXi airbag spec (ex) - exhaust, vernier, cai
1995 vw golf 1 ((ex)
2006 seat ibiza FR 1.9 TDI (current) - cupra FMIC, straight pipe, RK mild nandos chicken sauce 132wkw, 426nm
2012 Audi A1 1.6 TDI (stock as they come)
LostEnigma
Captain
Registered for: 10 years 11 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: S3 8L
Membership No: 3207

Post by LostEnigma »

I got into the whole thing when I got my GT... It had marks all over it from the transporting covers..

Checked for detailers on the forum.. Phoned around and the prices I was charged were beyond ridiculous! Spent that money on my own products and tools, and youtube, cd forum and autogeek became bookmarks.

Importing the Flex LVG back then before it was in South Africa definitely taught me about Vaseline.
Current:

2003 Mexico Blue Audi S3 8L 280.7 WKW - 424NM - Bagged by FS Projects, YT Revision & Only Charged Dubs - ISPIRI WHEELS FTW

Ex:

2013 VW Candy White Polo Vivo GT - SOLD
1997 VW White Chico Golf - SOLD
Rsi huntered
Captain
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Post by Rsi huntered »

I started off by always wanting my cars niceeeee and clean and at that point in time, in my cleaning career i did not know handy andy/sun light liquid was the devil :crazy: :lol: :lol: :evil: :evil: (taught it was the greatest invention god could give us :lol: :lol: :grin: )

I started getting more and more and more interested after i saw Lawrence details threads and started reading more and more and more(you get the point) which lead to you tubing ALOT and eventually lead to doing my cars and the bug madness just bit and life was never the same again :sad: :sad: :grin:

The End!!!!!!
Golf 6 Ed. 35 - 2013 (FR&R Tuned)
Tiguan 2018 R-Line :evil:
Polo 6C Ex
2004 Golf 1 Baby 1.4i +VAT :evil: 76.3 WHP@K.A.R
Polo 2008(9n3)Ex:-(
Golf 1(2 door)branch,exhaust,domingo's,leather seats,electric windows, 2.0L 16v ( sold ) :cry: Ex.
Golf 2 2L 16v full house(RIP) :bang: Ex
Jetta 2 1.8 16v full house(sold) Ex