Decent 'entry level' polish?

This forum is designated for Detailing discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
Spoilt01
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: CitiRox 1.4i
Membership No: missing

Decent 'entry level' polish?

Post by Spoilt01 »

Hi,

I would like to ask the detailing guys about a decent entry level polish which is reasonably priced?

I have used the Autoglym product range and the polish wasn't too bad but didn't like the wash (wasn't foamy/soapy enough )and trim detailing products (mission to wash clean)... :sad:
I then gave the CarChem range a try and really enjoying their wash and trim detailing products! I don't however see a polish of their's so not too sure what would pair up well with the wash. I use mainly the Crazy Detailer website to order I am based in Cape Town.

Any advise would be appreciated. :hug:

Thanks!
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Re: Decent 'entry level' polish?

Post by lawrence »

Im going to go out on a limb here and assume you are confusing terminology of products - not hard to do given that even manufacturers 'mis-label' stuff..

To clarify, to polish is to use an ABRASIVE substance to grind off some of your paint, in order to re-level it, which in turn stops light from reflecting all over the show and increased the gloss (shine) of the paint.

This is NOT something you should be doing often...

A wax (or sealant or coating) is a form of protection that offers some UV resistance and acts as a hydrophobic sacrificial barrier. This IS something you should do often to ensure there is always a layer of protection on the car.

So.... what is it your are trying to achieve by wanting a 'polish' - is it to make your car shine?

If so, then correct approach is to decontaminate the car (remove bonded and embedded contaminants like tar, paint overspray, iron deposits, industrial fall out etc) using clay (there are also other methods but for now lets keep it simple), polish the car initially (assuming there is enough clear to do so safely) and from there on out learn to wash and dry correctly so that you do not have to polish often.

The better you wash and dry, the less often you need to polish, the more clear stays on your paint.

I'd suggest having a read through this guide first http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=166322

Then read through this thread as there is loads of great info http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=180689

If you are able to come back with a more clear description of what it is you are trying to achieve (forget what you think the correct product name/description may be), then it may be easier to point you in the right direction :thumbup:
Cornel
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 5 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: 320D

Post by Cornel »

thanks for the info Lawrence. Sub.
Spoilt01
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 8 months
Car Model: CitiRox 1.4i
Membership No: missing

Post by Spoilt01 »

lawrence wrote: A wax (or sealant or coating) is a form of protection that offers some UV resistance and acts as a hydrophobic sacrificial barrier. This IS something you should do often to ensure there is always a layer of protection on the car.

Thanks Lawrence this is exactly what I meant, to protect the paint work and ultimately keep that shine. I have followed many of the posts in terms of drying, washing and what to use (i.e two bucket, microfiber, wash and polish technique)... I haven't yet tried my hand at claying which I would like to, can you advise on products that are not too expensive but decent/worthwhile? To clay the vehicle and then to wax it?

I have the CharChem wash (Ph neutral red in colour) and the Autoglym high gloss which came with the pack I previously purchased (I think its a sealant, clear very watery liquid need to apply after wax and very sparingly). Your advise is really appreciated!

Thanks!
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Post by lawrence »

Spoilt01 wrote:Thanks Lawrence this is exactly what I meant, to protect the paint work
There are an endless supply of products for protection. Each will have its own pros and cons and some will fair better than others in certain areas, and vice versa.

One of the best bang for buck products out there is Collinite 845. About the only 'issue' is you need to apply a THIN coat and wait around 45 min before buffing it off. Other than that its dead easy to use, lasts ages and is cheap.

If you are looking for something similar in terms of performance but easier to use, Menzerna Powerlock - its literally wipe a coat over the whole car (excess application doesn't hinder ease of removal, just wastes product), wait anywhere from 5 to 7 min (or come back the next day if you wanted to) and wipe off - it comes off with no effort at all - the downside to this sealant is you should not get the paint wet for at least 12 hours.

Of course there are so many others that are all 'good' in their own right - the 2 mentioned above are just about the best all rounders I can think of. If neither of the above are something you want to consider, let me know and I can give you some more ideas...
Spoilt01 wrote:and ultimately keep that shine.
Shine comes from level paint.

Things that make the paint 'un-level' are:

Dirt: makes little 'mountains' on the paint - wash off to remove
Contamination: (tar, iron, industrial fall out, overspray etc) makes little 'mountains' which bond to the paint (in the case of iron, it embeds IN the paint) - to remove use iron remover, tar remover, clay
Scratches: These make little 'valleys' in the paint - to remove, sand (be it with sandpaper or polish [which is just liquid sandpaper]) the paint down enough that the surrounding paint is now level with the lowest portion of the scratch

Some waxes may add a little something in terms of looks, but 95%+ of the 'shine' is generated long before you apply a wax, sealant or coating - these may add the other <5% so IMO, it is not worth stressing too much about the 'shine' characteristics of the wax/sealant/coating you apply for protection.
Spoilt01 wrote:I haven't yet tried my hand at claying which I would like to, can you advise on products that are not too expensive but decent/worthwhile? To clay the vehicle and then to wax it?
For the most part, claying is simple enough - you get various 'grades' of clay - i.e. how aggressive/abrasive they are [the more aggressive the quicker it removes contamination but the more it scratches the paint) and will pair that up with a lubrication product, the purpose of which is to provide a slick film over which the clay can glide (in theory without ever touching the actual paint) and when the clay then comes into contact with a piece of protruding contamination, it shaves it off.... rubbing the clay back and forth repeatedly over the surfaces shaves the contamination down to nothing.

Any detailing clay (unless otherwise stated) sold in detailing shops or over-the-counter at retail shops is generally 'medium' grade clay and should only induce the slightest of marring in the paint (marring is a term given to the fine scratches caused by the clay). Heavy duty clay will typically mar a lot - obviously this is all paint dependent, BUT, the general 'rule' is "Don't polish without claying and don't clay without polishing'.

Most of the detailing shops (check out Crazy Detailer, Pristine Detailing, Auto-DNA etc who are all forum sponsors) usually sell a clay 'kit' containing clay and lube - any of those should work fine for you to do a decon. Follow it up with a light polish (even by hand) to remove any marring, protect the paint thereafter and you should be golden.

Shout if there is anything else I can help with :thumbup: