Lamborghini Aventador Roadster - Detailed by Lawrence

This forum is designated for Detailing discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
RIAZ
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 11 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: CitiRox 1.4i 2008 Model
Membership No: 3092

Re: Lamborghini Aventador Roadster - Detailed by Lawrence

Post by RIAZ »

Amazing car and once again amazing work done, The car deserved that kind of love for sure

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
My CitiRox Ridezzz Thread... ... ...
http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=182221
jippo
Lieutenant
Registered for: 10 years 10 months
Car Model: ST

Post by jippo »

K.J wrote:Anybody know why I can't view the pictures when viewing on a computer through the browser?
Your network proxy is blocking image sites.
F30 320d
ex: Focus ST250
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Post by lawrence »

RIAZ wrote:Amazing car and once again amazing work done, The car deserved that kind of love for sure

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Thanks bud
GaVeN
Committee Member
Registered for: 14 years 9 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: A4 B8 Sooter
Membership No: missing

Post by GaVeN »

Quick question, not entirely detailing related...

After spending time cleaning the isht off all the painted panels, and spending a lot of time up close with the different panels, how much of a difference was there in paint colour between the different composites?
(I tried looking, but it's a very angular car, and colour in that lighting makes it impossible to see)
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

GaVeN wrote:Quick question, not entirely detailing related...

After spending time cleaning the isht off all the painted panels, and spending a lot of time up close with the different panels, how much of a difference was there in paint colour between the different composites?
(I tried looking, but it's a very angular car, and colour in that lighting makes it impossible to see)
If I am honest, this was probably one of the best paint jobs I've seen. Yeah sure there were some sanding marks left behind but this is fairly typical on hand painted supercars and is to be expected.... but, in terms of paint thickness, painting 'defects' [such as fish eyes, runs etc], and the color match across various substrates, it was VERY good. I found it practically impossible to find any variance in color across the various substrates - I've seen worse color mismatches between the plastic bumpers and OEM paint on more 'normal' cars.
GaVeN
Committee Member
Registered for: 14 years 9 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: A4 B8 Sooter
Membership No: missing

Post by GaVeN »

lawrence wrote:
GaVeN wrote:Quick question, not entirely detailing related...

If I am honest, this was probably one of the best paint jobs I've seen. Yeah sure there were some sanding marks left behind but this is fairly typical on hand painted supercars and is to be expected.... but, in terms of paint thickness, painting 'defects' [such as fish eyes, runs etc], and the color match across various substrates, it was VERY good. I found it practically impossible to find any variance in color across the various substrates - I've seen worse color mismatches between the plastic bumpers and OEM paint on more 'normal' cars.
Interesting. But, I agree, when even looking at new cars that leave the factory, there are huge colour differences between plastic and metal.

I have watched a few videos on detailing where they battle with getting rids and swirls out of different materials on one car, having to switch product, pads & polishes.
Even seen one where the detailer had to use water (With a tiny bit of wax as lubricant on the pad) to get rid of swirling on aluminium panels.

Just reading & seeing your comments on the imperfections left from the factory, I'd have thought there would be colour difference as well between different composites of panels.

Good job though. Always nerve racking to work on a high end car, but you nailed it
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

There definitely is NOT one approach to correct all paint. As I am sure you understand, the paint across different OEM's varies considerably, from the actual paint used, painting methodologies and curing methods. The end result is paint that is thick and very hard on one end (kind of like this Lamborghini) to thin and soft (mostly Jap stuff) at the other end of the spectrum, and everything in between.

This means every detail is different, and a challenge I quite enjoy.

The 'water' polishing you are referring to was first used by Kevin Brown (Buffdaddy.com) and has subsequently become a fairly common practice among guys like Larry Kosilla from Ammo NYC, Jason Rose (ex Meguiars now Rupes) and a few others, when needed. Essentially when you polish paint, you are sanding off some of it, and this 'residue' or 'debris' (as Larry often refers to it) combined with spent polish residue (i.e. the dried out lubricants and abrasives), lands up scouring the finish. It is for this reason you need to keep cleaning your buffing pads (or switching to a clean one) often during the process.

When you are dealing with very soft paints, the likelihood of this debris re-scouring the paint is high, and so it becomes especially difficult to finish the paint off perfect. By adding a huge amount of water to the polish (typically they use Meguiars M205 which is a fairly mild polish with minimal cut (and therefore less abrasive particles which could clump together to scour the paint), combined with Meguiars MF pads [which increase the effective cut]), you create a larger volume of fluid which can 'disperse' the debris, making it easier to finish off the paint properly.
kingr
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Car Make: VW, Mini, Slowyota
Car Model: Mk1 2 Door, Hilux D/C
Membership No: 3337

Post by kingr »

Great work Lawrence.

Alot has change since the last time I viewed your work. Moving up to supercars I see :grin:

Keep up the great work, consistency is the key & I think you've got that one nailed.
marzbars wrote:Wow, ok be honest, how many times did you start it just to cream yourself?
:lol: :lol:
Kurt #3337

Current:
- 10" Mx5 NC2 (main daily)
- 12" Toyota Hilux D/C 2.5tdi 4x4 (tow car / vacay)
- 2020 Mini Cooper S Clubman (swambo)
- 80" VW Mk1 2 Door Golf 8vt project 192wkw/314nm

Ex: 07" G5 GTi, 13" ST180, 03" Mk4 2 door 1.8T Stage 2, 07" Velo 1.6, 83" Mk1 GT 2.0 8v MP9, 87" Mk1 1.6 CitiSport, 88" Mk2 2.0 16v, 83" Mk1 GT 1.6 + 40 webers
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

kingr wrote:Great work Lawrence.

Alot has change since the last time I viewed your work. Moving up to supercars I see :grin:

Keep up the great work, consistency is the key & I think you've got that one nailed.
marzbars wrote:Wow, ok be honest, how many times did you start it just to cream yourself?
:lol: :lol:
Thanks bud
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

So..... if anyone has 7 bar laying around, its up for sale :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.autotrader.co.za/used-cars/l ... L3NlYXJjaA
dazza
Field Marshal
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Make: VW and VW
Car Model: Amarok and Citi Sport
Membership No: 1327

Post by dazza »

lawrence wrote:So..... if anyone has 7 bar laying around, its up for sale :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.autotrader.co.za/used-cars/l ... L3NlYXJjaA
7 Previous owners :fear:
Darryn Van Rooyen
Current: 17 Amarok V6 D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6
Current: 91 Citi Sport 1.3
Current: 05 Kawasaki 200KDX, 16 KTM 300 EXC
Previous:
14 Amarok BITDI D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
12' MKVI GTI Manual
2009 Audi TT 2.0TFSI S-Tronic
2008 Honda CBX250 Twister - Crashed!