Sepang Blue Audi RS3 - Detailed by Lawrence

This forum is designated for Detailing discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Sepang Blue Audi RS3 - Detailed by Lawrence

Post by lawrence »

I was contacted by the owner of this vehicle who's brother had his RS3 detailed by Mikhail in Cape Town, and she was looking for the same thing for hers. Up until this point, the car had been getting washed at a fairly well known Durban establishment, and so there were obviously a lot of washing/drying induced scratches in the paint which needed to be sorted out, despite the car being still quite new. :cry:

I explained that unless something changed in this regard, I didn't believe it would be worth detailing the car, let alone adding a ceramic coating which she had asked for and so I helped get her set up with all the necessary tools and products she needs to maintain the car herself, and did some one on one training with her to give her the confidence to look after her baby herself from now on - this included doing the first wash of the car (2 weeks post detail) with her.

The detail was completed over 9 days whilst I was on leave in April, with a total of 52 hours of actual work on the car.

First up as always was the engine bay. It gets done first so that any dirty water that happens to splash out on the vehicle will be cleaned off during the wash, meaning you only have to wash the car once, thereby reducing the potential for swirls.

The first thing was to blow out any loose dirt and then seal up any sensitive areas using a combination of tape and plastic bags. The underside of the bonnet was tackled first, so that any dirt or water that fell during the process, would land on a dirty engine bay and not a clean one.

Here are the tools that would be used

Carchem APC @ 1:5 was diluted into the foam master and sprayed onto the surface, left to dwell a bit, then agitated before being pressure rinsed off. The underside of the hood was then hit with Gyeon Wetcoat to provide some protection and making future cleaning easier, and hopefully prevent some of these water spots from re-occuring

Before

during

After

The bay itself was then tackled using the same process, and as you can see there was a fair amount of dirt inside.

Once cleaned and rinsed it was hit with a blower to remove any standing water, before being sprayed down with Carpro PERL diluted at 1:3. This was left to sit overnight and any excess wiped off the following day. There are some 'after' pics of the engine bay included at the end of this write up.

The number plates were then removed to allow them to be cleaned properly, and for the holders to get a light polish, and to allow better access to the underlying and surrounding paint for correction

Later in the detail these were given a quick polish as they really were in a bad state

The fender liners were pressure rinsed, sprayed with some Carchem APC @1:5 which was left to dwell before being agitated with various brushes and pressure rinsed again.

Then the tyres were tackled

Before

Carchem APC @1:5 sprayed on

Image[/url]

Left to dwell a bit

Image[/url]

Scrubbed and busy rinsing

Wheels were then cleaned with Carlack Shampoo to remove any topical dirt and then hit with Carchem Revolt.

Then some Carpro Tar-x

And finally they were clean

The wheels and tyres would later be wiped down twice with Gyeon Prep before being coated with 2 coats of Gyeon Rim and Gyeon Tyre respectively, each applied 1 hour apart.

Then it was time to get the car washed and decontaminated and as you can see there was a fair amount of dirt on the paint

Carchem APC @1:5 via the Gloria Foam Master and various brushes were used to tackle those areas which tend to be over-looked by commercial type car washes allowing dirt to build up in these harder to reach areas over time. Places like the honeycomb, inside the fuel flap, inside the door and boot shuts, in and around badges/emblems and the mirror housings (with the mirrors folded in) are but a few more common areas I come across

Then the entire car was pressure rinsed and a layer of Angelwax Fast Foam applied

This was left to dwell before being pressure rinsed off. Then the car was washed using Carchem Luxury Shampoo along with a few lambswool wash mitts

Decontamination consisted of Carchem Revolt to tackle the embedded iron deposits, Carpro Tar-X to tackle the tar and Gyeon Clay and Gyeon Clay Lube to take care of any of the remaining contaminants

With the paint now 'bare' it was time to assess its actual condition, which as you can see, was not pretty.

Approximately 300 readings were taking of the paint at various places across the vehicle which indicated an average of 130µ with a couple of small areas measuring as low as 83µ to 90µ. After trying out a few different combinations I found the paint to be relatively soft on this car, which is not inline with the previous 5 RS3's I have detailed and just proves how important it is not to make assumptions or generalizations about paint hardness, and to conduct test spots on every car in order to dial in the least aggressive method to get the job done.

My approach was an initial cut with Menzerna PF2300 on Orange Lake Country Hybrid pads, followed by Capro Essence on White Lake Country Hybrid Pads. There were some isolated areas (like the deeper scratches on the bonnet) which were spot compounded using Menzerna SHC300 on a Lake Country Blue Foamed Wool pad before the aforementioned cut and polish took place.

Here are a few 'during' pictures of the correction process.

Some deep scratches on the bonnet

Another on the passenger side front fender in a rather awkward spot

A nasty scratch on the rear bumper which was improved, but not removed completely

Once the paint was corrected it was wiped down using Gyeon Prep and coated with 2 coats of Gyeon Mohs, 1 hour apart. This was then followed with a layer of Gyeon Cure which is designed to protect the coating from waterspots whilst it cures. The door shuts and boot shut were also protected with Cure.

The exhaust tips were then given a polish using Mothers Mag and Aluminium Polish.

Before

After

The rubber trim was the cleaned initially using Shield Heavy Duty Rubber cleaner, followed by 2 wipe downs using Gyeon Prep and then coated using Gyeon Trim

Before

After cleaning

After coating

All of the remaining black exterior trim was then coated with Gyeon Trim - this included the honeycomb, gloss black pillars, diffuser, wiper cowel, wiper arms, head lights and tail lights and side mirrors.

All exterior glass was then cleaned using Autoglym Fast Glass then prepped and coated with 2 coats of Gyeon View

Lastly the interior was sorted out.

Interior plastics : Carchem APC @1:20 / Various brushes and towels / Optimum Optiseal

Interior carpet : Vacuum / Brush / Vacuum

Interior Mats : Carchem APC @1:20 / Various brushes and towels

Interior leather : Carchem APC @1:20 / Gyeon Leather Coat

Pedals : Carchem APC @1:20 / Various brushes and towels

Here are some pictures of the completed car.

And lastly my favorite shot

As always thanks for looking and any questions or comments are welcome.

:hi:
LostEnigma
Captain
Registered for: 10 years 11 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: S3 8L
Membership No: 3207

Re: Sepang Blue Audi RS3 - Detailed by Lawrence

Post by LostEnigma »

There should be an automatic response button for you write ups..

"Killed it"

Really insane work sir!
Current:

2003 Mexico Blue Audi S3 8L 280.7 WKW - 424NM - Bagged by FS Projects, YT Revision & Only Charged Dubs - ISPIRI WHEELS FTW

Ex:

2013 VW Candy White Polo Vivo GT - SOLD
1997 VW White Chico Golf - SOLD
DINODENASH
Lieutenant
Registered for: 16 years
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: BMW e46 Individual
Membership No: missing

Post by DINODENASH »

Flippp that's insane man !!!
Your skills and love for detailing amazes me !
Legend !
Bash
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Car Model: .:

Post by Bash »

Awesome work Lawrence! Thats my sisters car. She is stoked with the work done! I'm shocked that it was in such a state.
Now : '16 8v RS3
: '07 8p S3
Ex : '12 .:R
: '99 GTI 20v
Ex : '92 CTi
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

LostEnigma wrote:There should be an automatic response button for you write ups..

"Killed it"

Really insane work sir!
Thanks Jason :hug:
DINODENASH wrote:Flippp that's insane man !!!
Legend !
Thanks Dino - appreciate the kind words
Bash wrote:Awesome work Lawrence! Thats my sisters car. She is stoked with the work done! I'm shocked that it was in such a state.
Glad she is happy - :grin: I showed your sister and dad just how easily modern clear coats can scratch, by taking a perfectly polished section of my practice bonnet (a black BMW bonnet) and rubbing a little bit of dirt over it, and when you see how easily this happens, its really not hard to understand why someone who is being paid peanuts (and probably has been given no actual skills on how to wash safely) just doesn't give a toss and lands up inflicting so much damage into the car. Its sad, but accepted as 'normal', as the general population simply knows no better.

Its why I am so passionate about trying to educate anyone who will listen - cars don't have to have a bunch of ugly swirls in them, and as she saw this past weekend during the first wash, the maintenance yourself doesn't need to be rocket science or time consuming.
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace

Post by amstel18 »

lawrence wrote:
LostEnigma wrote:There should be an automatic response button for you write ups..

"Killed it"

Really insane work sir!
Thanks Jason :hug:
DINODENASH wrote:Flippp that's insane man !!!
Legend !
Thanks Dino - appreciate the kind words
Bash wrote:Awesome work Lawrence! Thats my sisters car. She is stoked with the work done! I'm shocked that it was in such a state.
Glad she is happy - :grin: I showed your sister and dad just how easily modern clear coats can scratch, by taking a perfectly polished section of my practice bonnet (a black BMW bonnet) and rubbing a little bit of dirt over it, and when you see how easily this happens, its really not hard to understand why someone who is being paid peanuts (and probably has been given no actual skills on how to wash safely) just doesn't give a toss and lands up inflicting so much damage into the car. Its sad, but accepted as 'normal', as the general population simply knows no better.

Its why I am so passionate about trying to educate anyone who will listen - cars don't have to have a bunch of ugly swirls in them, and as she saw this past weekend during the first wash, the maintenance yourself doesn't need to be rocket science or time consuming.
Love your work lawrence. And that on one of my absolute favourite cars/colours

Any chance of you doing a educational video for us on a tutorial for a proper maintenance wash? Would be keen to see someone local do it.

I've watched plenty video's from Larry from Ammo NYC and the like, but would be cool for a local one...

Just a thought :hi:
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

amstel18 wrote:Love your work lawrence. And that on one of my absolute favourite cars/colours

Any chance of you doing a educational video for us on a tutorial for a proper maintenance wash? Would be keen to see someone local do it.

I've watched plenty video's from Larry from Ammo NYC and the like, but would be cool for a local one...

Just a thought :hi:
Thanks bud

I'll see what I can do about a video :thumbup:
PöLö1.4...
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 11 months
Car Model: Polo Playa

Post by PöLö1.4... »

Amazing work!! The paint condition was pretty horrific :fear: but glad it got into your hands. You just saved an RS3 :hurray:
Naads
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Naads »

So happy with the results :cool:
And look forward to taking care of my baby with extra TLC
Kuvi
Lieutenant
Registered for: 13 years 10 months
Membership No: 2101

Post by Kuvi »

Awesome work bud. on another level!
UZZIGTIBT
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by UZZIGTIBT »

AWESOME BUD
NOW THAT WAS SOME SERIOUS DETAILING TIME TAKEN
THAT COLOUR IS AWESOME
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 14 years
Car Model: Passat B8

Post by Belix »

Great stuff Mr L. Must be so rewarding to see the changes you effect.
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

PöLö1.4... wrote:Amazing work!! The paint condition was pretty horrific :fear: but glad it got into your hands. You just saved an RS3 :hurray:
Thank you!
Naads wrote:So happy with the results :cool:
And look forward to taking care of my baby with extra TLC

:hi: So glad you are happy with the detail but I am even more glad that you have invested in the necessary tools and products, and that you now have the desire maintain the car yourself going forward - this is truly where the benefit will be to the car. Please don't forget to shout with ANY questions :thumbup:
Kuvi-VPS wrote:Awesome work bud. on another level!
Thanks Kuvi :hug:
UZZIGTIBT wrote:AWESOME BUD
NOW THAT WAS SOME SERIOUS DETAILING TIME TAKEN
THAT COLOUR IS AWESOME
Thanks. Yeah anyone who has actually been through the process of detailing a car (more so in terms of getting a bad one good again) will know that there simply isn't a way to do a proper job quickly. Quality work just takes time and that's why there is such a difference in the price a quality detailer will charge compared to the local corner car wash's 'polish'.
cli 16v
Lieutenant
Registered for: 16 years 6 months
Car Make: Mazda
Car Model: CX5

Post by cli 16v »

Awesome work as always! The average Joe doesn't give a toss about cleaning their car properly (taking care of their "asset"). When I try and tell people about how to wash a car properly and use the right even basic products all I hear is, "that's time consuming and costs so much, I can go to the car wash for R80".

Then my wife says, thats why their car has so many scratches :lol:
Ex:
13' Audi A4 B8.5 1.8T SE - OEM+
'15 MKVII GTi
'07 MKV GTi OEM+
'89 MKII Golf CSL OEM
'97 MKIII GTi Exec
'92 MKII Jetta CLi 2.0 16v Exec
Kyle
General
Registered for: 11 years
Car Make: Porsche
Car Model: Adidas TYP 64
Membership No: 1922

Post by Kyle »

Looks amazing bud, well done on always pushing yourself to achieve a better overall result.
Current:
'03 BMW E46 330i Individual

Ex:
'06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon
'03 S3 8L
'11 A3 1.6TDi
'70 VW Beetle 1600 Twin Port
'00 A4 2.4 V6,
'09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T,
2013 Vivo Gran Turismo,
E36 M3 Coupe,
E46 320i Individual MSport,
'98 Civic V Tec,
E36 318is Msport,
E30 318i Coupe,
GOLF MK1 GT

Why make things easy for yourself when you can make them incredibly difficult and complicated.
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

cli 16v wrote:Awesome work as always! The average Joe doesn't give a toss about cleaning their car properly (taking care of their "asset"). When I try and tell people about how to wash a car properly and use the right even basic products all I hear is, "that's time consuming and costs so much, I can go to the car wash for R80".

Thanks bud. Yeah unfortunately for the masses a car is (understandably) just a thing that gets them from A to B and there is no real 'love' for it. The corner car wash is all a car owner like that ever needs or will ever be prepared to pay for.

If however you have a car that is a) worth some money [no disrespect to guys with cheaper cars] or b) you VALUE [for whatever reasons], then you really shouldn't be taking it to the car wash and should be looking after it yourself or paying someone who knows what they are doing, to look after it for you.

The part the really messes with my head is where you have someone who is supposedly a 'car guy', who doesn't see their vehicle as only an appliance and is willing to throw thousands at rims, or software, or a new exhaust or a laarnie oil cap, but still wants pay the local car wash to scratch the snot out of his car, because he is too lazy to clean it himself.

The classic illustration of this phenomena is in almost every speed and sound mag I've ever looked at - there will be a some 'show' car or featured ride which will be covered in swirls or buffer trails, proudly displayed on them glossy pages for the world to see, and nobody gives it a 2nd thought - its the accepted norm :bang:
Kyle wrote:Looks amazing bud, well done on always pushing yourself to achieve a better overall result.
Thanks Kyle :hug:
Kyle
General

Post by Kyle »

lawrence wrote:
cli 16v wrote:Awesome work as always! The average Joe doesn't give a toss about cleaning their car properly (taking care of their "asset"). When I try and tell people about how to wash a car properly and use the right even basic products all I hear is, "that's time consuming and costs so much, I can go to the car wash for R80".

Thanks bud. Yeah unfortunately for the masses a car is (understandably) just a thing that gets them from A to B and there is no real 'love' for it. The corner car wash is all a car owner like that ever needs or will ever be prepared to pay for.

If however you have a car that is a) worth some money [no disrespect to guys with cheaper cars] or b) you VALUE [for whatever reasons], then you really shouldn't be taking it to the car wash and should be looking after it yourself or paying someone who knows what they are doing, to look after it for you.

The part the really messes with my head is where you have someone who is supposedly a 'car guy', who doesn't see their vehicle as only an appliance and is willing to throw thousands at rims, or software, or a new exhaust or a laarnie oil cap, but still wants pay the local car wash to scratch the snot out of his car, because he is too lazy to clean it himself.

The classic illustration of this phenomena is in almost every speed and sound mag I've ever looked at - there will be a some 'show' car or featured ride which will be covered in swirls or buffer trails, proudly displayed on them glossy pages for the world to see, and nobody gives it a 2nd thought - its the accepted norm :bang:
:iagree:
Current:

Ex:
'06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon
'03 S3 8L
'11 A3 1.6TDi
'00 A4 2.4 V6,
'09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T,
2013 Vivo Gran Turismo,
E36 M3 Coupe,
'98 Civic V Tec,
E36 318is Msport,
E30 318i Coupe,
GOLF MK1 GT

Why make things easy for yourself when you can make them incredibly difficult and complicated.
Rsi huntered
Captain
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by Rsi huntered »

Sweet baby Jesus :crazy: :crazy: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That car was really fokked from that car wash :eek: :eek:

What a Save Lawrence :troll: :troll: :troll: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: I was actually starting to miss the good read ups on the details recently :grin:

This is what I don't understand...... cause the extra 7/10mins for the pre-wash and foam withyou doing absolutely NOTHING and just watching it soak and then just adding another bucket of water to dip in take minimal time..... and people think that its so much extra work :bang: :bang:

I have the policy...... even if I don't wash the car for 4 weeks I will NOT take it to a car wash and wait till I have time....
Golf 6 Ed. 35 - 2013 (FR&R Tuned)
Tiguan 2018 R-Line :evil:
Polo 6C Ex
2004 Golf 1 Baby 1.4i +VAT :evil: 76.3 WHP@K.A.R
Polo 2008(9n3)Ex:-(
Golf 1(2 door)branch,exhaust,domingo's,leather seats,electric windows, 2.0L 16v ( sold ) :cry: Ex.
Golf 2 2L 16v full house(RIP) :bang: Ex
Jetta 2 1.8 16v full house(sold) Ex
Rsi huntered
Captain
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by Rsi huntered »

Sweet baby Jesus :crazy: :crazy: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a Save Lawrence :troll: :troll: :troll: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: I was actually starting to miss the good read ups on the details recently :grin:

This is what I don't understand...... cause the extra 7/10mins for the pre-wash and foam withyou doing absolutely NOTHING and just watching it soak and then just adding another bucket of water to dip in take minimal time..... and people think that its so much extra work :bang: :bang:

I have the policy...... even if I don't wash the car for 4 weeks I will NOT take it to a car wash and wait till I have time....
Golf 6 Ed. 35 - 2013 (FR&R Tuned)
Tiguan 2018 R-Line :evil:
Polo 6C Ex
2004 Golf 1 Baby 1.4i +VAT :evil: 76.3 WHP@K.A.R
Polo 2008(9n3)Ex:-(
Golf 1(2 door)branch,exhaust,domingo's,leather seats,electric windows, 2.0L 16v ( sold ) :cry: Ex.
Golf 2 2L 16v full house(RIP) :bang: Ex
Jetta 2 1.8 16v full house(sold) Ex
CitiTec
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 5 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: 03 Mk4 3dr

Post by CitiTec »

Great work as always!
Current
2003 Tornado Red Mk4 Golf 3door
Ex:
1983 White Mk1 Golf GT
2002 Blue Anthracite 1.4i Citi Golf
IF YOU WANT TO SUCCEED IN MOTOR RACING.TAKE UP GOLF.
Kyle
General

Post by Kyle »

Rsi huntered wrote:Sweet baby Jesus :crazy: :crazy: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not even foam... just 2bm, or even just using proper tools to start with
Current:

Ex:
'06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon
'03 S3 8L
'11 A3 1.6TDi
'00 A4 2.4 V6,
'09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T,
2013 Vivo Gran Turismo,
E36 M3 Coupe,
'98 Civic V Tec,
E36 318is Msport,
E30 318i Coupe,
GOLF MK1 GT

Delokes
Lieutenant
Registered for: 11 years 8 months
Car Make: Vw , Bmw
Car Model: Mk1 CTi Turbo , 318ti

Post by Delokes »

JURRRRR
Lawrence you are my hero bud ... great work sir
Golf Mk1 CTi 2.0 8vTurbo :driving:
Motor Sold 210whp 306nm @ 0.6 bar

AGU 20v Turbo Under Construction
4ePikanini
Lieutenant
Registered for: 14 years 8 months
Car Model: Touareg R5

Post by 4ePikanini »

Wow. Outstanding!
My Touareg Build
2005 Touareg R5 Air & Bi-Xenon
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

I know that every-time i open a detail thread by you i must decent to read through the post properly because i don't get dissapointed by it.

You have transformed this car Lawrence, it looks so new and fresh.
Epic work bro :hurray: :hurray: :thumbup:
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Rsi huntered wrote:Sweet baby Jesus :crazy: :crazy: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks bud
Delokes wrote:JURRRRR
Lawrence you are my hero bud ... great work sir
Thanks for your kind words bud :hug:
4ePikanini wrote:Wow. Outstanding!
Thank you
Unobeat wrote:I know that every-time i open a detail thread by you i must decent to read through the post properly because i don't get dissapointed by it.

You have transformed this car Lawrence, it looks so new and fresh.
Epic work bro :hurray: :hurray: :thumbup:
Thank you