Management Systems: What you should know

Forum for questions that are asked on a frequent basis...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting on the VWCSA Forum as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

VWCSA Forum Posting Rules and Guidelines
BlueBlob
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months

Re: Management Systems: What you should know

Post by BlueBlob »

andredp wrote:
BlueBlob wrote:
OcTaLL wrote:What's the main differences between the Perfect Power XMS-4 A, B and C?
Number of drivers, as far as I know. And the A is only for 4cyl.
Nope, XMS4B has got all the functionality of the "A" version, plus built-in support for a wideband lambda probe. XMS4C has all of this plus support for electronic throttle control, ie "drive by wire".

the number of drivers is the -2 for 2 ign & 2inj & 2 optional outputs, -4 is 4 of all and -8 is 8 of all.

the "A" at the end on some of them, is the units with built in AMP sensors.
Pffft.

I was close. :lol:
OcTaLL
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK3 GTI 8v
Membership No: 1654

Post by OcTaLL »

I read the specs on the PP website, seems that the "B" would be better than the "A" seeing that I want to in the future do some more mods.
The "A" would also work just fine but if I so wish to do some serious mods, I will have to upgrade the ECU again.
As far as I can see I can use the "B" on a VR6 as well if I should wish to go that route.

As the Mk3 does not have a fly by wire throttle it will be useless getting the "C"? Is that the only difference between the "C" and "B"?

What is the "setpoints" they talk about? I'm not clued up on the smaller technical issues on these things, that's why I ask. I don;t want to buy something and later find I should've bought something else.

I will definately get a PP system, now just which 1. :???:
Past rides:
Renault Clio III
'93 VW GTi 2.0 8v
'04 VW Golf Life 1.6i
'96 Corsa 1.3IE
'93 Uno Pacer SX 1400
'91 Uno Fire 1100
'78 VW Beetle 1600SP
andredp
Cadet
Registered for: 21 years 6 months

Post by andredp »

Jip, B would be better for you if a VR is a maybe in your future :) To be honest, for the small difference in price, I would just get the C. Then if you in future find a nice MK4 GTi engine, you have the option ;)

The C also has some logging options the A and B doesn't have, as mentioned on the website, but this might not be of importance for you.

Setpoints is the "Config points" in the software you set to control optional outputs, revlimiters etc. Nice thing to run VVT, shiftlights, control fans, water injection, basically whatever one can imagine :)

Get the XMS4C-8AKT - specify the 3 bar AMP sensor if you ever may run turbo. Goes for R 3087.85 incl VAT
If you need an ignition amplifier also, get the XMS4C-8AKTB, which includes a powerfull 2 channel ignition amp at R 3881.63

For comparison, the XMS4B-4AKT goes for R 2670.37, so for just R400 more you can get the top of the line system.
Driving: 2006 Jetta 2.0 TDi Sportline
Upgrading: Lotus 7 replica - http://www.locostformula.co.za :D
Racing: Lotus 7 replica racecar - Ford bakkie engine with plastic inlet manifold ;)
Ex: Driving: 2001 Caddy Club, Citi Sonic, MKI 2 Door - 2L with ITBs tamed by PRS2, Toyo Corolla, MKIII Jet CLi, MKII Csl 1600, then 1800, then ..., MKII Gti 8V
OcTaLL
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 11 months
Car Model: MK3 GTI 8v
Membership No: 1654

Post by OcTaLL »

andredp wrote:Jip, B would be better for you if a VR is a maybe in your future :) To be honest, for the small difference in price, I would just get the C. Then if you in future find a nice MK4 GTi engine, you have the option ;)

The C also has some logging options the A and B doesn't have, as mentioned on the website, but this might not be of importance for you.

Setpoints is the "Config points" in the software you set to control optional outputs, revlimiters etc. Nice thing to run VVT, shiftlights, control fans, water injection, basically whatever one can imagine :)

Get the XMS4C-8AKT - specify the 3 bar AMP sensor if you ever may run turbo. Goes for R 3087.85 incl VAT
If you need an ignition amplifier also, get the XMS4C-8AKTB, which includes a powerfull 2 channel ignition amp at R 3881.63

For comparison, the XMS4B-4AKT goes for R 2670.37, so for just R400 more you can get the top of the line system.
thanks for the advice. I didnt know the mk4 has fly by wire. That was also 1 of my thoughts going that route. Its true about the 'C', it does give you alot more flexibility. Can it be used on a car that doesn't have fly by wire though? So in the 'C' series, are there more different models? You speak about the 8AKTB and 8AKT. Has the 8AKTB have the ignitition module built in and the 8AKT not?
Past rides:
Renault Clio III
'93 VW GTi 2.0 8v
'04 VW Golf Life 1.6i
'96 Corsa 1.3IE
'93 Uno Pacer SX 1400
'91 Uno Fire 1100
'78 VW Beetle 1600SP
sjs
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 1 month
Car Model: Citi & Megane RS 275 Final
Membership No: 1315

Post by sjs »

To help those looking into aftermarket management. I found this on the Gotech website:
Regarding cold starting:
"4 June 2007, Gotech Mini X and PRO X firmware upgrade to v3. This upgrade adds a temperature related idle map and a new load input setting. Cold start idle control has never been better!"

Regarding the TPS and MAP at the same time, the ECU is capable . I just run the MAP sensor on my setup. To hook up the TPS on a mp9 throttle body you connect pin 4 (neg), 5 (signal) and 7 (pos). They say in the installation manual that: " if the vehicle is equiped with high duration camshafts then a TPS is required ... the TPS is not a critical element of the input sensors and can be substituted with the built in MAP sensor. On turbo or super charged vehicles using forced induction it is recommended to run the MAP sensor as primary input." Hope that helps.
My play: my 2l ABF + throttles Citi toy and Megane RS 275 Finale
GTI2VW
Enlisted
Registered for: 14 years 9 months
Car Model: Polo 2.0 8v
Membership No: missing

Post by GTI2VW »

Hi Guys

This is what im about to do:

Im replacing my 1800 8v engine with a complete 2E 2.0lt 8v (GOLF2GTI)
im going to be keeping the same gearbox
Im going to be installing a dictator management system those are the only changes im making.
Do you guy's think its a good idea????? :driving:
Please recommend any additions or changes that i should make. :crazy:

Thank you
GTI2VW
Current Polo 2.0 8v
Stolen 2.0 8v Golf 2 GTI
maranou
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by maranou »

GTP-CADDYclub wrote:That is true, Domingos is a oupa system. Guess i'll need to wait another month or 2 till i have the money to buy a proper system. Since you need Dos to tune the system not sure if any tuner still runs a PC using Dos. What is a reasonable price to pay for someone to INSTALL a management system on a Golf 1 16v with ITB's ?
Boet i still have it in my car 2l16v turbo and i can get you the f200 windows file and it runs in windows or just send gotech a email and they will mail it too you.F200 Looks the same as the gotech mfi program they tune it with and mace said he can tune my car if the manegement still works and the program can pick it up.I still need to finish/start my car
http://www.vwclub.co.za/phpbb3/viewtopi ... 11&t=72987
With good advice and bad spelling.
Golf 2l16vT 320kw 520nm
1/4mile @ 12.2 kilarney 2011
800m @ 233km/h
GTP-CADDYclub
Enlisted
Registered for: 14 years 10 months
Car Model: Velo - abf n some spice

Post by GTP-CADDYclub »

Please Please Please send me the file or the link to download it please.
Is that Mase in Tokai?

That will save me lots of money and time Thanks

rvanmerch@gmail.com
1st , 2nd , 3rd , 4th & the 400 in done
pieter1
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Model: MK2 GTS - ABF 16v

Post by pieter1 »

I plan to transplant an ABF 16v longblock 2l into my 1800 GTS. I find the feedback very interesting, but have to decide on a suitable management system. Some say Dictator, other say Gotech or PP. I can get a Gotech std at R1300, will this work or should I spend a bit more and go for the newer versions of any of the named brands?. I do not plan to go turbo in the near future and will use it mainly for commuting.

What will be the best on the ABF with standard inlets and cams, (Imported engine)
Umphufu
Lieutenant
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Umphufu »

any views and opinions on the Uni-Q system?
My other ride is your Mom...

CURRENT - 2004 MK4 GTI .:R - Garret GT3071R with Tial Vband Turbine housing, Pagparts casted stainless steel vband manifold, 76mm exhaust vbanded, 350hp intercooler and 63mm piping all round, Tial MVS 38mm vband wastegate

EX: 2000 MK4 GTI - SAC Conversion
EX: 1992 CITI 1.3
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

It's a piggyback, not a management.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI