Unit RNS510

This forum is designated for In Car Entertainment discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
Keanublack
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK7 Golf R
Membership No: missing

Unit RNS510

Post by Keanublack »

Hi guys,
I have decided to get rid of my boring original head unit and replace it with the RNS 510 unit. I have searched all over and was unable to get one here in SA except buying one new from a dealership, which is too expensive for my liking...
My brother is in Germany till the end of the year, so I thought that he could buy me the unit there for me or I could buy it on ebay.uk/de but I have a few questions if anyone might know:
1] is this really a good unit?
2] will it work in my 2006 Golf 5...fit perfectly like the original one did? does it use garmin maps & do i need any additional hardware to make the satnav work?
3] does anyone know of someone selling one locally at a good price, a good second hand one will do also...
4] i see there are different ?versions available...A,B, & C...what does that mean?
5] is the Zenec ZE-NC2010 unit available in SA yet? has anyone bought this unit and is it worth it...
6] i have seen all these other "VW" units on places like StopShop and they are like R5000-R6000, but I get the impression that these are those cheep chinese makes...anyone agree?

I'm looking at not spending more that R10000 for a good unit...I want something that will fit in perfectly and looks as OEM as possible with which I can use my iPod...I have finalised it to the Zenec ZE-NC2010 or the RNS510....any suggestions?

thanks
Current: 2016 Golf 7 R
Ex: 2006 Golf 5 2.0 FSI Sportline

"Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along...Tell me who wants to look back on their youth and wonder where those years have gone?"
johnjm
Prince of Darkness
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Re: Unit RNS510

Post by johnjm »

You will need an OEM VW Map DVD to use with it - it also works with BMW professional maps as well. Note the word professional, NOT the "business" navs. better than Garmin IMO. Getting hold of one of these is easy from rapidshare.

1. Excelllent unit, no reason to go aftermarket seeing that OEM is this good. There is even a hack (button sequence) that will activate video in motion.
2. It will work in your golf, however seeing that it is a 2006 model that earlier version of canbus will cause battery draining issues. You will need to update the canbus beforehand. Despite this, I would still go ahead.
3. No one sells these except for dealers and the price is nuts - secondhand is the only option and only from ebay. I did find one locally but sold it as it was a Version A that did not work with my steering wheel button controls.
4. The versions are just firmware updates and obviously C is newer than B. However these are upgraded to C with the firmware updates that you can download. Mine was orginally a B version which is now a C version with support for 32GB SD cards - however SDHC wont work on an A version as it has an older SD reader. Versions are important for specific cars, for eg only Version B and up works on the sciorcco and Golf 6 - new cars are introduced and VW updates the firmware so its compatible with MFSW and MFDs.
5. No idea about this.
6. If you dont have MFWS and MFD compatibaiolity requirements then dont go OEM and go for a cheapie from stopshop. The issue with these is that interface is rubbish, its slow and not that nice in general. For nearly the same price you can get a Version A RNS which should work in your car.

Ebay guys are jacked and will ship no problem. Search for Daiman69 IIRC as I bought my last unit from him tis month (was an RCD510 but you can get RNS from him as well).

Edit

To use your ipod you will have to fork out additional cash for an adapter or even better, the MDI interface IIRC, which also takes USB and HDDs.

I think you should buy the RCD310 unit that I have and get the MDI interface. R2400 for my unit, brand new.
Keanublack
Cadet

I Got My RNS510 Unit

Post by Keanublack »

Update: Thanks you JohnJM for the advice...

After much thought I decided to go with the RNS510 and got a near new one from eBay.uk...The seller came recommended by a VWClub member and it was a pleasure dealing with him...My package [RNS510 Unit version B, GPS antenna, unlock code and manual] arrived on Thursday.

So after more research I realized that this isn't just going to be plug and play for me :( As JohnJM said in his earlier, because of my CanBus module, the unit will work in my car but will drain my battery if i don't change the module. This i confirmed on various forums in both the US and UK. My cars unit is 1K0 907 530 version F and the unit needs atleast a "L" version or later. At my local dealership the "S" version is R3230, sies :evil: Oh, and it also have to be recoded with VagCom :(

:crazy: any suggestions as to :
1] Anyone know where I can get a later module for this unit? I saw a new one on eBay.uk for 90 Euro [including shipping] (approx. R950) but the version is AD...will it work on my car? I guess a second hand one will also have to do cause on later Golf5's, post 2008 models, the CanBus modules already fine and don't need updating..so i might get one in a scap yard i guess???
2] If i finally manage to get my hands on one, who can do the VagCom thing for me?
3] Where do I find this CanBus module in the car? some forums say the driver's footwell...anyone ever take out out?

thanks guys

"Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along...Tell me who wants to look back on their youth and wonder where those years have gone?"
Awesum
Lieutenant
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Car Model: Tiguan
Membership No: 999

Post by Awesum »

Howzit bru,

How much did you pay for the RNS510? Let me know if you want to sell it.

I can help with a VAG com.
2019 Tiguan 2.0TDI, R-Line
2019 Polo GTI

Ex 2013 Tiguan 2.0TDI
Ex 2016 Golf VII R, DSG
Ex 2015 Polo 6C GTI, DSG, Pure White
Ex 2014 Golf VII GTI, DSG, Tornado red
Ex 2010 Scirocco 2.0TSi, DSG; Candy White; Revo, 20" RS6 wheels; Coiled looow.
Ex 2010 Golf VI GTI Dsg, Tornado Red, 19's, Revo 2
Ex 2008 Golf V GTI DSG, Riding on 19"s
Ex 2007 Golf V GTI DSG
Ex 2002 Golf IV GTI
Ex 1991 Golf II GTi 2.0 16V
Ex 1991 Jetta II CLi 1.8 8V Exec
magsta
Porra Love
Registered for: 15 years 7 months
Car Make: Tesla
Car Model: Model 3
Membership No: 1372

Post by magsta »

Beautiful Radio.... Keanu.
Hope you get it sorted...

P.s. if you go scrap yard hunting, let me know, i wanna come with....
ImageImage
Membership No. 1372
Current:
2021 Tesla Model 3
Past:
Seat Leon FR Sport (190)
VW CC 2.0 TDI Bluemotion GT
Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDI (140)
Golf MK7 1.6 TDI Bluemotion
Golf MKV 4Dr Comfortline.
johnjm
Prince of Darkness

Post by johnjm »

Scrapyard would be the easiest and cheapest. Its located under the footwell IIRC and you can confirm from the visible part numbers. which seller did you use? how much?
Keanublack
Cadet

Can Bus Gateway

Post by Keanublack »

So today I knocked off early at work and decided to visit a few scrapyards to see if I can find this stupid gateway I need to change before I can install my RNS510 :) I ended up at Bishop's in Edenvale and after a bit of searching I found one. I bought it for R650 (with the option to return it if it doesn't work in my car obviously)...Here's the picture below of the gateway:

Question: This gateway above was taken out of a 2008 2.0 FSI Audi A3, but the part number is the same as the one I was looking for, at least a version L..
Will this work in my car? Are all these spares for VW & Audi the same...?

This is a picture of the latest one that VW is selling, version S, for R3200 :evil:

any ideas? suggestions?

much appreciated :)

Awesum
Lieutenant

Post by Awesum »

The S is obviously the upgraded version from the L.
I hope it works bru.
Normally VW & Audi have the same parts. The only way to know for sure is to try it out.
What version do u currently have on your car?
Where is he module situated? Maybe I can check mine before the car goes today.
2019 Polo GTI

Ex 2013 Tiguan 2.0TDI
Ex 2016 Golf VII R, DSG
Ex 2007 Golf V GTI DSG
Ex 2002 Golf IV GTI
Keanublack
Cadet

Post by Keanublack »

What version do u currently have on your car?
Where is he module situated? Maybe I can check mine before the car goes today.
Hey, sorry for the late reply...work has been kinda hectic this past week :crazy:

I went to VW The Glen, gave them my VIN number, the guy checked on their system and said that my car has the "F" version in...so my battery will still drain if i dont change it...

When i looked thru the different forums, the say that the thing is located above the foot rest in the drivers footwell in RHD cars...thats where I was busy looking till this rain interrupted me :cry: I cant wait to get into my new place with a double garage :)

Keanublack
Cadet

Can Bus Gateway

Post by Keanublack »

Found it!!! :grin:

Its immediately above the clutch pedal...I removed the black covering that has the footwell light in it, then after a few peeps with a penlight I found the thing!!!
I will have to remove these two panels marked 1 & 2, I think, to get to it? Anyone knows how to? Let me try and see if i can :smile:

PS: Excuse me ugly steering wheel, it too will have to go soon :grin:

Update: So I managed to remove those two panels but this canbus gateway is really in a very awkward place and I'm not sure if I'll be able to reach & replace it....

Below: Panel 1 removed, the space is so tight I don't think I will be able to take it out :sad:

The stupid thing...it has a red plug plugged into it...

Will finish up tomorrow...its late and it tired me out :crazy: I will decide tomorrow what I'm gonna do...anybody ever removed one? I need help I know!!!

Keanublack
Cadet

Post by Keanublack »

UPDATE: Since I was struggled to get to the canbus gateway by myself, I drove up to VW Hatfield in Bryanston, spoke to my man Mzwaki and asked them to install and code the gateway for me :( I'm booking the car in on Friday and hopefully I will be able to install the unit this weekend :)

Awesum
Lieutenant

Post by Awesum »

Let me know if you need any help.
2019 Polo GTI

Ex 2013 Tiguan 2.0TDI
Ex 2016 Golf VII R, DSG
Ex 2007 Golf V GTI DSG
Ex 2002 Golf IV GTI
magsta
Porra Love

Post by magsta »

and and and?
ImageImage
Membership No. 1372
Current:
2021 Tesla Model 3
Past:
Seat Leon FR Sport (190)
pocketpower
Enlisted
Registered for: 14 years

Post by pocketpower »

Keanu,

where do i find the model number of the unit?i also purchased one 2nd hand recently,and i am in the process of having it fitted.
was not aware of the CanBus situation though.how do i know what is required for my headunit?
Keanublack
Cadet

Update: RNS510 finally fitted & its awesome

Post by Keanublack »

and and and and?
hehehe, ok Magsta, here is finally an update of what i did so far. Taking my car to VW Hatfield was a total waste of time cause the didnt do anything to it :-( So I decided DIY this myself and the first order of business was to get VagCom

1: MY NEW VAGCOM CABLE AND CD...I needed it to recode the new secondhand canbus gateway i picked up :)

2: THE OLD CANBUS GATEWAY: VERSION F: So after an hour or so of stuggling to take this stupid thing out, hell, after a few scratches to my hand, it was out with the old and in with the second hand one...i to copy everything from the old to the new though and that took some time :-)

3: REMOVING TO OLD RCD300: this was the real easy part, took me 20 minutes so...
Image Image

4: FINALLY FITTED: SOME PICTURES :)
Now isnt that a perfect fit :) Just loves it...and he big screen too

Very Nice...

Welcome to Volkswagen...The welcome screen when you switch it on...

Radio

Playing an MP3 CD...reads the MP3 tags...i love that...

Track listing on the MP3 CD, in folder "Top 50"

Free Space on the harddrive...enough space for atleast my favourite albums...the rest can stay on the iPod :)

Copying tracks from the MP3 CD to the harddrive

Popped in a DVD...

DVD at night
Music at night

5: STILL TO BE DONE:
I still need to get the antena adapter, because the old RCD300 has seperate rear inputs for the AM & FM cables that are far apart, where in the RNS510 they are so close that an adapter is needed...Will see if i can find one locally and if not will buy one on ebay for $20

Then its the SA maps for the SATNAV, will have to look for someone who can load them for me for a fee :-)

Then i have to sort out all those errors i found in the VagCom...hehehehe...that will be fun...

Keanublack
Cadet

Post by Keanublack »

pocketpower wrote:Keanu,

where do i find the model number of the unit?i also purchased one 2nd hand recently,and i am in the process of having it fitted.
was not aware of the CanBus situation though.how do i know what is required for my headunit?
Hey, my RNS510 unit number is 1T0 051 680B, mine is a version B....You have to change your CanBus gateway to a version L or later because if you dont the unit will drain your batteryin a matter of days :crazy: ...Mine has been in the car for a week now and i had such problems yet cause i fitted and recoded a version L from an Audi A3 that i got at a scrapyard. To see what version canbus you have fitted, the guys at any VW dealership can check it on their system so long you take your VIN number along, or plug in vagcom, it will tell you.

you will also need the SATNAV antenna, my unit came with it...also the radio antena adapter if you had a RCD300 like mine...and also the SATNAV maps to navigate...thats all if i remember correctly....

Awesum
Lieutenant

Post by Awesum »

Well done dude.
Looks very nice.

I've never heard of any of those radio stations. :oops:
2019 Polo GTI

Ex 2013 Tiguan 2.0TDI
Ex 2016 Golf VII R, DSG
Ex 2007 Golf V GTI DSG
Ex 2002 Golf IV GTI
Keanublack
Cadet

Post by Keanublack »

Awesum wrote:
I've never heard of any of those radio stations. :oops:
hehehe, those are some channels from Ireland, that's where i bought the unit from :-) I gues when I get my antenna adapter I will be able to pick up our local radio stations...

Le Clue
Field Marshal
Registered for: 14 years 6 months
Car Model: Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
Membership No: 1458

Post by Le Clue »

Awesome DIY man!!!!
Previous Rides:
2016 VW Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
2011 VW Golf Mk6 R
2007 VW Golf Mk5 GTI
2013 VW Polo 6R GTI
2011 VW Scirocco GT 2.0TSI
2010 VW Golf Mk6 GTI
2007 VW Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
2009 VW CitiRox 1.6i
magsta
Porra Love

Re: Update: RNS510 finally fitted & its awesome

Post by magsta »

Keanublack wrote:
magsta wrote:and and and and?
hehehe, ok Magsta, here is finally an update of what i did so far.
Bro, top notch stuff there... That head unit is so stunning... Well done.
When you coming to visit?
ImageImage
Membership No. 1372
Current:
2021 Tesla Model 3
Past:
Seat Leon FR Sport (190)
Keanublack
Cadet

Re: Update: RNS510 finally fitted & its awesome

Post by Keanublack »

magsta wrote: When you coming to visit?
thanks man, i love it too...work was been kinda hectic tho, but maybe i can drive down this Saturday and I'll come with my vagcom and laptop :) on condition obviously that you will give me the settings of how you do those pics :)

but i will confirm :0

johnjm
Prince of Darkness

Post by johnjm »

hey man i got your PM. no need for a fee we can meet up and I can give you a nav disk. I am trying to source a newer DVD though (VW only have the 2007 maps like mine) and will probably use a bmw disc soon as they have a 2009 version out.

I have the map dvd image on my hdd so can easily write you disk - will take some trial and error as the satnav only recognises disks written in a certain way via magicso I can also give you the new VW firmare to upgrade you B version to C - you'll then have voice control :)

Also, there is no need to buy the antenna adapter, you can just pop off the plastic bits with a screwdriver to make them fit on your unit.

Ill show you the button sequence to activate video in motion.

congrats on the great thread on this - oh, which scrap yards did you go to? im trying to source a steering wheel and the new climate control systems found in MK6's.
oettingerA4
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 6 months
Car Model: GOLF 4 CABRIOLET
Membership No: 1841

Post by oettingerA4 »

guys phone Lui 082-566-5921, his Zenec agent in Sa. Has all what you need. Discs, antennas steering controls,
"on the 8th day God created a HONDA, on the 9th day he traded it in on a VW"
Keanublack
Cadet

Post by Keanublack »

johnjm wrote: hey man i got your PM. no need for a fee we can meet up and I can give you a nav disk. I am trying to source a newer DVD though (VW only have the 2007 maps like mine) and will probably use a bmw disc soon as they have a 2009 version out.

I have the map dvd image on my hdd so can easily write you disk - will take some trial and error as the satnav only recognises disks written in a certain way via magicso I can also give you the new VW firmare to upgrade you B version to C - you'll then have voice control :) Ill show you the button sequence to activate video in motion.
Thanks man, I will definately take you up on your offer. Since you are doing me this huge favour you can just tell me when and where will be mosty convenient to you and i will be there. I have a full copy of MagicISO on my laptop, so i dont think i will have a problem with writing the image to a DVD. Whats the name of the new BMW SatNav DVD? Maybe I can also look out for it :-)
Also, there is no need to buy the antenna adapter, you can just pop off the plastic bits with a screwdriver to make them fit on your unit.
I thought of that when i was fitting the unit, but i was afraid of damaging the cables, so i decided look for one. i couldnt find one locally, so i bought one from ebay for AU$40 (R270) including shipping...i'm tracking the item and it will be here sometime net week :-)
congrats on the great thread on this - oh, which scrap yards did you go to? im trying to source a steering wheel and the new climate control systems found in MK6's.
i usually go to Bishops in edenvale, i usually find what i look for there most of the time :-) I'm still looking for the Gti steering wheel with control buttons...

I'm also thinking of getting the MDI interface so i can connect my ipod to the unit...do you have one installed in your car and how does it functions?

mk2-phreak
Captain
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by mk2-phreak »

Keanublack wrote:
johnjm wrote: hey man i got your PM. no need for a fee we can meet up and I can give you a nav disk. I am trying to source a newer DVD though (VW only have the 2007 maps like mine) and will probably use a bmw disc soon as they have a 2009 version out.

I have the map dvd image on my hdd so can easily write you disk - will take some trial and error as the satnav only recognises disks written in a certain way via magicso I can also give you the new VW firmare to upgrade you B version to C - you'll then have voice control :) Ill show you the button sequence to activate video in motion.
Thanks man, I will definately take you up on your offer. Since you are doing me this huge favour you can just tell me when and where will be mosty convenient to you and i will be there. I have a full copy of MagicISO on my laptop, so i dont think i will have a problem with writing the image to a DVD. Whats the name of the new BMW SatNav DVD? Maybe I can also look out for it :-)
I thought of that when i was fitting the unit, but i was afraid of damaging the cables, so i decided look for one. i couldnt find one locally, so i bought one from ebay for AU$40 (R270) including shipping...i'm tracking the item and it will be here sometime net week :-)
i usually go to Bishops in edenvale, i usually find what i look for there most of the time :-) I'm still looking for the Gti steering wheel with control buttons...

I'm also thinking of getting the MDI interface so i can connect my ipod to the unit...do you have one installed in your car and how does it functions?
hi, you mind pm'ing me the details of the ebay seller? i have a friend who wants to buy and fit this unit into his GTI