AUDI Navigation Plus System (RNS-E) - iPod/MP3 Help

This forum is designated for In Car Entertainment discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
ace_the_house_cat
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 10 months
Car Model: Mr Bean-Mobile
Membership No: missing

AUDI Navigation Plus System (RNS-E) - iPod/MP3 Help

Post by ace_the_house_cat »

Hey guys,

I have two issues:

The RNS-E/MMI unit in question:

1. After having a look at the wife's TT I noticed the iPod connection in the glovebox (mine has a CD changer the exact location). After connecting the iPod (4th generation iPod Touch) it doesn't charge. Furthermore, in the CD/TV menu there's no iPod option only "CD"and "MP3", the latter for the SD card. I have also tried selecting the "CD Changer" function but all 6 CDs are greyed out.

Is there some sort adaptor/programming that's missing from the unit in order to get the iPod connection working?

2. There are two SD card slots behind the radio. After checking a few international forums they've all mentioned the following: The card must be formatted in FAT/FAT32, must not exceed 4gb in size, file length must not exceed 64 characters and the cheapo SD cards work better.

I have tried the above with both a 4gb SDHC SD cars as well as a cheapo 2gb micro-SD card (with adapter). The result (in my both cars) is that it only plays 5 songs. I have conformed to the above and all files are .mp3 format.

Anyone have any tips and tricks?
His: MINI JCW GP2
Hers: AUDI TT 3.2 Roadster
Ex: AUDI TTS Roadster
Ex: RenaultSport Megane RB8
Ex: RenaultSport Clio 4 EDC
Ex: RenaultSport Clio 3
Ex: MK3 Polo Playa
Gollum
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 7 months
Car Make: Renault
Car Model: Megane RS

Re: AUDI Navigation Plus System (RNS-E) - iPod/MP3 Help

Post by Gollum »

Yea. . . Sell the GHD.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
marzbars
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 1988 Corrado 16V
Membership No: 1316

Post by marzbars »

The ipod cable I had on my RNS-E replaced the Shuttle in the cubby, but no track names came through and was also not powered so no charging, it was just displaying Track 0001 - Tack n and diabled the ipod with limited functionality through the headunit
madracer21
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by madracer21 »

ace_the_house_cat wrote:Hey guys,

I have two issues:

1. After having a look at the wife's TT I noticed the iPod connection in the glovebox (mine has a CD changer the exact location). After connecting the iPod (4th generation iPod Touch) it doesn't charge. Furthermore, in the CD/TV menu there's no iPod option only "CD"and "MP3", the latter for the SD card. I have also tried selecting the "CD Changer" function but all 6 CDs are greyed out.

Is there some sort adaptor/programming that's missing from the unit in order to get the iPod connection working?

2. There are two SD card slots behind the radio. After checking a few international forums they've all mentioned the following: The card must be formatted in FAT/FAT32, must not exceed 4gb in size, file length must not exceed 64 characters and the cheapo SD cards work better.

I have tried the above with both a 4gb SDHC SD cars as well as a cheapo 2gb micro-SD card (with adapter). The result (in my both cars) is that it only plays 5 songs. I have conformed to the above and all files are .mp3 format.

The RNS units are very very finicky with music on the SE cards.
Song names, name lengths, type of formating on the card etc.
Get a non HC SD card, they work way better. Very gard to find now. The micro SD cards with adaptors dont work eell either.

Do you have the LCD or LED HU?
The LED has the surround in gloss black, and the SD card worked much better. Also, iirc, they could take up to 16gb instead of the 4gb LCD units.
Think the LED units also worked better with the HC SD cards, plesse check on this though.
ace_the_house_cat
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 10 months
Car Model: Mr Bean-Mobile

Post by ace_the_house_cat »

madracer21 wrote:

I have two issues:

The RNS units are very very finicky with music on the SE cards.
Song names, name lengths, type of formating on the card etc.
Get a non HC SD card, they work way better. Very gard to find now. The micro SD cards with adaptors dont work eell either.

Do you have the LCD or LED HU?
The LED has the surround in gloss black, and the SD card worked much better. Also, iirc, they could take up to 16gb instead of the 4gb LCD units.
Think the LED units also worked better with the HC SD cards, plesse check on this though.
Thanks for the info!

Next I will try source a few non-HC normal sized SD cards and see if they work.

The screens surrounds in both the cars have a matte finish (matching the rest of the unit) so I guess they're the LCD units.
His: MINI JCW GP2
Hers: AUDI TT 3.2 Roadster
Ex: AUDI TTS Roadster
Ex: RenaultSport Megane RB8
Ex: RenaultSport Clio 4 EDC
Ex: RenaultSport Clio 3
Ex: MK3 Polo Playa
Lawry
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 7 months
Car Make: REVO Audi S3 8P

Post by Lawry »

I have two issues:

Just take it out and put in a proper aftermarket unit.... these RNS-E units are old tech so you always gonna have headaches with this crap! mine drove me up the wall!!!!!!! :deadhorse: it was basically good enough to listen to the Radio.... the rest was useless lol.
B_rad
Major
Registered for: 12 years
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Fiesta ST180
Membership No: 1835

Post by B_rad »

Lawry wrote:

I have two issues:

[img]snip[/img]

Just take it out and put in a proper aftermarket unit.... these RNS-E units are old tech so you always gonna have headaches with this crap! mine drove me up the wall!!!!!!! :deadhorse: it was basically good enough to listen to the Radio.... the rest was useless lol.
Did you sell your old unit?

New style units like in the TT and facelift are much better than the old ones.
Lawry
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 7 months
Car Make: REVO Audi S3 8P

Post by Lawry »

Do they fit tho? nah i just searched high and low for an OLD ASS SD card 2GB... mine wasnt the RNS-E+... mine was the RNS-E so yeah i was royally pissed off... haha even with MP3 discs it's full of ****. and the so called DVD player function is only for the satnav...WTF!? ugh just thinking about the RNS-E makes me wanna break **** LOL
madracer21
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by madracer21 »

Lawry wrote:Do they fit tho? nah i just searched high and low for an OLD ASS SD card 2GB... mine wasnt the RNS-E+... mine was the RNS-E so yeah i was royally pissed off... haha even with MP3 discs it's full of ****. and the so called DVD player function is only for the satnav...WTF!? ugh just thinking about the RNS-E makes me wanna break **** LOL
+1 it was a frustrating system with the SD card and song names and formats etc.
Once you had it figured it was ok, but you limited to 2GB / 4 GB.

OP why not contact Ulrich from Vagtec, maybe you can trade your LCD for LEd units.
Also, he maybe able to give you more specific information on capabilities.