help needed - Polo 9n3

This forum is designated for In Car Entertainment discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
Keshan_G
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 9 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n3 GTi

help needed - Polo 9n3

Post by Keshan_G »

Hi Guys,

I recently amplified the stock mids on my polo 9n3, however i noticed that whenever i turn up the volume the amp seems to go into protection.

I have an aftermarket head unit (Kenwood)
Star sound 7 band Pre amp
Camtec 2000w 4ch amp
Audio Bank 4500w Monoblock
Targa super tweeters
4gauge wiring kit
12inch Targa 4d Street

Before amplifying the speakers i only had the sub and monoblock connected to the car, so I used the 4 gauge power cable from the battery and got a distribution block for power for the second amp,
I connected the earth for the 4ch amp to a separate earthing point in the car as well.

I hooked up the speaker cables from the original wiring loom in the front behind the head unit and ran it to the 4ch amp at the back.

I initially thought that this is a power problem and decided to turn down the gains on the mono block amp but still i get the same problem, i then turned down the gain on the 4ch amp - still the same result. I also double checked that the earthing points are still tight, and before earthing i sanded off the surface paint of the surface that i grounded the amps too. i used the seat belt bolts by the seat for grounding both amps.

Could I have mixed up the polarity of the speakers when doing so? and if so does any body have a wiring diagram for the polos? (I did try google but nothing fruitful came of this)
Could the amp be damaged?
Or could it be that i need to run a seperate 8gauge power cable from the battery in the front instead of using the distribution block?

Thanks for the help guys
Current:
'07 Blue Polo GTi 9n3
Powerflow 76mm DP- 63mm Zorst> 90deg intage/cone> Forge TIP> Forge Splitter DV> Forge Charge Pipe> Cupra FMIC> BC Coilies> R8 Coilpacks> 4Bar FPR > Devils Own Stage2 WMI
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Re: help needed - Polo 9n3

Post by ICE King »

Howzit bud,

Issue is not power related if the amps power light goes on but consider upgrading your setup to 0 guage with a distribution block then into each amplifier would be recommended. Also make sure your fuse in front is rated for your two amps)

(4 gauge might work but if the load is too much, wire will get warm and melt then its goes boom like a ford kuga :lol: )
Is the protection light on , on the amplifier? does it go into protect immediately after turning the system on?

if yes , disconnect all speakers and RCA's from amp and check if it still goes into protect, If yes the amp is damaged ,
if no , reconnect speaker by speaker to isolate the problem child.

The polo's run a mid and a tweeter in front and at the back , the ohms will need to be tested with a multi meter, maybe someone has tested this before?
Going below the amps stable ohm rating will result the amp going into protection mode.

are you running separate RCA's from the pre amp to the amps?
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
Keshan_G
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 9 months
Car Model: Polo 9n3 GTi

Post by Keshan_G »

hey bro,

thanks for the response,
I did some fault finding rather yesterday, so i disconnected the super tweeters and now everything works 100% - i think one of the super tweeters may have popped causing an open circuit resulting in the amp going into protection.

thank you for the help :grin:
Current:
'07 Blue Polo GTi 9n3
Powerflow 76mm DP- 63mm Zorst> 90deg intage/cone> Forge TIP> Forge Splitter DV> Forge Charge Pipe> Cupra FMIC> BC Coilies> R8 Coilpacks> 4Bar FPR > Devils Own Stage2 WMI
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

Sweet! glad you came right and it was that simple.
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned