Help with sound set up

This forum is designated for In Car Entertainment discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
El Toro
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Help with sound set up

Post by El Toro »

Hi all. Happy New Year to everyone out there. I need some help and advice on the sound system in my car.

I replaced the stock radio in my car with a pioneer unit and also replaced the front splits. Been like that for a while and now got myself a 4 channel pioneer (G M - A4604 ) amp and a Targa TG-F10D dvc sub. I want to hook up the front splits and the sub to the amp. Now I know some guys told me to get a separate amp for the sub but I can't afford another amp and space is also an issue hence me wanting to use the 4 channel amp.

So first question is can this be done ok and with me not risking damaging the amp or sub or splits etc...

Second question is being a dvc sub what is the best way to connect it to the 2 channels on the amp. Series or parallel. Or is it better to connect each coil to one channel on the amp.

Third question is regarding the splits. Is it better to put one mid and one tweeter on one channel or the other way around with the 2 mids on one channel and the tweeters on the other.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.
Da Stigg
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 09 CitiSport 1.4i
Membership No: missing

Re: Help with sound set up

Post by Da Stigg »

Howzit bra, compliments to you too.

Firstly is your sub a dual 2 or dual 4 ohm coiled and also what is the indicated RMS rating?

That amp is rated at 60watts/40watss per channel 2 and 4 ohms respectively. Indicates 120w bridged at 4 ohms.

So if your sub is a dual 4 ohm you can either get 40wats per coil by wiring each coil to a channel to give it 80watts total, or bridge it at 8 ohm(coils wired in series) and give it probably about 60watts.

However if your sub is a dual 2, it works to your benefit as you can then still wire in series to get a 4 ohm load and get the most(120watts) from the amp bridged.

The 2nd scenario will give you more output as you going to be getting just about double the power from the amp.

With regards to your splits. Generally splits come with a passive crossover between the mid and tweeter, so each channel should be wired to that passive and then the mid and tweeter will be wired to that passive which will send the power/signal to each as the passive splits it. If you wired the tweeter or mid directly to the amp that is running active and becomes a lot more involved.

Hope this helps
El Toro
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by El Toro »

Hi thanks for your response. With regards to the sub, the only info I can get is that it says the impedance load is 2/4/8 ohms. And the watts say it is 2500 peak. With that info how do I know for sure if it is dual 2 or 4 ohms?
Tbird
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Post by Tbird »

When you bought the sub, the box would have said if its a dual 4 ohm or dual 2 ohm sub.

The specs are generic for all the different coil configurations.

https://www.soundmatch.co.za/Products/P ... subwoofer-
Ex 04 Golf Chico 1.4

69 Datsun Sunny 1000 UTE
09 Kawasaki KLR 650
88 VW Jetta CSX
Beeno
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 8 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK2 Tiguan 1.4TSI
Membership No: 3090

Post by Beeno »

Happy New year and all that lekker stuff!
Like Da Stigg said, front split per channel (mid+tweeter per channel, else you lose your stereo effect and staging). Best to check your sub coils first, you can use a multimeter set to resistance, each coil will read close to what the rated impedance is (DC resistance is usually around 3.6 ohm for 4ohm impedance for example). It's not ideal to connect a coil per channel because your amp channels never have the exact same output and could cause long term damage, so I would suggest bridging.
Dual 4ohm - you could run a coil per channel if they're dual 4ohm and you plan to add a mono block in the very near future, but if you have to run for long term, rather series and bridge (your amp can't run lower than a 4ohm bridge safely).
Dual 2ohm - series the coils and bridge across 2 channels (most ideal scenario for your amp)
Tiguan MK2 1.4 TSI Comfortline
Limestone Grey G7 GTI DSG
BMW 2004SA
Mfanlihle
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: 1989 Mk1 Citigolf 1300

Post by Mfanlihle »

I had almost the same setup on my golf. My sub is dual 4ohm so I ran just one coil to amp bridged off the rear channels making it a 3 channel config. Since the individual channels are 2 ohm stable unbridged, I could get away with 1 mid 1 tweeter in each front channel with passive x-overs for the tweeters. Nothing ever got cooked. Plus i ran separate RCA,s from the pre amp for front and sub on the rear channels of the amp. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk