Best dimensions for a single ported slim 10inch box?

This forum is designated for In Car Entertainment discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
Spoilt01
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 9 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: CitiRox 1.4i
Membership No: missing

Best dimensions for a single ported slim 10inch box?

Post by Spoilt01 »

Hi All,

I would like to ask the sounds guys for advise on the best dimensions and design for a single ported subwoofer box for a citigolf boot.
The subwoofer I will be getting is either the Pioneer TS-W260D4 1200W 10" DVC or Pioneer W261D4 1200W DVC-4 10".
There isn't much great places in Cape Town to go to (on a budget) and I'm not to excited at the workmanship of the 'normal' sound shops
here like soundmatch and the lot.... They charge a arm and leg for poorly finished products IMO.

Thanks!
Kavi4GP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 9 years 7 months
Car Make: Toyota
Car Model: Corolla D4-D
Membership No: 2016

Re: Best dimensions for a single ported slim 10inch box?

Post by Kavi4GP »

Look at what the product recommends and what you want , since ported you want bass not so much quality of it , try to get the correct amount of volume and the right size port.

Everyone has there own wants but experienced this twice with JBL and Pioneer subs , in sealed units.

Both times they where either to small or to big , got it close to recommend size , sounded way better than the harsh change in bass and the hollow empty bass( and the **** rattle)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Current:
2017 Toyota Corolla D4-D Ultimate Performance Tuned
2013 A3 1.6 TDi S-Tronic 8V.1

EX:
2014 Polo 1.2 TSI Comfortline CPi Tuned
2013 Ford Focus 2.0 Sport
2011 Hyundai i20 1.4
2006 Toyota RunX
Killerwatt
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 15 years 11 months
Car Make: AUDI
Car Model: S3

Post by Killerwatt »

Okay so I just simulated some enclosures for these subs. It seems to give a very peaky response in both sealed and ported. This is due to a unusually high qts of 1.04. Maybe pioneer published the spec wrongly. If not then this sub would be a bit of a one note wonder.

Whats your budget and musical preference? IMO this is not a sub I would use.
Spoilt01
Cadet

Post by Spoilt01 »

Killerwatt wrote:Okay so I just simulated some enclosures for these subs. It seems to give a very peaky response in both sealed and ported. This is due to a unusually high qts of 1.04. Maybe pioneer published the spec wrongly. If not then this sub would be a bit of a one note wonder.

I am not that much into spending on sound but do like a decent system. Nothing over the top or spl...
I have the following items already installed in the vehicle:

Pioneer DEH-X1750UB
Pioneer TS-R1350S 3-way 250W
Starsound SSA-TI-3250.1 3250w

I had a 12inch (Starsound) in previously but would like some more boot space. Also wasn't really playing it that loud all the time so no real need for heavy bass. The 10inch is much smaller box and sub size as a whole and enough bass for me. I would just like to get the box dimensions spot on to maximize the efficiency of the sub. Another two subs within my budget I see they offer (Soundmatch) are:

Starsound Digital SSW-S10-3200 10" 3200W 2Ohm Subwoofer
Starsound Digital SSW-S10-3200 3200W DVC-4 10" Subwoofer

I read that the ported box gives more bass and less stress on the sub itself (coils magnet etc... not 100% sure). I do prefer a more punchier bass than droning sound which a sealed box would give? Can you give me some advise?

Thanks!
Spoilt01
Cadet

Post by Spoilt01 »

Killerwatt wrote:Whats your budget and musical preference?
Sorry missed this, mostly rap and r+b. Occasional trance.
jippo
Lieutenant
Registered for: 10 years 11 months
Car Model: ST

Post by jippo »

Killerwatt wrote:Okay so I just simulated some enclosures for these subs. It seems to give a very peaky response in both sealed and ported. This is due to a unusually high qts of 1.04. Maybe pioneer published the spec wrongly. If not then this sub would be a bit of a one note wonder.

Where do you run simulations?
F30 320d
ex: Focus ST250
Citi 007
Lieutenant
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Model: Citi 1.8i Ltd
Membership No: 1972

Post by Citi 007 »

http://www.autostyle.co.za/car-audio/ca ... r-box.html

here you go - make life a lot simpler and buy an enclosed sub. theres a couple other budget subs on the website.

Not saying these are the audiophile equipment but from what i see from your posts, you will be happy with something like this.