sound system Upgraded Golf 6 convertible

This forum is designated for In Car Entertainment discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
JonoSound13
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

sound system Upgraded Golf 6 convertible

Post by JonoSound13 »

Hello Guys,

Perhaps someone can assist me here, I have kept my factory head unit (touch display), added a 4 channel amp to run each speaker, (I have removed the stock speakers in the front doors and replaced them with a split system, in the back I have kept the stock speakers) I then have a mono block amp running a DVC 10inch sub in the boot.

All works fine, yet I have lost quite a huge amount of lower mid range in the sound, the highs and low bass is there but nothing in the middle, anyone have any suggestions?
Kid_Rocc
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Scirocco 2.0TSI
Membership No: 3007

Re: sound system Upgraded Golf 6 convertible

Post by Kid_Rocc »

Where you based

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk
JonoSound13
Enlisted

Post by JonoSound13 »

Cape Town
Kid_Rocc
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 1 month
Car Model: Scirocco 2.0TSI
Membership No: 3007

Post by Kid_Rocc »

Check your rca connections or use the fader on the deck to fade to the front.

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk
Beeno
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 8 years 3 months
Car Model: MK2 Tiguan 1.4TSI
Membership No: 3090

Post by Beeno »

check your high pass filter settings on your 4-channel, might have your cut-off frequency set too high. If it doesn't have any frequency adjustment on high-pass, try running it on full pass instead
Tiguan MK2 1.4 TSI Comfortline
Limestone Grey G7 GTI DSG
BMW 2004SA
JonoSound13
Enlisted

Post by JonoSound13 »

I have tried full pass, I have tried sending more lower mid to the rear and higher to the front and setting the sub-woofer to a lower pass, but it just does not change.

I have tried about 10 different settings and no change
Beeno
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 8 years 3 months
Car Model: MK2 Tiguan 1.4TSI
Membership No: 3090

Post by Beeno »

do you have a line driver or active x-over in the system? I'm assuming you've used a LOC to convert speaker wires for the RCA inputs of your two amps? check if there aren't any x-over settings there you may have missed, also check your speaker wire polarities on LOC and outputs from the amp, if they're out of phase you'll cancel out the lower frequencies of your door speakers (above what your sub plays, higher frequencies are not as susceptible to phase cancellation).
Tiguan MK2 1.4 TSI Comfortline
Limestone Grey G7 GTI DSG
BMW 2004SA
JonoSound13
Enlisted

Post by JonoSound13 »

From the head unit I have used a high to low feed converter for the RCA cables, all my connections are 100% positive to positive and negative to negative.

Not sure If I should just go back to the factory system? or is there just a Speaker upgrade available from VW that I can just run on the full pass
Killerwatt
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 15 years 11 months
Car Make: AUDI
Car Model: S3
Membership No: missing

Post by Killerwatt »

I also suspected some phase issues but if you certain on the conections then that should be fine.

Lets start with an equipment list. What splits, amps and sub do you have. What are the crossover settings on the amps? (Frequency and slope). Is bass boost activated?

You can try this.
Turn the gain on the sub amp and rear speakers to minimum. Set the front channel to full pass, turn off the bass boost and set any equilisation on head unit to zero/flat.
If things still don't sound too good then there is either an issue with the installation or the splits just don't sound too good. You can see what adjustments are availible on the passive crossover. Especially tweeter attenuation.

If things sound better then you may have some cancelation between either the sub and front splits or the rear speakers and front splits.
JonoSound13
Enlisted

Post by JonoSound13 »

I think its cancellation between all speakers, I know for home and concert high power systems there are phase adjustments etc, but can you get something to get the phases in a car correct
Killerwatt
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 15 years 11 months
Car Make: AUDI
Car Model: S3
Membership No: missing

Post by Killerwatt »

Yes there are a many DSPs that will let you do phase shifing and time alignment. But you need to know where the phasing issue lies before you can fix it. Unless you have a JBL MS8.
Hence my last post to try and find your issue.