Golf 7 Gti, improving sound

This forum is designated for In Car Entertainment discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
mk2fanatic
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Golf 7 Gti, improving sound

Post by mk2fanatic »

Hi i recently purchased a golf 7 gti, also purchased a f30 bmw , now the bmw has harmon kardon package and it sounds amazing, comparatively the golf sounds really weak, is there anyway i can upgrade the sound of the golf, not really concerned about big bass just the clarity and volume(bmw is much louder).Thanks in advance .
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Re: Golf 7 Gti, improving sound

Post by Unobeat »

I am not sure where you are based and what is your budget?
Maybe visit one of the sound around your area.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Killerwatt
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 15 years 11 months
Car Make: AUDI
Car Model: S3
Membership No: missing

Post by Killerwatt »

Budget will help with suggestions.
But something allong the lines of upgrades front splits, an amp and a small sub will make for a nice upgrade.
Beeno
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 8 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK2 Tiguan 1.4TSI
Membership No: 3090

Post by Beeno »

I've installed Focals in the doors (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MG8PGiSXrD ... 165VW.html) and added some deadening mat which sounds great without any further upgrade. I've also added a 5 channel Alpine amp (MRX-V70) and an 8" Kicker sub. I've made a harness with OE male/female plugs to intercept the speaker connections on the back of the Head unit, so no splicing/cutting/warranty-void/... amp takes high level inputs and auto-senses switch on/off so no remote wire jippo needed.
My suggestion is start with upgrading your door speakers with some decent replacements first and adding some deadening mat, you'll get a wider frequency response (more low end bass and crisper high frequencies). The OE speakers and their install is not that great, but the head unit is not too shabby.
Tiguan MK2 1.4 TSI Comfortline
Limestone Grey G7 GTI DSG
BMW 2004SA
Amith11
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years 2 months
Car Make: DUH !!!
Car Model: MK7 GTI
Membership No: 1545

Post by Amith11 »

Hi,

Had the same issue and the xcite (spelling could be wrong) system that is an optional extra is pathetic in my view.

I added a set of splits upfront and a 10" with side mounting and have not looked back !

Done is through a gentlemen Suli (Hygrade) with all Gladen equipment.

Depends on your budget
Volume is not something I personally look for
MK 7 GTi
(Daily)
amith.singh@icloud.com

Lost Loves:
Mk4 Tdi Wagon
MK4 TDi
Mk4 GTI .:R (True Love)
MK3 Cabriolette 2.0l Exec
Mk2 GTI 1.8 8V
Mk1 Caddy
Mk1 GTS (4door)
mk2fanatic
Cadet

Post by mk2fanatic »

Beeno wrote:I've installed Focals in the doors (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MG8PGiSXrD ... 165VW.html) and added some deadening mat which sounds great without any further upgrade. I've also added a 5 channel Alpine amp (MRX-V70) and an 8" Kicker sub. I've made a harness with OE male/female plugs to intercept the speaker connections on the back of the Head unit, so no splicing/cutting/warranty-void/... amp takes high level inputs and auto-senses switch on/off so no remote wire jippo needed.
My suggestion is start with upgrading your door speakers with some decent replacements first and adding some deadening mat, you'll get a wider frequency response (more low end bass and crisper high frequencies). The OE speakers and their install is not that great, but the head unit is not too shabby.

Thanks for info Beeno, so those focal speakers have to be run of an amp ? Or are thet ok run off the original HU ?
Beeno
Wheel Whore

Post by Beeno »

They can be run straight of the stock HU, mounted right you won't miss having a sub. I ran them in on the stock HU first, I added the amp to run the sub mostly
BMW 2004SA
mk2fanatic
Cadet

Post by mk2fanatic »

Beeno wrote:They can be run straight of the stock HU, mounted right you won't miss having a sub. I ran them in on the stock HU first, I added the amp to run the sub mostly

Thanks for the info ..now to find a set
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

I have the Dynaudio setup in my MkVII R and love it. Have you listened to a MkVII with Dynaudio and if so how does it compare to the Harman Kardon in your BMW?
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
Le Clue
Field Marshal
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Model: Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
Membership No: 1458

Post by Le Clue »

Neuk wrote:I have the Dynaudio setup in my MkVII R and love it. Have you listened to a MkVII with Dynaudio and if so how does it compare to the Harman Kardon in your BMW?
Yup - Dynaudio FTW... I have read on a few forums that the HK comes 2nd best when compared to Dynaudio....
Previous Rides:
2016 VW Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
2011 VW Golf Mk6 R
2007 VW Golf Mk5 GTI
2013 VW Polo 6R GTI
2011 VW Scirocco GT 2.0TSI
2010 VW Golf Mk6 GTI
2007 VW Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
2009 VW CitiRox 1.6i
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

Le Clue wrote:
Neuk wrote:I have the Dynaudio setup in my MkVII R and love it. Have you listened to a MkVII with Dynaudio and if so how does it compare to the Harman Kardon in your BMW?
Yup - Dynaudio FTW... I have read on a few forums that the HK comes 2nd best when compared to Dynaudio....
That is interesting, the Harmon Kardon setups have always been great from what I have heard. I enjoy the Dynaudio and the SatNav unit, perfect for the music that I like to listen to.
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
Kavi4GP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 9 years 8 months
Car Make: Toyota
Car Model: Corolla D4-D
Membership No: 2016

Post by Kavi4GP »

Neuk wrote:
Le Clue wrote:
That is interesting, the Harmon Kardon setups have always been great from what I have heard. I enjoy the Dynaudio and the SatNav unit, perfect for the music that I like to listen to.
Burmester still the best.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Current:
2017 Toyota Corolla D4-D Ultimate Performance Tuned
2013 A3 1.6 TDi S-Tronic 8V.1

EX:
2014 Polo 1.2 TSI Comfortline CPi Tuned
2013 Ford Focus 2.0 Sport
2011 Hyundai i20 1.4
2006 Toyota RunX
Le Clue
Field Marshal
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Model: Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
Membership No: 1458

Post by Le Clue »

Kavi4GP wrote:
Neuk wrote:
Le Clue wrote:

Yeah well also 5 times the price?
Previous Rides:
2016 VW Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
2011 VW Golf Mk6 R
2007 VW Golf Mk5 GTI
2013 VW Polo 6R GTI
2011 VW Scirocco GT 2.0TSI
2010 VW Golf Mk6 GTI
2007 VW Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
2009 VW CitiRox 1.6i
Kavi4GP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 9 years 8 months
Car Make: Toyota
Car Model: Corolla D4-D
Membership No: 2016

Post by Kavi4GP »

Le Clue wrote:
Kavi4GP wrote:
Neuk wrote:
Le Clue wrote: Yup - Dynaudio FTW... I have read on a few forums that the HK comes 2nd best when compared to Dynaudio....

Yeah well also 5 times the price?
The system on the c-class was not far off the 3 series upgrade or the a4

Current:
2017 Toyota Corolla D4-D Ultimate Performance Tuned
2013 A3 1.6 TDi S-Tronic 8V.1

EX:
2014 Polo 1.2 TSI Comfortline CPi Tuned
2013 Ford Focus 2.0 Sport
2011 Hyundai i20 1.4
2006 Toyota RunX
jaredm
Captain
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by jaredm »

Beeno wrote:I've installed Focals in the doors (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MG8PGiSXrD ... 165VW.html) and added some deadening mat which sounds great without any further upgrade. I've also added a 5 channel Alpine amp (MRX-V70) and an 8" Kicker sub. I've made a harness with OE male/female plugs to intercept the speaker connections on the back of the Head unit, so no splicing/cutting/warranty-void/... amp takes high level inputs and auto-senses switch on/off so no remote wire jippo needed.
Hey bud

Is the harness the same as the G6's?
2015 Golf VII GTi Performance Pack DSG
Mk2 Golf 2.0l 16v Exec

Ex:
2012 Edition 35 Dsg CPI Stg2
Golf 6 .:R DSG CPI Stg2+
Scirocco 2.0TSi DSG K04
Golf 3 VR6 Turbo
Golf V GTi DSG
Mazda 3 MPS
Beeno
Wheel Whore

Post by Beeno »

Hey, sorry for delayed reply... I'm not 100% sure because I haven't fiddles with 6, but the quadlock plugs and pin-outs are the same across the MQB platform. The plugs I used to make the wire harness is from an aftermarket BT car-kit, only compatible with Audi A1/3 and Golf7.
BMW 2004SA