VW MIB 2 Radios - Apple Carplay & Android Auto

This forum is designated for In Car Entertainment discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 3 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Re: VW MIB 2 Radios - Apple Carplay & Android Auto

Post by Neuk »

Neuk wrote:
Neuk wrote:I am going to stop using CarPlay for a few days and simply connect my iPhone via Bluetooth and see how it goes. From the little I have used an iPhone via Bluetooth in a VAG car versus using my iPhone via CarPlay in my R, I am not sure the R3500 i worth it for CarPlay if you don't have access to it already.
Arg, yesterday went well using my phone via Bluetooth, this morning my phone connected, I made a phone call but I couldn't play any music.
Worked great on the way home yesterday, so not sure why it wouldn't yesterday morning, I am preferring the normal Bluetooth connection over CarPlay thus far.
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
AlexTDi
Field Marshal
Registered for: 12 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '15 Polo GTI
Membership No: 1724

Post by AlexTDi »

Neuk wrote:
Neuk wrote:I am going to stop using CarPlay for a few days and simply connect my iPhone via Bluetooth and see how it goes. From the little I have used an iPhone via Bluetooth in a VAG car versus using my iPhone via CarPlay in my R, I am not sure the R3500 i worth it for CarPlay if you don't have access to it already.
Arg, yesterday went well using my phone via Bluetooth, this morning my phone connected, I made a phone call but I couldn't play any music.
Yea its sometimes frustrating because all apps these days can play some sort of music so between the iPhone and Radio something gets confused.

What I picked up if you can't play music directly from the control center the radio won't recognize it as a BT audio device

So once it's connected via bluetooth you'll need to open the music app on your phone and select a song, then when it's playing you will be able to select songs on your radio and navigate through the playlists.

Also make sure your volume is up on your phone lol #rookiemistake :fear:
Alex
VWCSA Member No. 1724

Daily: '06 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE
Race Car: Polo Vivo GT

EX:
Daily:
'15 6C Polo GTI DSG
'06 1.9 TDI Sportline
'06 BMW 320D M-Sport
Weekend Toy: '84 Golf MK 1 GT
Race Car: Golf MK1 2 Door

https://www.facebook.com/AMRacing89
Awesum
Lieutenant
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Car Model: Tiguan
Membership No: 999

Post by Awesum »

I wish these units could read Android playlists over BT :(
Apple works fine.
2019 Tiguan 2.0TDI, R-Line
2019 Polo GTI

Ex 2013 Tiguan 2.0TDI
Ex 2016 Golf VII R, DSG
Ex 2015 Polo 6C GTI, DSG, Pure White
Ex 2014 Golf VII GTI, DSG, Tornado red
Ex 2010 Scirocco 2.0TSi, DSG; Candy White; Revo, 20" RS6 wheels; Coiled looow.
Ex 2010 Golf VI GTI Dsg, Tornado Red, 19's, Revo 2
Ex 2008 Golf V GTI DSG, Riding on 19"s
Ex 2007 Golf V GTI DSG
Ex 2002 Golf IV GTI
Ex 1991 Golf II GTi 2.0 16V
Ex 1991 Jetta II CLi 1.8 8V Exec
AlexTDi
Field Marshal
Registered for: 12 years 7 months
Car Model: '15 Polo GTI
Membership No: 1724

Post by AlexTDi »

kripstoe wrote:
Neuk wrote:Pleasure. I try stick to jpegs due to their file size and as square as possible. I didn't have any issues with loading the ones I did.
What you need to do is make them 160x20 pixels, 24bit with transparency, PNG files.

I updated mine recently after getting the new car. You can download here http://www.mediafire.com/download/a106s ... s_v3.0.zip to get the updated ones, and see what I did.

Gives it a nice, consistent look.
Thanks for the link :thumbup:
Alex
VWCSA Member No. 1724

Daily: '06 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE
Race Car: Polo Vivo GT

EX:
Daily:
'15 6C Polo GTI DSG
'06 1.9 TDI Sportline
'06 BMW 320D M-Sport
Weekend Toy: '84 Golf MK 1 GT
Race Car: Golf MK1 2 Door

https://www.facebook.com/AMRacing89
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

Neuk wrote:
Neuk wrote:
Worked great on the way home yesterday, so not sure why it wouldn't yesterday morning, I am preferring the normal Bluetooth connection over CarPlay thus far.
It has worked great the last few days, I have been able to make phone calls, listen to music, etc. and I don't really miss CarPlay at all, especially as CarPlay would open the apps it used like Music and I would have to go back to the apps I wanted to display like Waze.
AlexTDi wrote:
Neuk wrote:
Yea its sometimes frustrating because all apps these days can play some sort of music so between the iPhone and Radio something gets confused.

What I picked up if you can't play music directly from the control center the radio won't recognize it as a BT audio device

So once it's connected via bluetooth you'll need to open the music app on your phone and select a song, then when it's playing you will be able to select songs on your radio and navigate through the playlists.

Also make sure your volume is up on your phone lol #rookiemistake :fear:
Its worked fine since, everything controlled via the car with the exception of Waze.
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
Stefancpt
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 1 month
Car Model: Golf MK7 R

Post by Stefancpt »

Hi Guys, new to the forum. Have just purchased a 2016 Golf R with Composition Media. The manual states it has Android and Carplay, but I don't even have the App connect logo on the radio menu. Have chatted to VW who seem to be clueless. sent an email to VW who responded this morning indicating this feature as well as voice control is not available in SA.....
I cannot comprehend how all these functions can work in all other countries bar ours? There must be a software download etc that will work? Any ideas? Dealers in SA who are more clued up/helpful?
Any help would be appreciated, really want carplay to work.

Thanks
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

Stefancpt wrote:Hi Guys, new to the forum. Have just purchased a 2016 Golf R with Composition Media. The manual states it has Android and Carplay, but I don't even have the App connect logo on the radio menu. Have chatted to VW who seem to be clueless. sent an email to VW who responded this morning indicating this feature as well as voice control is not available in SA.....
I cannot comprehend how all these functions can work in all other countries bar ours? There must be a software download etc that will work? Any ideas? Dealers in SA who are more clued up/helpful?
Any help would be appreciated, really want carplay to work.

Thanks
They are mistaken, I have App Connect and Voice Control in my R, but I have the SatNav radio with Composition Media.

From what we have found out, AppConnect requires a licence/activation key which is an additional cost on the non-SatNav MIB II radio's. We were looking at it for my wife's Tiguan but in my opinion, having used Apple CarPlay, it is not worth it.
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
verooch
Enlisted

VW MIB 2 Radios - Apple Carplay & Android Auto

Post by verooch »

As of the 17 February 2016, VW SA officially supports App Connect: CarPlay, MirrorLink and Android Auto.

The word is that this is for Model Year 16 Gen 2 Radio’s only, although these have been in production since 2015 - so check the VIN number with a dealer to see if you can have this feature unlocked.
Stefancpt
Enlisted

Post by Stefancpt »

VW Hatfield in Bryanston told me today that the "part" has been ordered and thst it should be here in a week or two... Will keep you posted.
Thanks
Polo05
Lieutenant
Registered for: 17 years 8 months
Membership No: 1271

Post by Polo05 »

verooch wrote:As of the 17 February 2016, VW SA officially supports App Connect: CarPlay, MirrorLink and Android Auto.

The word is that this is for Model Year 16 Gen 2 Radio’s only, although these have been in production since 2015 - so check the VIN number with a dealer to see if you can have this feature unlocked.
Still a cost associated with unlocking the feature?
Current
8v RS3 Sportback
1990 MK1 Cabriolet
Ex:
2015 MK 7 .:R
2005 Polo Hatch
1984 MK1 GX - Bagged
2013 MK 7 GTI DSG
Golf 4 V6 4motion
1982 Mk1 GTS
2007 Golf 5 GTI - K04
charliesjc
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 5 months

Post by charliesjc »

I contacted Hatfield Bryanston. The salesman that sold me my Polo gave me the part number and person to speak to in Parts. R3600 for the code to unlock. Also needs a service appointment to make it happen. I nearly vomited on the spot. Not paying that for something that quite honestly should be included in the Composition Media upgrade in the first place.
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

charliesjc wrote:I contacted Hatfield Bryanston. The salesman that sold me my Polo gave me the part number and person to speak to in Parts. R3600 for the code to unlock. Also needs a service appointment to make it happen. I nearly vomited on the spot. Not paying that for something that quite honestly should be included in the Composition Media upgrade in the first place.
I haven't used Android Auto but Apple Carplay is not worth R3600 extra over what Composition Media already allows you to do via Bluetooth.
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
dchosking1988
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years

Post by dchosking1988 »

I just took delivery of my new polo 2016 gti, and I have the same issue. There is no app connect / mirror.

I am sending it in again in a couple days to have smash and grab installed just wondering if it's worth having app connect activated.

Anyone using it here and with what applications?

Oh also when I try use the voice it says 'not available' is that a extra adding too?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
AshTDi
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 8 months
Car Model: Golf 7 GTI
Membership No: 1823

Post by AshTDi »

dchosking1988 wrote:I just took delivery of my new polo 2016 gti, and I have the same issue. There is no app connect / mirror.

I am sending it in again in a couple days to have smash and grab installed just wondering if it's worth having app connect activated.

Oh also when I try use the voice it says 'not available' is that a extra adding too?

Well you didn't waste time in joining the forum! [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Spinning is not Winning

2014 Golf VII GTI
Viper Performance turboback, VWR R600 cold air intake
179kw 398nm

2008 Mazda 2 (the green goblin) - Ex

2008 Polo 1.9TDi Highline 96kw - Ex
Seat Sport FMIC, PD 160 Intake, K&N Filter, 63mm Freeflow exhaust, Mufflerectomy, Decat, 63mm Downpipe, EGR Delete, CPI Stage 2, Launch control, Full house exterior xenons

2005 Polo 1.9TDi 74kw - Ex
Stage 1 , Decat - VTec Auto
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

dchosking1988 wrote:I just took delivery of my new polo 2016 gti, and I have the same issue. There is no app connect / mirror.

As per some of my earlier posts, having used App Connect and the normal Bluetooth connection, I don't think the extra money is worth it.
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
dchosking1988
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years

Post by dchosking1988 »

Lol @AshTDi was trolling the forum for days before I even got the car ;-)

@Neuk that's not the point, I was told as one of the selling points that the car definitely had mirror link. So regardless of if it's worth it or not I shall push for them to activate it

Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

dchosking1988 wrote:@Neuk that's not the point, I was told as one of the selling points that the car definitely had mirror link. So regardless of if it's worth it or not I shall push for them to activate it

You asked if it was worth it, I answered, that was the point.
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
Kavi4GP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 9 years 7 months
Car Make: Toyota
Car Model: Corolla D4-D
Membership No: 2016

Post by Kavi4GP »

dchosking1988 wrote:Lol @AshTDi was trolling the forum for days before I even got the car ;-)

@Neuk that's not the point, I was told as one of the selling points that the car definitely had mirror link. So regardless of if it's worth it or not I shall push for them to activate it

Is it pn you build sheet ? If not then you have to pay , if it is then just need activation

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Current:
2017 Toyota Corolla D4-D Ultimate Performance Tuned
2013 A3 1.6 TDi S-Tronic 8V.1

EX:
2014 Polo 1.2 TSI Comfortline CPi Tuned
2013 Ford Focus 2.0 Sport
2011 Hyundai i20 1.4
2006 Toyota RunX
Stefancpt
Enlisted

Post by Stefancpt »

Was finally contacted by VW Hatfield in Bryanston last week, they told me they got the code finally for carplay, so booked the car in on Friday, the they call me to say the car is ready but they couldn't get the update to work..... They also told me it would cost 3600.00 but that this would be waived by VW SA...
They (VWSA) need to get their act together and stop treating us like 3rd world citizens when we pay first world prices....Its seriously as if NO ONE know what they are talking about at VWSA.
Kavi4GP
VWCSA Member

Post by Kavi4GP »

Stefancpt wrote:Was finally contacted by VW Hatfield in Bryanston last week, they told me they got the code finally for carplay, so booked the car in on Friday, the they call me to say the car is ready but they couldn't get the update to work..... They also told me it would cost 3600.00 but that this would be waived by VW SA...
They (VWSA) need to get their act together and stop treating us like 3rd world citizens when we pay first world prices....Its seriously as if NO ONE know what they are talking about at VWSA.
They dont , hard for them to understand ive had it since 2014 but it never worked the way it should. Keep thinking I want it activated.

Current:

EX:
2011 Hyundai i20 1.4
2006 Toyota RunX
charliesjc
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 5 months

Post by charliesjc »

Stefancpt wrote:Was finally contacted by VW Hatfield in Bryanston last week, they told me they got the code finally for carplay, so booked the car in on Friday, the they call me to say the car is ready but they couldn't get the update to work..... They also told me it would cost 3600.00 but that this would be waived by VW SA...
So are they basically saying that it should be free now?
Kavi4GP
VWCSA Member

Post by Kavi4GP »

charliesjc wrote:
So are they basically saying that it should be free now?
Think that car had it installed but not activated properly , on mib2 it wont show if not installed, some cars have it preinstalled others dont show it at all

Current:

EX:
2011 Hyundai i20 1.4
2006 Toyota RunX
Stefancpt
Enlisted

Post by Stefancpt »

Sorry for the late reply, they basically saying that is SHOULD work according to the model of the radio but that they haven't received the PROPER software from Germany. Once they do get it, they will let me know and then install it for free as it should have been preinstalled on the radio.
What they dod mention was that the software version they received would work on the larger 8" radio with satnav. I have the smaller 6.8" screen.
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

Stefancpt wrote:Sorry for the late reply, they basically saying that is SHOULD work according to the model of the radio but that they haven't received the PROPER software from Germany. Once they do get it, they will let me know and then install it for free as it should have been preinstalled on the radio.
What they dod mention was that the software version they received would work on the larger 8" radio with satnav. I have the smaller 6.8" screen.
The 8" SatNav radio's come pre-installed and licensed with CarConnect whereas it is an option on the smaller 6.8" units. This was certainly the case last year when we bought my wife's Tiguan and then my Golf.
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
jakehawk
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by jakehawk »

Good morning guys,

I hope someone can help me. I read this thread with great interest. I recently bought a Polo GTi with MIB II Gen 2. The dealership prior checked if it is App Connect compatible, which technically it should be, but on arrival they could not get it to work.

The App Connect icon is not on the menu, from what I understand this means that there needs to be a software update for it to appear? I see that the software is currently version 0352.

I am not sure what to do next, any advice?