Kokmobile S3 Rebuild (& The dangers of dealing with fellow forum members)

Want to show off your pride and joy to others, THIS is the place to do it!
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting on the VWCSA Forum as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

VWCSA Forum Posting Rules and Guidelines
THANAS
Lieutenant-Colonel
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MkV Jetta TFSI Sportline
Membership No: 2035

Re: Write-off S3 Rebuild (& The dangers of dealing with fellow forum members)

Postby THANAS » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:58 pm

JasonCPT wrote:So you bought an S3 for R34k and expected a show car? Lol.

Everyone knew the state this car was in and that it needed pretty much a complete restoration to be a properly neat/working car again.

You have always had a chip on your shoulder Michael, there must always be an issue with someone when it comes to you and even if there isn't, you'll end up creating one.

Yes, the seller is a friend, but not even I would've bought that car because of the amount it work it needs. It will take a super long time to get that car up to standard again. To be honest I definitely think you realized that only after you bought it and now regret your decision. I would regret it too, but 10/10 would not try and make it the sellers problem to try get out of it. Its actually fcuking disgusting.

Hi Jason,

This seems like a personal attack on me, using my own thread as a platform. Not sure where you find the relevance but nonetheless. Justifying the value of the car against what was received, to me, shows that you have missed the point completely. I wouldn't have paid any amount for what I received, and you seem to share the same sentiment, but the non-disclosure of certain critical items robbed me of the ability to make an informed decision. I was in no way expecting a show car (as I clearly opened with).

In your own words:
but not even I would've bought that car because of the amount it work it needs

If you had read my post properly, I made a calculated decision, which was, unfortunately, based quite heavily on trust in the seller. If I had known of half of the issues (work it needs), I would never have even considered it. But now I'm just repeating myself, you can read the original post if you are still unsure.

To be honest I definitely think you realized that only after you bought it and now regret your decision

100% correct, I went on what I was told, what was presented to me as the condition of the vehicle, which was unfortunately very far from the reality of what I received. The disclosed issues I weighed up and decided that it would be feasible to fix and use my own labour and knowledge to rebuild and enjoy, expecting me to anticipate everything that wasn't disclosed is just not reasonable. But yes in a way I should have known better than to trust someone that I hadn't met.
Last edited by THANAS on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
__THANAS
__Image
__@thvnvs
__Daily:
__Jet-Li
__Project:
__BoostCreep
__ManilaMoo
__Ex Project:
__PikaPika
__20VTerror
__Rodney the BT Jetta 4
__CCBB ADY Citi

Rourke
Cadet

Postby Rourke » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:02 pm

Sorry to hear as well thanas.

I have sold 2 vw's in the past and i must admit not on this forum but on the gum/olx.

the reason for this is that there were issues with my cars( which i have fully disclosed on both occasions) and i felt that they are not worthy in my opinion to be sold here to a forum member.

I do feel disgusted at the way people try and doop a honest guy.

On the way forward thanas if you keeping the car long time it might not be worth it in cash at the end but it shure will be worth it for thrills etc in the long run .

Many people taking on projects always say that time and money pushed into it will never be recovered and if this is true than i dont see how you can simply let go .

You have the skill etc to get it done wright . Push on brother if you can ofcoz . its still your decision at the end of the day.

They are scares and taking it from the point that its a s3 awd it might or definitely will increase in future value so you might still be fine cash wise in the future

good luck what ever you decisions.

THANAS
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby THANAS » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:04 pm

G-spot wrote:I'm slightly shocked by this post, I don't get much time to spend on the forum these days yet even I knew what state that car was in

This post reeks of sellers remorse TBO, Trying to blame the seller for you buying a car unseen is cowardly, Unless of course denied to see the car which I doubt. Why would you not ask a friend to go look at a car for you beforehand.

This is the crux of the matter, he would have been the person that I would have asked to go and see the car, it was sold to me as a car that needed a bit or work with some fairly serious problems as I listed in the original post, all of which I accepted. If the true extent of the issues, which cannot have been anything but obvious to the seller, had been disclosed to me and I still chose to buy it and then wanted a come back then I accept that would be buyer's remorse.

To re-iterate, I knew the car was in a poor condition, but it was not sold to me as being in a scrappable condition, which it actually is in.
__THANAS
__Image
__@thvnvs
__Daily:
__Jet-Li
__Project:
__BoostCreep
__ManilaMoo
__Ex Project:
__PikaPika
__20VTerror
__Rodney the BT Jetta 4
__CCBB ADY Citi

THANAS
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby THANAS » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:11 pm

Rourke wrote:Sorry to hear as well thanas.

I have sold 2 vw's in the past and i must admit not on this forum but on the gum/olx.

the reason for this is that there were issues with my cars( which i have fully disclosed on both occasions) and i felt that they are not worthy in my opinion to be sold here to a forum member.

I do feel disgusted at the way people try and doop a honest guy.

On the way forward thanas if you keeping the car long time it might not be worth it in cash at the end but it shure will be worth it for thrills etc in the long run .

Many people taking on projects always say that time and money pushed into it will never be recovered and if this is true than i dont see how you can simply let go .

You have the skill etc to get it done wright . Push on brother if you can ofcoz . its still your decision at the end of the day.

They are scares and taking it from the point that its a s3 awd it might or definitely will increase in future value so you might still be fine cash wise in the future

good luck what ever you decisions.

Yeah, I've tried to be as open as possible about all potential issues with cars that I've sold. I expected the same, and that was clearly a mistake.

Nikz_tsc wrote:What were the plans for the car though?

It was as a project car, that I could spend time on and then potentially sell in future, not easy to sell an accident damaged vehicle, as I will definitely disclose that to any potential sellers. Look it's a moot point, this is a rides thread after all, I'll be detailing the progress, and hopefully something can come of it eventually.
__THANAS
__Image
__@thvnvs
__Daily:
__Jet-Li
__Project:
__BoostCreep
__ManilaMoo
__Ex Project:
__PikaPika
__20VTerror
__Rodney the BT Jetta 4
__CCBB ADY Citi

billionairebum
Cadet
Car Model: 1.9 TDI Sportline

Postby billionairebum » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:13 pm

Anyway....Plans going forward?

Life-R
Cadet
Car Model: Polo
Membership No: missing

Postby Life-R » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:14 pm

If restoring is not an option i vote turn it into a track car, strip to shell, install a roll cage and one race seat, get motor and four wheel drive into working condition and im sure there will be some joy in buying it
Current
2014 Polo Bluemotion 1.2 TDi
Cobra Suspension/OEM Carbon mirror caps/Gloss black Audi R8 reps/Gloss black emblems/Gloss black roof wrap

Ex
2007 Polo GTi 1.8T
Stealth Tuned/Powerflow DP/PD160+CAI/Forge 008 DV/Forge TIP/4Bar FPR/Seat Sport FMIC/JOM Coilovers
2004 Citi Life 1.6i
Unichip/Viper Branch/Powerflow Exhaust/K&N Filter

Nikz_tsc
TSC Garage
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Mk7 GTi
Membership No: 2093

Postby Nikz_tsc » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:18 pm

THANAS wrote:

It was as a project car, that I could spend time on and then potentially sell in future, not easy to sell an accident damaged vehicle, as I will definitely disclose that to any potential sellers. Look it's a moot point, this is a rides thread after all, I'll be detailing the progress, and hopefully something can come of it eventually.

So in the short of it, you bought a beater, to fix up, enjoy and sell?

You take a financial knock modding any car as there is no possible way to recoup funds poured into a project. You do it for the fun of it. You have a nice car that can be a decent donor/track day car. You might as well make lemonade out of this or cut your losses and move on, like one would do with any other project.
Current: Mk7 Gti

Previous: Ibiza Cupra 20vT; Polo GTi 20vt

TSC Garage
Performance Tuning Solutions
[email protected]

Rourke
Cadet

Postby Rourke » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:21 pm

Nikz_tsc wrote:
THANAS wrote:

So in the short of it, you bought a beater, to fix up, enjoy and sell?

You take a financial knock modding any car as there is no possible way to recoup funds poured into a project. You do it for the fun of it. You have a nice car that can be a decent donor/track day car. You might as well make lemonade out of this or cut your losses and move on, like one would do with any other project.

My point axactly

:driving:

good luck

DzlBoyWP
Cadet
Car Make: AUDI
Car Model: A3 8P3 TDI

Postby DzlBoyWP » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:27 pm

Its almost like in Tableview when the South Easter blow on this thread...Klomp Saltiness..Eish
Thursday Milkshake Crew
Current:
Audi A3 8p3 2.0 TDI SL CR140 MRC Tuning
Stock: 106kw 337nm (Dynotech)
Stage 1+: 146kw 433nm (Dynotech)
Previous
Polo 9n3 TDI pd100 SRtuned
Stage 1: 116kw 356nm (Dynotech)
Stage 2+ : 138kw 450nm (Dynotech)

Kyle
VWCSA Member
Car Make: Porsche
Car Model: Adidas TYP 64
Membership No: 1922

Postby Kyle » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi Guys,

So the car was obviously bought from me.. I'm not sure why this was not declared initially.

There have been plenty offline discussions around the vehicle, well before Thanas even thought about buying it.. to say that I intentionally witheld information is a huge exaggeration, as is much of his post. It's surprising that so many people have jumped on the bandwagon here, blindly taking his word for it.

The bottom line is that everyone loves a great deal (see luck), but when you have to pay a fair price for something it eats you from the inside. Thanas had drawn a mental picture of what he expected the car to be, and simple chose not to listen to me because of his own excitement. This is a case of someone deliberately trying to find faults in order to strengthen their argument, I mean.. I could go look at an absolute mint condition S3 and still come back with a list of faults. There are some issues that are honestly unreasonable to expect someone to identify... Without even mentioning that he was well aware that the car had been parked off since I bought it, and that I had spent a VERY limited amount of time in it.

I met every single demand made by Thanas during the sale, including driving 100km behind a flatbed to make sure the car reached the depot safely, the pictures that were sent through were the best I could do, there were several vidoes sent though as well. If he was unhappy with any of the pictures he received, he should have requested more.

I had honestly tried to describe the faults to the best of my ability, and from what I remembered. Expecting me to list every broken clip on a car that has stood for almost a year is honestly madness. In terms of the car being a write off... What? There is zero structural damage, just because airbags have been deployed does not mean the car should be written off...

My exact description were along the lines of - I have no idea what's wrong with the engine, I wish I did, but I didn't.. If I had known exactly what was wrong mechanically then I would have probably fixed it and actually made a profit from it. The car needed a blow-over, but you could get away with a wetsand and polish depending on the level you wanted to get it to, I specifically mentioned that the bumpers definitely needed to be painted and that the slides were broken, and the interior had general wear and tear (this was and still is my take on it).

Nevertheless, we continued to chat via WhatsApp around his plans for the vehicle, I was completely honest and open with him during this time, however this seemed to be his way of gaining some ammo for an honestly disgusting email that was to follow (more on this later). It is extremely unfair to take chats that were conducted as friends and turn them into ammunition. This is exactly what happened. Up until this point, if he had requested a refund or some money back, I would have happily obliged seeing as though there were a few issues present that I was genuinely unaware of, however, I am not unwilling to entertain any claims made by him. As you can see below, many of the issues in his initial mail have been edited after receiving my reply, which just strengthens my point.

So let's get to the "Innocent" email that sparked my response to him :

Good afternoon,

I would like to convey my complete dissatisfaction with the purchase of the vehicle, owing to extenuating issues that I believe were intentionally withheld, I’m not going to skirt the topic any further, you did not disclose the majority of what was wrong with the vehicle, and acted in bad faith in that regard. The declared issues were:

1.) The ESP and CEL lights were on, perhaps an ABS ring sensor (as mentioned by yourself) perhaps something else.
2.) The car had some cosmetic issues, "needed a wetsand" in your words
3.) The car had a misfire/cam timing issue and possibly other engine issues/sensors etc.
4.) The seats had signs of wear
5.) The interior had gotten wet at some point
6.) The wheels were curbed, in need of a refurb

That was the extent of what I expected when deciding to purchase it, based on your responses to my questions on what was wrong/needing fixing, I took your word for it as we had a good relationship and I didn’t expect to be done over by a friend. What I definitely wasn't told about/expecting (none of which any reasonably intelligent person would be capable of missing:

7.) Missing rear view mirror
8.) Cubby that had fallen out, all clips broken, this couldn't have been missed during your ownership
9.) Lighter tray not closing
10.) Storage tray not closing
11.) Passenger window not working/fallen down and propped up, you said someone had forgotten the window open not that it was basically permanently open.
12.) Passenger airbag deployed and then disabled, airbag light on, this I only saw during the video of you starting it, and from the faults, it can't have been a new thing. 6 Airbag faults for the passenger side, the car has clearly been in a side crash.
13.) Door cards completely trashed, someone has ripped off the linings and all that remains is old glue
14.) Flat tyres
15.) Broken Alternator
16.) Missing cam splash covers
17.) Rattling noise from the cambelt side of the motor
18.) Missing pipes, sensors removed from the engine bay
19.) Driver side headlight clips broken off (previously glued) headlight hanging loose
20.) Headlight on driver side not working
21.) EGT sensor fault, missing sensor faults (EVAP,N112,N249 etc)
22.) Serious ESP faults (comms with ABS module, G202 lateral sensor), No AWD functionality.
23.) Trashed gearknob
24.) Driver side headlight not working
25.) Alignment is way out, car tracks to the left badly.
26.) Boot lock/sensor not working, showing as permanently open
27.) Windscreen surround has been temporarily sealed with what looks like silicone, the windscreen is also not the correct one for an S3.
28.) Rust on various parts of the vehicle/gutters etc.
29.) Clutch is completely worn, with minimal travel.
30.) Cam position sensor fault (even thought the TSC invoice shows it being replaced)
31.) Gear selection is difficult and I struggle to get reverse
32.) Interior lock faults
33.) The exterior and interior was absolutely disgustingly dirty and is not fit for someone to sit in for longer than a few seconds, this coming from someone who prides themselves on vehicle detailing
34.) The exterior of the vehicle is in terrible condition, neither bumpers fit properly and are cracked, the paint is faded and the clearcoat has failed in multiple locations, the bootlid is dented below the window.

These are only issues that I’ve seen based on hacing the vehicle's control modules scanned, and a superficial inspection. I have not had the car on a lift and I shudder to think of what else I would find.
In short, you misrepresented the vehicles condition and have caused me significant financial loss, and sadly I believe this was done intentionally to get yourself out of a difficult situation, as no rational person would miss these issues. your misrepresentation removed my ability to make an educated decision. I would never have purchased this car. I would never have even considered it if I had known the extent of the issue which were not declared. I trusted someone I had never met, and that was a complete mistake. You paid R25k for it (Initially told me R20k, but let’s go with R25k) and believed that you had added R9k worth of value by doing a cambelt service on it, it’s utterly ridiculous. You said it needs around R20k to fix, in reality it needs around R60-80k to fix properly.

We signed a voetstoets deed of sale, but this deal was meant to be based on good faith, which I did my part in. You have acted in complete bad faith as saying that I knew the risks when purchasing sight unseen is simply unacceptable for a deal between friends, as it implies that hiding issues is part and parcel of every private car sale, and it’s the buyer’s fault for getting done over, which I refuse to accept. I am now stuck in a situation where I will not be able to sell the car for what I paid for it even after fixing further issues, as I cannot and will not hide issues from potential buyers, the most I can expect is around R15-25k, as such I would like to give you the opportunity to remedy this situation as I do not believe it fair that I take a massive hit because of your inability to act with transparency.

I would consider any of the following options that allow for this situation to be resolved amicably:

1. The car is returned at your expense and arrangement, the sale price is refunded (R34k) I will accept the loss of the transport cost that I paid (R800 + R950 + R5200 = R6950).

2. You refund me the amount above which you added in an undue profit at my expense (R34k – R25k = R 9k, the car is worth next to nothing in my opinion and a cambelt service does not add value to a extremely poor condition, accident damaged vehicle.

I would like to avoid it but I am at liberty to make these matters public knowledge as I believe it’s my responsibility as a member of the SA car community to protect others from the damaging effects of dishonesty amongst fellow enthusiasts.

I sincerely hope that your consider my suggestions and that this does not have to be taken further.

Regards,

Michael Papathanasiou

And my Response :

Michael,

I hope this finds you in good faith.

Let me start this by saying that your many complaints do not take me by surprise, judging by your words about the vehicle since you took delivery. I am however surprised and quite personally disturbed by your apparent tendency to accuse me of withholding information, which is basically tantamount to calling me a liar, something that you are the first to do. You have also accused me of misrepresentation, to somehow enhance my chances of making a quick buck? Note that these are mere concoctions stemming from your own opinionated, intellectual capacity - which you are most definitely free to have and believe in, but I feel the need to point out to you that mentioning these whimsical fantasies in the manner that you have done are not necessary and are, in fact, offensive and unappreciated.

I must however concede in my disappointment with most of your assessments as many of the issues below (those of substance, at least) were most definitely disclosed to you to the best of my ability during our initial and ongoing discussions in and around the full extent of the duration that the sale was conducted.

To be frank, your email is nothing short of crass, insulting and actually a lot of your content is quite irrelevant, and so I don’t believe it deserves any sort of response whatsoever. Nevertheless, I will try to satisfy and dissect your comments on a point-to-point basis.

Firstly, let it be known that I am not a mechanic, nor am I skilled in mechanical repairs, my knowledge is based on what I am told by professionals in the trade. Your statement that certain issues should be picked up courtesy of “reasonable intellect” is quite ludicrous. Were you implying a lack of intellect on my part? Even if this is the case, I wonder what it has to do with the condition of the vehicle.

You seem to forget my very clear disclosure to you that I had only driven this vehicle on one occasion for a very short distance. You also seem to forget the plenty discussions that followed, whereby the detail that we discussed should have painted a very clear picture of the vehicle in your mind. (You also had very clear pictures and videos sent to your phone.)

You also seem to forget that I had considered personally sending the car down to you for repairs as I could not get it repaired locally. How then, did you expect me to have detailed diagnostic reports on the vehicle?

It must be stated, and it must be understood that in fact no information was withheld from you (intentional or otherwise) and that you were FULLY aware that you were buying a vehicle that was in need of a lot of work. Note that I cannot account for the state of your awareness after-the-fact, but only for the fact that I had made mention of all the issues that I knew of.

Let’s have a look at the issues, as described by you:

1.) The ESP and CEL lights were on, perhaps an ABS ring sensor (as mentioned by yourself) perhaps something else. – I don’t own VCDS, if you wanted error codes, you could have easily asked me to get the car scanned and a report sent to you. Guidance on my part was taken from professionals.
2.) The car had some cosmetic issues, "needed a wetsand" in your words – In fact, my words were: “The car needs a respray, but you could get away with a wetsand and polish, depending on the level you want to get the car to.”
3.) The car had a misfire/cam timing issue and possibly other engine issues/sensors etc. – This statement is correct. These issues were described to you to the best of my knowledge, and are, in fact, correct.
4.) The seats had signs of wear – Correct.
5.) The interior had gotten wet at some point – Correct.
6.) The wheels were curbed, in need of a refurb – Correct (Damage was shown clearly to you in pictures and video formats).

Now, let’s address your second list (of “Actual” damage):

Since you have decided to indulge in whimsies and opinions, here is my own. I don’t believe that a huge part of this list would have been mentioned by you under normal circumstances. In fact, I believe that they serve the sole purpose of extenuating, magnifying and exaggerating the case that you are trying very hard to pit against me. Indeed, these comments are grossly negligible and poorly thought out, given the overall condition of the vehicle that was, I reiterate, FULLY disclosed. I therefore have highlighted said statements in orange and do not intend to provide any further elaboration.

The vehicle had been parked at Dubcorp for around 6 months, which you were made aware of. You should know it is not uncommon for electrical and mechanical problems to manifest during these periods. There were many things that would have been clearer to me had I been driving the vehicle for any reasonable amount of time, therefore the smaller issues, in my opinion, should not even be on this list, courtesy of nothing but general knowledge. Do not mistake my statements by oversimplifying them to insinuate personal withholding of information/misrepresentation on my part. This is simply the way it is and the way it was communicated to you.

7.) Missing rear view mirror
8.) Cubby that had fallen out, all clips broken, this couldn't have been missed during your ownership
9.) Lighter tray not closing
10.) Storage tray not closing
11.) Passenger window not working/fallen down and propped up, you said someone had forgotten the window open not that it was basically permanently open. – This was most definitely disclosed to you during one of our voice notes which I personally remember. I can only be expected to take ownership for the state of my own memory and not yours.
12.) Passenger airbag deployed and then disabled, airbag light on, this I only saw during the video of you starting it, and from the faults, it can't have been a new thing. 6 Airbag faults for the passenger side, the car has clearly been in a side crash. – The first time I saw the airbag light was basically when I sent you the video. I was not made aware of the errors, as I do not own diagnostic software as previously stated. I doubt a full scan was done since the car only went in for engine work. From my side, there is absolutely no way I could have known about this and you did not request that a full scan be done. Whether you thought so or not is irrelevant, nothing was asked of me in this regard and so I cannot be asked to take responsibility.
13.) Door cards completely trashed, someone has ripped off the linings and all that remains is old glue – This statement has been grossly exaggerated. The leather on the door cards have been removed, the rest of the door card is in perfect condition.
14.) Flat tyres – I sent you pictures of the car at the depot. At this time all tires were inflated. They had been inflated since I bought the car with absolutely no sign/s of leakage. Listing this as a fault on the vehicle is unfair and nonsensical, and is the same as expecting me to be responsible for all future damage to the vehicle while it is under your ownership.
15.) Broken Alternator – Please define “broken”, as stated previously, this would have been picked up easily had the car been in running condition.
16.) Missing cam splash covers – These are internal parts, it is utterly ridiculous to expect me to be aware of its absence… If you ever strip the engine, it must be brought to your attention that I don’t know what kind of rings the pistons have (in case of future rants).
17.) Rattling noise from the cambelt side of the motor – Most definitely disclosed to you. I told you that it was either one of the pumps or a tensioner but that I wasn’t sure.
18.) Missing pipes, sensors removed from the engine bay – You were made aware that deletes were performed on the vehicle.
19.) Driver side headlight clips broken off (previously glued) headlight hanging loose
20.) Headlight on driver side not working – How would I know this? No really, think about it.
21.) EGT sensor fault, missing sensor faults (EVAP,N112,N249 etc) - You were made aware that deletes were performed on the vehicle.
22.) Serious ESP faults (comms with ABS module, G202 lateral sensor), No AWD functionality. – Once again, I do not own VCDS, nor have I had the suspension components scanned. I would like to know how you have tested the AWD system?
23.) Trashed gearknob
24.) Driver side headlight not working
25.) Alignment is way out, car tracks to the left badly
26.) Boot lock/sensor not working, showing as permanently open
27.) Windscreen surround has been temporarily sealed with what looks like silicone, the windscreen is also not the correct one for an S3. – Was not aware of this, could I please have the number of the windscreen company that you consulted? I am most certainly no expert in automotive glass, expecting me to bring this to your attention is again… ludicrous.
28.) Rust on various parts of the vehicle/gutters etc. – Please provide proof, this was something that I did not pick up.
29.) Clutch is completely worn, with minimal travel. – Please provide proof of a worn clutch. I will repeat myself AGAIN, I drove the car for a very short distance, this did not present itself as an issue for me.
30.) Cam position sensor fault (even though the TSC invoice shows it being replaced) – I have asked you whether I should get TSC to replace this part under warranty via WhatsApp, which I did not receive a response to.
31.) Gear selection is difficult and I struggle to get reverse
32.) Interior lock faults
33.) The exterior and interior was absolutely disgustingly dirty and is not fit for someone to sit in for longer than a few seconds, this coming from someone who prides themselves on vehicle detailing – Bringing my passion for detailing in to this is irrelevant and very much unappreciated. Note that you were caught up in your own haste to take delivery of the vehicle and this had nothing to do with me. Regardless, I had still made an attempt to clean the vehicle over the weekend before it left Durban, however I had explained to you that this became very difficult due to bad weather and a lack of premises. I’m not sure why this has even been brought up since I have offered to have the car valeted at a professional shop at my own expense. You did not respond to my offer. I would like to know how then did the expectation of a clean car occur to you?
34.) The exterior of the vehicle is in terrible condition, neither bumpers fit properly and are cracked, the paint is faded and the clearcoat has failed in multiple locations, the bootlid is dented below the window. – I specifically stated that the vehicle would require a respray. I also specifically stated was the fact that the bumper sliders needed work.
Now, let’s discuss the monetary factor.
What I paid for the car is my business, and so is the price I have sold it for. Would you go to Checkers and tell them to sell you something at cost price because in YOUR opinion, their mark-up is unjustified? I had made it very clear to you that I am selling the car to cover my costs, which are actually above the sale price. I am not going to waste my own time trying to figure out how you arrived at a R9000 cambelt service. If you would like to justify this, you are welcome to do so.
Now, in terms of the vehicle’s value – the last time I checked the retail value, it was R89 000 for one in good condition. You purchased this one for R34 000. Had you received a vehicle that was worth more than the purchase price, would you have contacted me offering more money? You would not - which is why is the thought of asking me for any kind of money is utterly ridiculous.
Michael – From your email, it seems like you feel like you have made a bad decision, one that you are trying to blame on others. Perhaps you thought you were getting a great deal when, in fact, you paid a fair price for something. This seems to be eating away at you. I had hoped that this would be something on which we could work together but I find your demands to be completely unacceptable and your mannerism and etiquette utterly deplorable. I don’t think you realise that even your ethics have now come into question, judging by the way you chose to word this email and go about this issue. Had you been more pragmatic, I am sure we may have reached a more ‘amicable’ understanding.
Look, as a friend, we’ve all been there. You buy something you think would be a walk in the park to fix and it doesn’t end up being so simple. Sometimes you just need to admit that you had made a decision based on emotional impulsiveness and move on. We all need to be responsible for our own actions, instead of trying to blame others. As I have said very clearly before, I have not intentionally withheld any information from you in order to misrepresent/misdirect you in any way, shape or form. I simply disclosed every piece of information relating to the car that I had been aware of, based on guidance from professionals in the trade.
You need to understand that whatever you chose to forget, oversee or otherwise misconstrue is purely your own decision which you must call yourself to book for. I cannot view such ridiculousness as acceptable in terms of my own personal culpability where they were actually just your own misdemeanours. As for your “options” on “amicable solutions”, these are utterly ridiculous and totally unacceptable, and I will not waste any more of my time trying to explain why this is the case. I think I have made it quite clear up to this point. You need to look up and understand the concept of willing buyer, willing seller. Nobody forced you to purchase this vehicle and, once more: Nothing was withheld from you and you were not misled by any stretch of imagination.
If you feel that a rant is justified, then that is your decision to make. However, from this point forward, I will not entertain any discussions around this vehicle.

For those of you who like a little bit of drama, you are more then welcome to name bash all you want.. However the events have been grossly misrepresented and this discussion is frankly not worth your bandwidth.. This is not a matter of an unfair deal, but rather a case of a child exaggerating their cough so their parents feel sorry for him and let him skip school for the day.

I have no doubt that Michael has been expecting this exact reply, and has conjured up a reply that's fit for a soapie on SABC 3, as I said in my emails, I cannot be held responsible for his emotions and memory, only my own.. And I am happy that I tried my best to draw an accurate picture of the car.
Current:
'06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon
'03 S3 8L

Ex:
'11 A3 1.6TDi
'70 VW Beetle 1600 Twin Port
'00 A4 2.4 V6,
'09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T,
2013 Vivo Gran Turismo,
E36 M3 Coupe,
E46 320i Individual MSport,
'98 Civic V Tec,
E36 318is Msport,
E30 318i Coupe,
GOLF MK1 GT

Why make things easy for yourself when you can make them incredibly difficult and complicated.

MarshallGTi
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Postby MarshallGTi » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:42 pm

Crappy situation to be in, but hey think of it as a blank canvas full of S3 potential... A stripped out track toy sounds like an awesome idea.
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v

EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:

Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...

Cherry_Bomber_GP
VWCSA Member
Car Model: Mk5 GTI ED30, Mk2 Rallye
Membership No: 3038

Postby Cherry_Bomber_GP » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:49 pm

Too soon?

NOW> 08' Mk5 Gti Edition30
NOW> 89' Mk2 Rallye G60
EX> 92' Mk2 Gti .:R32 The Original #CherryBomb A.K.A VKY...
EX> 95' Mk3 Jetta VR6 #pigthevr6v2
EX> 85' Mk2 Gti 16v 2door.. The DUB.
EX> 93' Mk3 2.8 VR6 2door...The Pig.
EX> 87' Mk2 Jetta CLX .:R32..

billionairebum
Cadet
Car Model: 1.9 TDI Sportline

Postby billionairebum » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:49 pm

billionairebum wrote:Anyway....Plans going forward?

*Anyway*....Plans? Strip out? Race car?

ALRoN73
Captain

Postby ALRoN73 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:54 pm

Inb4 part out.

MarshallGTi
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Postby MarshallGTi » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:57 pm

ALRoN73 wrote:Inb4 part out.

dibs on front brakes
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v

EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:

Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...

Ian_F
Chairman
Chairman
Car Make: None
Car Model: My Feet
Membership No: 1846

Postby Ian_F » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:04 pm

Cherry_Bomber_GP wrote:Too soon?

You liked that so much you posted it twice?

PM Incoming...

THANAS
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby THANAS » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:31 pm

As stated in the first post I have no interest in a keyboard war or drama, further posts will be content based.
__THANAS
__Image
__@thvnvs
__Daily:
__Jet-Li
__Project:
__BoostCreep
__ManilaMoo
__Ex Project:
__PikaPika
__20VTerror
__Rodney the BT Jetta 4
__CCBB ADY Citi

Rourke
Cadet

Postby Rourke » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:50 pm

Khyle i agree with you as well

remember guys there are always 2 sides to a story and even after that the truth might still not be told.

I think you 2 guys are in a shi*t situation and hopefully you can resolve your issues.

On us guys jumping on the band wagon. I think its mostly based on feelings and experiances we encounted.

I dont think my post was targeting any1( If i did my apologies), i was just posting on my experianse.

hope you guys resolve your issues in the best way possible

THANAS
this is not a build thread until there are pics

Pics please

Mitch
Colonel
Membership No: 1840

Postby Mitch » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:40 pm

Any space left on the band wagon?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

J-10-M
Lieutenant
Car Model: MK5 GTI

Postby J-10-M » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:49 pm

How much was a return flight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G-spot
VWCSA Member
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: 6c Cross polo
Membership No: 1215

Postby G-spot » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:32 pm

THANAS wrote:
G-spot wrote:snip
snip

Honestly dude :roll:

THANAS wrote:he would have been the person that I would have asked to go and see the car
do you only know one guy in KZN?

THANAS wrote:it was sold to me as a car that needed a bit or work with some fairly serious problems as I listed in the original post, all of which I accepted

Do you honestly believe this? Cause if you do you are either extremely ignorant, or have no sense of logic
You bought a car for less than half the going rate of one in less than perfect condition? for less than what the major parts can be sold for. That alone should have tipped you off

THANAS wrote: If the true extent of the issues, which cannot have been anything but obvious to the seller, had been disclosed to me and I still chose to buy it
its honestly not the sellers duty to make sure that you are fully aware of what you are doing

THANAS wrote:I knew the car was in a poor condition, but it was not sold to me as being in a scrappable condition, which it actually is in.

I dont believe that car is in scrappable condition, You might, people are allowed to have different views

Worst case you can make all your money back by fixing the motor and selling it, the gearbox, drivetrain, brakes and seats, which are all sought after items

:violin: :violin: :violin:
Grant Hendry
Membership no.:1215

Current:
2015 VW Cross Polo 1.2TSI
1978 VW Golf 1100 GL
Ex:
2012 VW Golf GTI Edition 35
2007 VW Golf GTI
2006 Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
2012 VW Polo GTI

It will be built not bought, cheap not expensive, driven not hidden, abused and used and most of all I own it and I thrash it...

Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Car Model: '15 Golf R
Membership No: 806

Postby Neuk » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:57 pm

Well, that escalated quickly :lol:

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk Pro
Nic
Membership No.: 0806

Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2015 VW Golf R
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's

J-10-M
Lieutenant
Car Model: MK5 GTI

Postby J-10-M » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:23 pm

Neuk wrote:Well, that escalated quickly :lol:

The car is a phantom as well, still no pickjtas

chucker02
Captain
Car Model: Citi ADY

Postby chucker02 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:32 pm

J-10-M wrote:
Neuk wrote:Well, that escalated quickly :lol:

The car is a phantom as well, still no pickjtas

We all know how the car looks. He will post pics when he feels like it
Current:

2003 Audi A3 1.8t

Ex:

2007 Citi golf. ADY with Spitronics 60-2, Brospeed 4-2-1 branch, Poly mounts and coilies. CCBB Limited edition

Rides Thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=183329

2002 Citi golf. ADY engine with GW carb, Viper 4-2-1 branch, 282 estas cam, 57mm freeflow, GW delarey big brake kit and GW delarey gearbox mounting.

Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=157603

1971 VW beetle, my first love

Life160
Captain

Postby Life160 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:40 pm

Wow - those were two long emails!!
Unfortunate situation to be in - but hopefully you can turn it around into something fantastic.

Good luck with your build bud.
MK6 GTI 12' (APR)

Ex:
Citi Life 01' - 1.6i 8v :(
76.6kw/144nm (RBTS)

Return to “Non-Technical: Rides”